Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 04:16 AM   #1

First run. Rain and roof leaks.

Once again, feasting on your knowledge. An upfront thankyou.

I'm a new owner of a 2013 Rockwood Signature (here in Australia). We took it out on its first adventure last week and ran into some heavy rain. I've discovered that we have two leaks.
Firstly, around the skylight above the shower recess.
Secondly, the openable vent above the bed - damn inconvenient, we slept with a bucket between us.

The skylight appears to have been damaged by birdstrike/treestrike. The perspex dome has a crack in it. My course of action could be to replace the dome or to try some flexible sealant to patch it. Two questions - can the perspex dome be bought as a spare part in the USA ? The seal between the perspex and caravan skin seems to have been done with a liquid sealant that has been poured on, and then it has set. Can you get it up/off without badly damaging the caravan skin ?

The vent above the bed can be opened. It has onboard electrics that allow it to either suck or blow. The perplex dome is not damaged. The water is entering via seal failure/deterioration. The question is as above - can I pry the existing sealant off and reseal or do I attempt to patch up what is existing.

Do you ever get to a point where you can blast off for a week and come back without a "to do" list ?
in2it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 04:30 AM   #2

Hi,
A cracked skylight is an easy fix. You need to measure what you have and order the correct replacement.
Order from here or google search.

RV Skylight Domes | Replacement Lexan Domes | ICON Technologies Limited

The liquid sealant is called Dicor self leveling.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LZXOC77...a-312968709515

The old can be scrapped off carefully. Remove old screws. Run a new bead and push the new dome onto it. Install screws through flange into roof. Then cover the flange to overlap onto the roof membrane to seal.
The Dicor can be used to fix the vent leak too.

I suggest you buy some eternabond tape and use it to cover all your roof seams and penetrations. Like your new skylight flange and vents.

https://www.amazon.com/EternaBond-RS...rds=eternabond

Edit: You will find that all the screws on the roof and inside the trailer uses a #2 Robertson square drive. You can purchase here.

https://www.amazon.com/SQUARE-ROBINS.../dp/B000U0A4NI
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, roo, roof