Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2013, 11:46 AM   #1

First real test

Memorial Day weekend starts a nine night trip heading from KC to Colorado. Third season with the Windjammer and second season towing with an Ecoboost. While we have been through some elevation changes none of it compares to what we are getting ready to experience. Couple days around Colorado Springs then up to Divide, CO and finally to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Other than final loading we are ready to get away. Brakes adjusted, bearings lubed, lug nuts checked. Little nervous about driving out there with a trailer but we are in no hurry so if you see a snail pulling a long grade, pass with care and be safe!

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:51 AM   #2
2604WS

We were coming back from Aspen one year and met a guy going back to Denver from points east. Asked him how he handled the mountains pulling a trailer. His answer was to put it in low and go slow. Haven't got the guts to try it yet but the better half brings it up more and more.
Have a good trip and let us know how it goes.
Kirk
kirkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:55 AM   #3

I'm with you all, would like to upgrade to a bigger truck before heading west, which we want to do in the future.
2013 campouts:1
recon33alpha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old car View Post
Memorial Day weekend starts a nine night trip heading from KC to Colorado. Third season with the Windjammer and second season towing with an Ecoboost. While we have been through some elevation changes none of it compares to what we are getting ready to experience. Couple days around Colorado Springs then up to Divide, CO and finally to Rocky Mountain National Park.

Other than final loading we are ready to get away. Brakes adjusted, bearings lubed, lug nuts checked. Little nervous about driving out there with a trailer but we are in no hurry so if you see a snail pulling a long grade, pass with care and be safe!

Old Car,
I have an Ecoboost with a 2013 3001. We went through the Black Hills last summer and then came down through Colorado. We drove up through Eisenhouer tunnel on I-70, over the Breckenridge, down to southern Colorado and then over to Colorado Springs. Never had any problems. On the Interstates I had it on curise control much of the time and it occasionally downshifted to 4th but never any further. On some grades when it downshifted to 4th it actually accerated back up to my cruise speed of 60. I was quite impressed. The Ecoboost really has some pull.

Okey & Jeri
2011 Ford F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x2 Ecoboost 3.55 gears
2013 Rockwood Windjammer 3001W
Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 hitch
ojnark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 08:43 PM   #5

Just got back from the mountains of Colorado and the Ecoboost was very impressive. My trailer is 7000 pounds empty so with a controlled load of gear and 4 adults, we had a load to haul. We pulled the Windjammer over 10,000 feet and camped at 9700 feet. The truck never missed a beat, kept a solid speed with the cruise control, using the manual portion of the transmission on down slopes kept the truck under control with little use of the brakes.

I was very concerned about this trip and how things would go. After all the miles in the mountains and the performance we got out of the Ecoboost; I know I made the right choice.

Randy and Patty
2015 Sabre 33 CKTS-6 Platinum Edition
Reese 16K Slider hitch
2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD diesel dually
Old car is offline   Reply With Quote