Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2010, 02:02 AM   #1

Flood Damage

Hi Folks,
We own a 2006 Rochwood Ultralite 8315. It was involved in a flood. Water MAY have seeped into the enclosed belly of the camper. Our insurance agent says that it an automatic total loss even though the interior of the camper is perfect.
One option is to buy back the camper after the settlement with the insurance for VERY little money. Does anyone have experience with flood damage? I would appreciate any advice or insight! Thanks in advance, Bill
MrBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 09:06 AM   #2

If you can check out all the functions of the camper before you buy it back that would be a big plus in making a choice.
ArkyGeorgetown330TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM   #3

What with the water issues others have had here with their trailers caused only by a small leak somewhere I would have to say move on. The construction materials in the rig can wick water badly and lead to problems that may not be appearant yet. Mold can also become an issue. There are many reason why your insurance company has this policy and I'm sure these are just two of them.

I would just play it safe, take the money and run.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 11:44 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If it is certain that water did not reach the main part of the camper, then it might not be a bad deal to buy it back. To me, a lot would depend on what type of flooding.....fresh water, salt water, or sewage laden water.

Most of the stuff under the camper gets wet some anyway.

Again, making certain that the water did not reach the underside of the floor, I would:

Pull the underbelly enclosure and let it dry for a couple of days.
Sanatize the fresh water tank and low point drains.
Clean and repack wheel bearings.
Inspect the brakes.
Replace the furnace duct-work.

The wires and propane lines should be OK. If the camper has a circuit breaker from the battery, that should be replaced.

Can't think of what else might be under there.

It would also depend on how the insurance company does the title, and what the price of the buy back would be. A lot of stuff to consider.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:45 PM   #5

It seems to me that you would have little risk buying it back. As long as the wheels/hubs/bearings are in good shape, and the frame has not been compromised. I assume you will have a salvage title so I doubt you could sell it for a profit.
grandpaofthree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 10:10 PM   #6

Get under there with a cordless drill and pull all the under belly material and inspect it. If your not sure what your looking have an RV tech come look at it and tell you if it can easily be fixed or is a total loss.

Keep in mind it will have a salvage title as well.
DCRC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood