Old 03-06-2020, 05:34 PM   #1

Flagstaff 22FBS - Colorado works on paper

We currently have an E-pro 19QB and we love it. However, we're just back from a 6-week, 5,000-mile trip from Montreal to New Orleans and back, and we found it a little tight. As we're considering a 5-month trip starting this summer, we want to consider other options.

Main issues were the West-East bed (OK for a long weekend or a 2-week trip, somewhat tiring after 6 weeks), the 4.2 cu ft. fridge and the relative lack of storage (pantry and closets).

We're contemplating a Flagstaff Micro Lite 22FBS which would resolve all those issues, but our towing vehicle (a 2019 Colorado V6 with towing package) may not be up to the challenge in real life (numbers seem to work on paper, but just).

Is anyone using a Colorado or Tacoma with the 22FBS or the Rockwood 205s? How does it work?

Claude

Old 03-06-2020, 05:51 PM   #2

I think the stability will be your biggest problem.

Sorry no colorado. I pulled a 29'11" 7000lb loaded trailer with an F150 and it was a stretch. Doable but lots of work and things I had to leave behind because I was over weight. That is same length and 100lbs heavier as what you are looking at. You may not have the weight problem because of a lighter tongue (mine is 1000lbs loaded) but you will likely see stability issues because at the dry weight it should have a 520lb tongue and it shows 380lbs. Actual tongue weight will likely be 750-850. Figure that in your payload calculator.

If you go into it eyes open knowing you may have to swap trucks give it a shot to see. The tongue weight is pretty light on that model but the short wheel base and light truck will push you around. Just dont make the first trip a long one with the old or new TV.

Best of luck.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
I think the stability will be your biggest problem.

Sorry no colorado. I pulled a 29'11" 7000lb loaded trailer with an F150 and it was a stretch. Doable but lots of work and things I had to leave behind because I was over weight. That is same length and 100lbs heavier as what you are looking at. You may not have the weight problem because of a lighter tongue (mine is 1000lbs loaded) but you will likely see stability issues because at the dry weight it should have a 520lb tongue and it shows 380lbs. Actual tongue weight will likely be 750-850. Figure that in your payload calculator.

If you go into it eyes open knowing you may have to swap trucks give it a shot to see. The tongue weight is pretty light on that model but the short wheel base and light truck will push you around. Just dont make the first trip a long one with the old or new TV.

Best of luck.
Thanks for your response.

From a factual standpoint, the length of the 22FBS is 23'10", which is substantially less than your 29'11". As for the tongue weight, you're right there - my math comes up to 750 lbs, VS the Colorado's max of 770 with a WDH.

With regards to GCVWR my calculations show 11,936 lbs VS a 12,000 rating. As I said, close but within the limit. In real life, however, I cannot foresee a situation where I would be carrying 1,686 lbs of cargo. We're used to being very conservative with the E-Pro.

That said, you're raising a very good point - stability. Frankly I hadn't thought of that and it may be where the going gets tough...

Claude
Old 03-06-2020, 11:54 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaudeP View Post
Thanks for your response.

From a factual standpoint, the length of the 22FBS is 23'10", which is substantially less than your 29'11". As for the tongue weight, you're right there - my math comes up to 750 lbs, VS the Colorado's max of 770 with a WDH.

With regards to GCVWR my calculations show 11,936 lbs VS a 12,000 rating. As I said, close but within the limit. In real life, however, I cannot foresee a situation where I would be carrying 1,686 lbs of cargo. We're used to being very conservative with the E-Pro.

That said, you're raising a very good point - stability. Frankly I hadn't thought of that and it may be where the going gets tough...

Claude
I just googled the model and all I found was a 2019. For a 2019 it was posted as a Length 29.58 ft. (355 in.) But they are not always right either. I believe your posted length but was just going by what I found. The weights I was looking at were also for a 2019 for refrence.

I would be more worried about payload than towing capacity. You will hit issues there well before tow capacity typically on most TVs. When I looked at Colorado's they were pretty capable though. Many were 1500lb payload which is better than many half tons. I dont recall the axle max weights for them. You can find the sticker inside your driver door for your specific truck payload. It will be yellow and white usually. 23' vs 29' is a pretty big difference and will help immensely in the stability area.

Add up your calculated tongue weight hitch and yourself dw and gear directly in the truck and get an idea if you can pull it off. If you are close you can give it a try and upgrade if you need to. If way over then you are going to want to upgrade.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 AM   #5

2205s

We just brought home the Rockwood version, the 2205s.
Can't speak to the Colorado, but we pull it with a '16 F150, supercab, 6.5' bed, 2wd, 2.7 Ecoboost and 3.31 rear end.
We use an Equalizer 10k wdh, and I put Airlift 2k capacity airbags on and run about 38lbs in the bags.
That set up pulls the 2205s like it is not there. Big trucks passing and crosswinds are hardly noticeable, plenty of power.
Hope that helps, I dont know much about the Chev Colorado compared to the F150 though...
The floorplan and useable space of the 22fbs, or the 2205s I know you will appreciate though. Nice open concept, with slide out you have a nearly 360 degree view for looking outside through the windows if all shades are up...
Good luck with your situation!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 09:10 AM   #6

dbledan,

The Colorado has an official payload of 1,557 lbs but mine has 1,383 on the passenger door sticker.

If I add up the weight of passengers (my wife, me and Merlot, our Golden Retriever), the 22FBS hitch weight, propane, batteries, plus 150 lbs of cargo in the box and in the TT pass trough, I get a total 1,240 lbs which leaves me with a comfortable margin of +/- 140 lbs.

6CatDaddy,

The Colorado is very capable, but is far from your 2016 F150 2.7 Ecoboost. It has a towing capacity of 7,000 lbs VS your 8,500 but more importantly a payload of 1,557 (official rating) VS your 2,080. Still, since you say you have plenty of power reserve, I may be just fine.

If I may, what are the Pros and cons of the 2205? I'd like to hear them from a real user.

Claude
Old 03-07-2020, 12:00 PM   #7

Hi claude.

We have not "camped" with it yet, but we keep our trailers at home so we have plenty of time to use 'em and go all over 'em...

Since our last one was the 2109s, all I can see with the 2205s are pros.

Overall size of unit keeps it in the will fit in almost all campsites, but the interior space with slide out is enormous. Extra pantry next to the slide is a huge bonus.
Interior lighting is almost too much light... possible con would be Rockwood should have used a dimmer at the master control panel to be able to dim leds down, but there are dimmer switches out there to do yourself.

Bed is a full size queen, mattress is typical rv torture mattress, but we always go with pillow top memory foam ones from "Mattress Insiders" off the web so the bed is great. We had the extra Maxxair fan over the bed for comfort.

Ordered with a slide topper, I like having that.

Front pass through storage is lighted and HUGE!

Dexter axles ride like air ride.

The rear has the 2" receiver for a rack to be used.

Clear glass with shade in entry door is nice, screen door has a door closer built in.

Solid 3 step entry Morryde steps are spring loaded and lift up easy.

We went with the 15k a/c, also the ducted ceiling outlets will be excellent for air movment in the heat.

Electric fireplace looks nice, as well as the heat output it has kept it nice and warm inside with outside being a cold rainy 35 to 38 degrees.

Porcelin Dometic toilet, con with that is it has the plastic seat not the slow close wood style, so I will change that to the slow closer.

There are good vids on Youtube showing the 2205s, if you like what you see, I can attest in person it IS as nice and big inside as it looks.

Long post but hope that helps ya!!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:36 PM   #8

Hi Claude,
We do not have your TT, but tow an R-pod 195 with our 3.5L Tacoma 4x4. The bad is it struggles in a strong head wind. Without the strong head wind, it does just fine over E. OR mountain passes and across the various terrain out here. It is not a V-8, but we have no issues of concern. We use a WDH and extended mirrors; pull over when vehicle(s) are behind us on the steeper up hill pulls and pass others on the straight stretches. We prefer two lanes because freeway speeds are 70 - 80 mph and the Taco like to run about 65 mph. Hopes this helps a little.
Dirt Sifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 12:40 PM   #9

Dont forget to add the WDH weight as well but you have the margin for that. Seems to work on paper if you can keep hitch weight down below the Colorados max reciever load with the wdh.

I would give it a shot on a short 1 hour trip to see how things feel before taking it real far. Stability may be fine based on your length and a good wdh with sway control.

Good luck and happy camping!
Old 03-07-2020, 12:59 PM   #10
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
[...] The Colorado has an official payload of 1,557 lbs but mine has 1,383 on the passenger door sticker. [...]
Not quite. The Colorado has a fictional maximum payload of 1,557 lbs, but yours has an official payload capacity of 1,383 lbs. Keep in mind that the payload is just a proxy for GVWR.

Quote:
[...] If I add up the weight of passengers (my wife, me and Merlot, our Golden Retriever), the 22FBS hitch weight, propane, batteries, plus 150 lbs of cargo in the box and in the TT pass trough, I get a total 1,240 lbs which leaves me with a comfortable margin of +/- 140 lbs. [...]
That seems reasonable. I would expect ~600 lbs in/on the truck from people, gear, WDH, wood in the bed, tools, and other stuff. I would expect that the trailer will weigh in the 6,000 - 6,500 lb range when rolling down the road. Taking a mid-point and using 13% of that weight on the hitch ... about 800 lbs on the hitch from that trailer.

So, my math lands around 1,400 lbs. You would prefer a truck that has 1,400 lbs or more payload. But, as long as you’re not careless with your packing ... you’re not stopping to pick up hitch-hikers or other weight ... this fits your 1,383 lb payload just fine.

Quote:
[...] but more importantly a payload of 1,557 (official rating) VS your 2,080.[...]
You are 100% correct that the payload (GVWR) is much more important that the tow capacity. Forget the tow capacity. But, you need to also forget that 1,557 number. Despite what you keep saying, this is most certainly NOT the official payload. That number is a maximum number that the model could attain under a perfect balance of options and trims. The official payload is what’s printed on the door jamb sticker of your specific truck. That’s the only number that matters.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 03:16 PM   #11

Smile

Would you be able to find a rental tt to try with your Colorado? A weekend rental cost could save you a lot before you buy.
Old 03-07-2020, 04:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncebeemer View Post
Would you be able to find a rental tt to try with your Colorado? A weekend rental cost could save you a lot before you buy.
That's exactly what my dw was suggesting thir morning. Definitely worth a try.

Claude
Old 03-07-2020, 04:14 PM   #13

67L48,

That's what I meant by "official" VS the one showing on my sticker. I should probably have said "published" instead - blame it on second language limitation . I do realize that the number that counts is the one I see on my vehicle, not in the Colorado brochure.

Thank you for checking my math - as I said I get really close but within limits and it is reassuring that the numbers I got seem to make sense.

We're waiting for a price from our dealer (they are busy with the Montreal RV show going on this weekend) but it will have to be a good one. Right side of the brain and economics tell us to keep our 19QB for at least another year.

Thank you everybody for your input, you're helping us with our thought process.

Claude
Old 03-07-2020, 06:05 PM   #14

We towed our 21DS with a 5.3L short bed 2012 GMC Canyon for a year. We had no problems. The “math” was similar. We’ve since traded up to a 2016 GMC Sierra with the same engine and actually increased both our stability and gas mileage.
Days camped: 2018 - 48, 2019 - 41
Chief Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2020, 08:23 PM   #15
Tundra 2014

Payload

The payload # on the door jam is for Your specific truck w/ options. That # is what you have. There are many posts on the site what payload is composed of. You must in crude weight of WDH, anything you add to bare trailer, battery, full propane tanks, truck tool box, wife, dog, and ice chest ect. The trailer stated weight sticker unloaded weight is for base model and is usually low. My 27.5 Flagstaff was 600 lb. heavier than sticker, before we put any food or personal items in trailer. The payload #'s and the length of the trailer would be my concerns. You are wise to look at numbers before purchasing. Many of us wind up buying a larger truck after purchase.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 07:12 AM   #16

I did read many posts on this Forum about crude weight, Gross Weight Vehicle Rating, Payload, etc. I also watched the KYD video on the subject that summarizes it quite effectively I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundra 2014 View Post
The trailer stated weight sticker unloaded weight is for base model and is usually low. My 27.5 Flagstaff was 600 lb. heavier than sticker, before we put any food or personal items in trailer.
That's a complication I didn't provide for. At this point if the TT is just 65 pounds heavier than the sticker, I'm right at the Gross Vehicle Combined Weight rating.

Claude
Old 03-08-2020, 11:24 AM   #17

We just purchased a Microlite 22FBS and love the floor plan. haven't towed it anywhere yet, but looking forward to our trip in late April/early May. We tow ours with a 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 diesel, but I think it's a little overkill. You should be just fine with a 1500, but I believe your current TV will be a little undersized. I would rather have to much TV when it comes to safety on the road.

Retired Law Enforcement
TT 2020 Flagstaff 22FBS
TV 2007 Dodge RAM 2500 (aka Big Red)
woolfski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2020, 02:01 PM   #18

That seems to be the consensus and it's our conclusion as well. We have plenty of power for the 19QB and we like that. We'll probably keep it for another season. Have great camping season with your new rig.

Claude

Tags
flagstaff