Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2015, 07:00 PM   #1

First warranty issue

Been 9 nights and loved our new rock wood. Noticed the front jack folded up Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByForest River Forums1423958421.944566.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	69657

Guess a call into service dept and see how good warranty is
firedaniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:26 PM   #2

Looks like you were using the jack to raise the trailer and not just stabilize it. This style jack cannot be used to raise the trailer.
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:35 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedaniel View Post
Been 9 nights and loved our new rock wood. Noticed the front jack folded up Attachment 69657

Guess a call into service dept and see how good warranty is
I think that is just a stabilizer not a leveling jack. If that is true I wouldn't mention trying to lift the trailer. They might get touchy about that.....Kinda of hard to see in the pictures, but I have wrong before......

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #4

I noticed when I bought t the sides on that jack were bent in slightly. Didn't think much about it till now. Just setup like normal. Noticed the camper wobbly went out and looked and it was bent. Hopefully they don't give me any problems since its a month old
Old 02-14-2015, 08:11 PM   #5

Same thing happened on ours a month after we got it. Except, ours popped in the middle of the night. Sounded like a gun went off. It took me a few minutes to figure out what had happened. At the time I just did not know how much downward pressure to allow the motors to put on them. That Jack was replaced under warranty. Now I just run them down until the motor just starts slowing down and then I stop. The owners manual that you should have received has a decent write up on the procedure of running the stab jacks down and when to release the button. The jacks were just not designed for the pressure that the motor can put on them if you just hold the button down.

For the record, the stab jacks will not eliminate all of the floor shake either. Scissor jacks that fit between the tires will also not eliminate all of it.

There are some on this forum that have added additional stab jacks close to the axles to help with floor shake.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Klbrown53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 08:33 PM   #6

Quote:
I noticed when I bought t the sides on that jack were bent in slightly. Didn't think much about it till now. Just setup like normal. Noticed the camper wobbly went out and looked and it was bent. Hopefully they don't give me any problems since its a month old
I don't think they will, just tell them you put them down to stab. and moving around on the inside it collapsed on you. Which it really did anyway. Once you here that motor change stop. That's enough pressure. I don't know if you know or heard of OC he is a member he re enforced mine by welding a channel over the top. I bet it could pick mine up now if I wanted it to. They are really pretty flimsy as you have just found out. FR also knows that so don't lose any sleep over it...

Old 02-14-2015, 09:09 PM   #7

Would love to see some pics of how he reinforced that. I've thought about putting the scissor jacks on it like my old trailer and be done with it lol.
Old 02-15-2015, 06:57 AM   #8

Here's the answer....

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...end-40252.html
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Would love to see some pics of how he reinforced that. I've thought about putting the scissor jacks on it like my old trailer and be done with it lol.
I just so have a picture on how he did it, If the motor could handle it, it probably would pick the unit up. He's a smart Old Man his mind is always thinking of improvements. If you need some awning tie down poles I think he has 10 sets for sale. Once you have them you wouldn't be without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Awning bracket and the locking hook 004.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	434.4 KB
ID:	69668  

Old 02-15-2015, 07:41 AM   #10

Here is one in the same boat! Youroo!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4404.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	369.5 KB
ID:	69669  
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:38 PM   #11

Well dealer replied back and said forest river denied the warranty and it was users fault. Hmmmm not a good way to start a 5 yr warranty program on a 1 month old camper. I sent a email to the service dept and my sales rep we will see where it goes I guess.

I could get my welder out and fix it but I shouldn't have too on a 1 month old camper!
Old 02-20-2015, 07:57 PM   #12

I would chalk it up as a lesson learned. I hope your dealer didn't see that picture.. or someone from FR didn't see it posted here. It's pretty obvious you were leveling with it rather than just stabilizing.

Fonzie posted a good link. It's possible that it might be repairable, but it will be out of pocket, unfortunately. While you're at it.. and if you have a little change in the piggy bank... it might not be a bad idea to remove them all and take them in to have the sides reinforced.

Keep in the back of your mind that you really don't want to create any bad blood with your dealer. More than likely you'll need their services in the future.

Just sayin...
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #13

Quote:
Well dealer replied back and said forest river denied the warranty and it was users fault. Hmmmm not a good way to start a 5 yr warranty program on a 1 month old camper. I sent a email to the service dept and my sales rep we will see where it goes I guess.

I could get my welder out and fix it but I shouldn't have too on a 1 month old camper!
I would get your welder out and bend some metal and reinforce them the way post #9 shows you. OC did mine and he is probably the best on things like this. He has a CAD program from his engineering days and runs things through that. Like I said my weakest link now is my motor, that stabilizer will not collapse..... Chaulk it up as lesson learned and move on. We all make mistakes.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #14

Ok ok yall are Probably right... Lol. I can fix it quicker than I could drive 1.5 hours back to the dealer. It will make it stronger anyways. Thanks for the help I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 02-21-2015, 10:26 AM   #15

Quote:

Also don't be confused about the Warranty (F/R has No 5 year program) your F/R Warranty is only 1 year! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:33 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Also don't be confused about the Warranty (F/R has No 5 year program) your F/R Warranty is only 1 year! Youroo!!
I was just about to say that.... unless the OP meant he got an extended third party plan.

Did you do the optional 2nd year for future issues that arise?

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 11:21 PM   #17

I went to the dallas show today and the rep from Rockwood was there. He gave me a couple of numbers said to call him about the lippert jacks and the irv radio and they would get it taken care of. He said 1 month would be no problem for both... I'll call Monday and see. Couldn't hurt I guess.

Also no they never offered a 2nd yr warranty from FR. Just the 5 yr extended
Old 02-22-2015, 11:51 AM   #18

Quote:
I went to the dallas show today and the rep from Rockwood was there. He gave me a couple of numbers said to call him about the lippert jacks and the irv radio and they would get it taken care of. He said 1 month would be no problem for both... I'll call Monday and see. Couldn't hurt I guess.

That's too bad that the dealer didn't offer the FR one, it seems like a lot of dealers are not telling customers about the 2nd year for 150. Hopefully you got a good deal on your extended plan. Let us know if they do anything more to fix the jacks.

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 02:57 PM   #19

Quote:

It is not to late to secure the $150.00, second year extended warranty through Forest River. Telephone their office and you will be connected to Rhonda. She is excellent at managing the second year warranty program. Pay by credit card.
l001952119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #20

Great I'll call her tomorrow!

Tags
warranty