Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2010, 02:24 PM   #1
Nights Camped in 2010 - 2

First Camp.--- Next Weekend -- Measuring Level

Hello,
I will be taking my 2011 2604 out next Friday for the weekend for the first time. My wife and I are very excited. What is the best method to measure level the TT? Is it worth buying level indicators that mount on the front of the TT?

Also, what do you think about the leggo type leveling blocks? My neighbor loaned me some to try this weekend. Beats hauling wood unless their a waste of money. Thanks.

George Kelly
sailingsuppo46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #2

George,
Congrats on the new camper and welcome to the forum. Can't tell you about a way to measure the level but the plastic lego type blocks are very useful and much lighter than an equivalent size piece of wood.

tmmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:38 PM   #3
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Hey congrats on the new RV fellow Marylander.
We use the Orange Lynx Levelers and personally I like them. Like you said it beats carrying multiple sizes of wood blocks. If you decide to buy any more go to WalMart, they're cheaper there than any other place I've seen them. We had the levels on our old trailer and they were set up by the dealer inside the repair bay when we picked it up. As long as the bubbles were in the center we knew we were level.

Where are you heading to George?
We'll be heading to the KOA @ Twin Grove in Pine Grove PA. this coming Friday.

Have a great trip and enjoy that new RV!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #4

Leveling a trailer or fifth wheel.
milzat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 03:18 PM   #5
IT Guru

Send a message via AIM to jsilvius Send a message via Skype™ to jsilvius
I'll just say, don't trust your campers bumper... I personally open the door lay my 4 foot level across the floor to check side to side, and then turn it to check front to back after it is off the Truck. I love the Lynx Blocks. We use to carry wood everywhere with our pop-up. It is nice to have just a few bags of blocks. My only issue is when a site is really un-level, I needed more than the one bag.

2006 Flagstaff 831FKSS
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 SLT 5.9L Turbo Diesel Quad Cab
1 - DH (me); 1 - DW (Tee); 1 - DS (Jarod, 12)
Nights Camping: 2010 - 15; 2011 - 7; 2012 - 9
jsilvius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:33 AM   #6

Thanks Everyone. After reading your inputs, I am more convienced that I will be adding the plastic blocks to my inventory. They have to many uses not too, and I am the one that would forget the wood.

Charlie, We are heading the the KOA in Gettysburg for the weekend. Close, but far enough to give the truck and trailer a good shake down.

As far as leveling, I am going with the level in the TT for the time being.

Thanks again.
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
Old 07-12-2010, 10:51 AM   #7

I use the refrigerator door as a level point. The reason I use it is because it is critical for the refrigerator to operate correctly using gas. The amonia system that has a closed chanber needs to have the vapors/liquid flow correcly in the system.

My 2 cents.
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 10:57 AM   #8

Good point. Cold beer us a priority. Thanks.
Nights Camped 2010 = 18
Nights Camped 2011 = 15
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #9
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingsuppo46 View Post
Thanks Everyone. After reading your inputs, I am more convienced that I will be adding the plastic blocks to my inventory. They have to many uses not too, and I am the one that would forget the wood.

Charlie, We are heading the the KOA in Gettysburg for the weekend. Close, but far enough to give the truck and trailer a good shake down.

As far as leveling, I am going with the level in the TT for the time being.

Thanks again.
It's been a while since we've been to Gettysburg, unbelievable since it's only an hour away. I guess you'll be heading straight up 15 North. Have a safe and enjoyable trip!!

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 11:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I use the refrigerator door as a level point. The reason I use it is because it is critical for the refrigerator to operate correctly using gas. The amonia system that has a closed chanber needs to have the vapors/liquid flow correcly in the system.

My 2 cents.
X2...If the refrigerator is level, then the camper will be as close to level as required. I usually put the level on the bottom inside surface of the refrigerator. Use either a short torpedo level out of your toolbox to measure side-to-side and front-to-back, or use a small inexpensive bubble level with the circle on top; adjust until the bubble is inside the circle and there's no need to measure both directions separately.

'07 Rockwood 8281SS 5th Wheel
'07 Silverado 2500HD LMM Duramax Diesel / Allison 1000 CC 2LT S/B
Reese 15K 5th Wheel Hitch w/ Kwik-Slide
E.S.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 04:37 PM   #11

You will love your 2604 DW & I picked up ours in mid-April. It now resides on a seasonal site in NW Illinois.
Have had zero problems- everything works as advertised.
Old 07-13-2010, 08:29 PM   #12

from one Marylander to another, glad you found us. Congrats on your new camper. I have one of those large levels on the front of my camper and it works pretty good, but reaction is a little slow so I have to give it a little time to settle. With out getting out of the truck I can tell which side needs a lift, so I rate it on a scale of 1-10.....a"9".
As far as the plastic blacks, in my book they are so,so the good things is that they are light in weight, I do use them but I place wood under them so that they do not work there way into the ground, they are not solid on the bottom and I also found that the higher they are the more flex there is and become loose between the foot of the jack and the top plastic block. Give it a try they just might work for you..... others seem to have good luck with them.
rockwood06 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood