Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #1

First outing with 2012 3001W

Two weeks, 3800 miles, Colorado to Ohio for pick up, overnight in Indian Lake SP, overnight down in Athens Alabama, four days backyard camping at Mom's place, four nights at Paul B Johnson SP, overnight at Bluebonnet Ridge RV in Terrell TX, overnight at Abilene Wonderland RV, then back to Colorado.

Equal-i-zer 12K worked well. I figured a 21" ball height and adjusted the hitch before leaving and low and behold, it worked right away. I did pick up the updated brackets at RVWholesalers. These have two bolts that hold on the bar slider. A bit of a redesign that was very well thought out.

Overall a good trip. Rear door striker plate was mounted 1/4 too low. I remounted and it's fine now. Don't put three 12 packs of soda in the overhead rear storage compartments. I've got to get the pin nailer out there and reattach some panels. A leak out of the shower, I think it was flowing down the mount for the valve controller. I need to take apart and reapply silicone in this area. No blowouts, but I checked the tires/hubs at every stop and I kept it around 60-65mph, unless having to pass.

I put the Oxygenics shower head on the first night. I put a shower flow control valve in on night 7 or 8 and it has a little black lever to shut off the flow completely while keeping the same settings on the valve. Scored this little unit in the mobile home supply section of a small local hardware store just south of Hattiesburg. I'm going to have to see if they are available thru Amazon or someplace. These two little mods should be done by every camper to save water, while still being able to rinse the soap out of your hair.

Couple of pics for now.

JR

Hanging with da big boys in Boise City OK

Paul B SP, MS
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #2

The drive out

The bed of the Tundra was packed, the 10lbs of crap in a 5lb bag.

Nice little city park in the middle of Kansas, McDs next door. Great lunch stop area. Look for the F-15 hard mounted.
Old 08-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #3

The pick up and camp

RVW

Indian Lake State Park only 12 full hookups, book early. All were taken in the middle of the week.

Old 08-15-2011, 05:37 PM   #4

SWEET! Thanks for the update!
Koodog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 05:44 PM   #5

Forgot to ask....how do you like the 3001? I tried getting a deal on 1 over in Evans early this year, but no cigar. Mainly I was concerned about being able to view TV from rockers in the back of the coach. Seemed like view may be obstucted. What ya think?
I did REALLY like the bathroom and bedroom. Large and in charge.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koodog View Post
Forgot to ask....how do you like the 3001? I tried getting a deal on 1 over in Evans early this year, but no cigar. Mainly I was concerned about being able to view TV from rockers in the back of the coach. Seemed like view may be obstucted. What ya think?
I did REALLY like the bathroom and bedroom. Large and in charge.
It comes with the 32" TV, so viewing from either the couch or chairs is fine. We had a "movie night" with 4 adults and the only thing I noticed was, if you are sitting behind the person the couch, their head can get in the way, depending on how they move. I like the chairs better, but we were good hosts and let the guests use them.

Funny you mention Evans. They have their 2011 3001W on "clearance" for $26,9K now, basically what I was offering locally before. I don't know when local dealers are ever gonna get a clue. They are stuck trying to make the big trophy kill on every sale.

And I don't know if you noticed, the 3065s are having some structure issues. Seems a lot are cracking on the door side slide out. FR has redesigned the slide and moved the axles back to try to fix this problem (a shipment back to the factory). We were down to the 3001 and the 3065, but the bigger bathroom and counter space were our deciding factors.

JR
Old 08-16-2011, 12:13 PM   #7

Backyard camping.

Paul B Johnson view from site 12, playground and swimming area.

Bluebonnet Ridge in Terrell TX. One of the nicest stops we had. Hot, dry, but an very well kept campground. The owners care for their property shows. This was our second year stopping there. Fresh, homemade cookies when you check in is always a bonus.

Old 08-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #8

Other pics

Hitch setup for 3001W and 2008 Tundra. I'm going to add another hitch head tilt washer and drop the bracket down one to get the bars a bit more level.

Rear view camera easy setup. Cheap Walmart bathroom suction cups on rear glass and an old Autozone tag bracket to hang it from.

RF transmitter hung on shelf knob as high as I could get it. View was sometimes fuzzy, but it was there. I spliced a 12V plug on and an outlet was right by the rear door. Score an easy one there. Peak brand receiver/monitor was on dash or hanging off the mirror. Still working on that one.

And lastly, Shelby helping with check out of the new camper. He likes the couch also.
Old 08-16-2011, 12:44 PM   #9

looks great!...we love ours and i agree on the TV, not a problem watching it and love the size of the bedroom/bath area...

Congrats on your new trailer!

Mark and Connie
2008 3001W Windjammer
2005 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L
Equal-i-zer WD
mkollath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Wanna Be Camper

We love our 30WRLS Flagstaff twin as well. The bathroom was one of our deciding factors as well. Our first update was to get rid of the rockers and put in leather recliners with Ottomans and take out the bar stools as they kept getting in the way.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:01 PM   #11

just got our 2012 3001w went 1471 miles from dallas to goshen & picked it up, met our daughter in ny city for shopping trip, but cut short due to hurricaiine so left & went to gettysburg until it passed then back to liberty harbor they caught a flight out of newark we left for washington dc & slowly back to dallas following in the cool air . my question is when you park on a level surface & put the stabilizer jacks down, the trailer is level from side to side & front to back. when you extend your slideouts the trailer tips to the side 1 & 1/2 inch to the slide side , so the trailer is unlevel & you sleep with your head lower than your feet. if you set your wheels on a block to compensate the slideout on the bedroom still dropps 1&1/2 inch any ideas??
nordyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 11:54 PM   #12

Mine does the same thing. I learned to set it half a bubble high on that side and it levels out when you extend the slides.

JR
Old 09-06-2011, 07:14 AM   #13
Wanna Be Camper

I leave ours slightly slide side low to keep any rain away from the slide seals.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:18 AM   #14

Joe,
Thanks for the reply about the TV. Yep...I also noticed the price drop at GORV in Evans. Looks like they lost 2 customers on that unit. As far as I know its still on the lot and its a 2011 model.
Just got back from 2 weeks in the boonies with my 8317 SS. Everything worked well. I managed to mess up my rig a bit on a big rock I didn't see. Trashed the stairs and a bit of the under carriage panel. Guess I know what I'll be doing this winter. Oh well, gives me a reason to drop the underside paneling and take a look around.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:29 AM   #15

so you just block up the whwwls on that side & take a readong on the level? & where do you mount the level
nordyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 PM   #16

What kind of miles per gallon did you get with the tundra? We have the 2011 & tow with 2011 Dodge 1/2 ton with 5.7 & get 8mpg
Elmer Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 AM   #17
Grumpy Old Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmer Swan View Post
What kind of miles per gallon did you get with the tundra? We have the 2011 & tow with 2011 Dodge 1/2 ton with 5.7 & get 8mpg
Just for an interesting comparison, I tow with a 2010 Dodge RAM 1500 5.7 also and with the Tow/Haul mode selected I've never averaged less than 10 mpg for a long trip. Last night I moved my TT about 50 miles from my seasonal spot to the dealer for a little warranty work before a trip next week. Averaged 10.7 mpg from campground to dealer lot. Mostly highway travel, averaging about 60.

And btw, I too block the slide side a little high to offset the lean that the suspension apparently allows when parked with the slides out.

Just some thoughts to share...

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #18

ditto on rasing the opposite side a bit to accomdate the slide outs...thats we do..on the mileage, we get average 10.5 - 11.0 at 62 MPH, rpms at 1700 in tow mode...not climbing mountains with the TV but does well on flat...new TV is next

Mark and Connie
2008 3001W Windjammer
2005 Tahoe Z71, 5.3L
Equal-i-zer WD
mkollath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 09:54 PM   #19

My Ram may get better when I get more miles on it. I only have 5000 miles on the speedo now plus I have a 3,21 rear end as I didn't have TT at time I bought the truck I'm useing Equal-i-zer WD as well I didn't think about raiseing the slide side have you noticed a diff. All so I've been towing at freeway speed Limit of 70 to 75
Elmer Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 09:53 AM   #20
Grumpy Old Member

70 to 75mph on tires that are just rated to 65? Hmm, I tow around 60, better for milage and safer if one of those cheap Chinese tires decides to fail.

2012 Windjammer 2008w
2020 RAM 1500
ChrisZazzara is offline   Reply With Quote