Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

External HDMI on 2109S

This is a basic way to add HDMI for your external television. On the 2109S (and others), FR only gave us air tv coax outside.

I removed the round coax connector on the outside by the tv mount and replaced it with one that had HDMI and coax. I used a hack saw blade and opened the hole as needed. Measure 20 times and cut once as there isn't much room for the screws. I don't remember where I found the jack, but it is a keystone type jack and you can order them configured with what ever you need. I couldn't find what I wanted in black.

If you remove the two drawers above the furnace you will be looking at the hole that you just cut. You will need to bore a hole in the kitchen area side and into the entertainment side wall to route the HDMI through. Drill close to the outside wall and you cannot see the holes you made from the inside. I bought a 10ft HDMI cable and plugged it into the new wall plate. (connect the original coax also). Route the HDMI through the holes. You will have to remove the radio unit and reach down or fish for the HDMI wire.

You can now bring the HDMI through the grommet where the bundle of wires come out for the television. If all you want to do is watch a DVD outside, you can use a female/female HDMI splice and connect your new HDMI to the existing one that would plug into the inside television.

I went a little more elaborate and added a selector switch. I needed to get my Dish signal outside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_181535.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	163.5 KB
ID:	206963   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_181520.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	206964  
Old 06-10-2019, 07:12 PM   #2

I found a dangling orange unmarked coax down behind the radio and traced it to the external satellite connection. I connected it to the wall plate as well as the external HDMI cable I ran. I made a short RG6 coax and fed my Dish receiver. The HDMI that is plugged in the wall plate is coming from my Dish Wally receiver. On the other wall plate connector, I ran a HDMI over to the selector switch. Also in the selector switch is my firestick and the HDMI that originally connected to the internal television for DVD. The output of the selector goes to the internal television. It can also be plugged into the "outside tv" jack and I can watch DVD or firestick there.

I move the HDMI from inside tv to external tv as needed.

The small toggle next to the wall plate kills all power to the radio. When the radio is off (standby), it is too bright at night for sleeping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_185740.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	107.0 KB
ID:	206971   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190610_185804.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	206972  
Old 06-10-2019, 08:21 PM   #3
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahall View Post
[...] The small toggle next to the wall plate kills all power to the radio. When the radio is off (standby), it is too bright at night for sleeping.
Lots of great work here. Well done and thanks for sharing.

But, that last mod is my favorite. I'm convinced that no employee from FR has ever slept in a Mini/Micro Lite. Between microwave, radio, water pump switch, water heater switch, and refrigerator LED, it's a freaking laser light show. Absolutely brutal design work.

I turn switches off (no morning showers) and cover the LEDs ... but the radio was a bugger until now. I may look into adding a toggle like that. Very nice.

TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2019, 08:55 PM   #4

I have a piece of black construction paper over the fridge lights. I just lift it up to turn it on/off. I found a suction cup like the kind your wife would stick on your kitchen window that would have a plastic bird hanging on it, painted it black and that goes over the microwave light. Hot water heater off at night. Wife really has to have it dark to sleep... I can sleep in the sunshine. I took cardboard and cut to the shape of the front window and painted it black. Raise the pleaded blind, put it in and it is held tight by the blinds. Did the same for the bed side windows. The slide oval access door glows and heat from outside passes through it. I cover it with a piece of reflectix with velcro after we set up.

Tags
210, 2109s