Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #1

Floor is buckled in rear

Well when I thought all wa going well I have found what I consider a major problem with my 8285WS 5th.
Seems that the rear floor is not attached anymore to the frame. This is where the picture window and the two chairs are.

When I walk in it it pushes back down but when I move forward it buckles up again. I go remember someone talking about their floor not being attached or glued down. I guess it's time to conatct my dealer and take it down for them to evaluate for repair.

Has anyone else had a similiar problem? How would you fix this?
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 07:34 PM   #2

Good luck Iggy, and I thought I had problems .... i hope they fix it quickly and effectively.
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 PM   #3

Bummer, sound like a bad thing to find.
BigDTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:24 AM   #4
Villa Estate 392FLFB

hope they give you an open and closed case!
Old 09-27-2010, 06:37 PM   #5

What is going on with the floor?
Sagebrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagebrush View Post
What is going on with the floor?
Not sure yet. I will drop the trailer off this week for an earlier issue and we will have them check it out and contact Forest River.

I was going to open the bottom up and take a look but decided not and let them figure it out. Just seeems the rear wood floor under the swivel chairs has a bump in the floor. When you step onit it goes down and step off and it comes up again.
We will wait and see.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #7

Man, That's tough Iggy...hope they can correct and in a hurry...we just got back from a 7 day trip in the Tennessee mountains with our new( to us it's new) 06 8285ss. So far things are working great..hope they'll continue! Maybe the previous owner got all the bugs out!
Good luck on getting yours taken care of soon!
kscr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 07:18 PM   #8

I wonder if your floor has been damaged by water that went between the undercarriage menbrane and rotted your floor under. The reason I am approching this issue is we just bought a new 2011 rockwood and after a bad rain I discovered that after the rain the trailer was dripping under the belly at the rear of the trailer. After several test I found out that the leakage was coming from the rear of the frame . The water from the rain was entering betweem the rear frame and the menbrane which was damaged when they installed the floor on the frame. When I cut part of the menbrane the floor under was already soaked wet and the water was trapped and could not get out. The solution was to install a bed of silicone on the frame where it meet the trailer box and gess what. The leak is gone. A problem like this can go unnoticed for quite a long period and when you find out it is too late the floor is all rotten. I went to my dealer to check other trailers on the lot and we found another one with the same issue at the rear under.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 08:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by capucine View Post
I wonder if your floor has been damaged by water that went between the undercarriage menbrane and rotted your floor under. The reason I am approching this issue is we just bought a new 2011 rockwood and after a bad rain I discovered that after the rain the trailer was dripping under the belly at the rear of the trailer. After several test I found out that the leakage was coming from the rear of the frame . The water from the rain was entering betweem the rear frame and the menbrane which was damaged when they installed the floor on the frame. When I cut part of the menbrane the floor under was already soaked wet and the water was trapped and could not get out. The solution was to install a bed of silicone on the frame where it meet the trailer box and gess what. The leak is gone. A problem like this can go unnoticed for quite a long period and when you find out it is too late the floor is all rotten. I went to my dealer to check other trailers on the lot and we found another one with the same issue at the rear under.
I'm sending a Private Message PM
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #10

capucine, do you mean just on top of the I-beam frame that sticks out and attaches to the bumper/sewer hose tube? Is that where the water was getting under the floor? Thanks.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocus View Post
capucine, do you mean just on top of the I-beam frame that sticks out and attaches to the bumper/sewer hose tube? Is that where the water was getting under the floor? Thanks.

I have contacted Forest River and have a schedule inspection date by the dealer on Nov 22. I have not removed anything under the trailer to see but it seems the center rear floor by the back window pushes down when stepped on. I have no idea if they have another layer of something between the carpet and the actual floor. Will keep you posted after the dealer checks.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:55 PM   #12

to crocus: Yes the water was getting . The black plastic menbrane is very easy to destroy and when it was connected to the floor the menbrane was probably teared. These menbrane are very thin just like the tarp you buy at your hardware store to cover something for 5$
Old 11-15-2010, 07:23 PM   #13

capucine, I caulked around the frame rails in the back inside edge and made a plastic cover for the outside edge. I was concerned about mice, never thought about water getting in.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:43 PM   #14

Here are some photos of how I closed the gap around the rear frame on our 8280WS Rockwood.

Plastic cover made to fill gap on the outside edge of the 8020WS frame

Another photo of plastic cover to fill gap on the rear frame rail of a 8280WS

Photo of caulking around inside edge of frame rail of the 8280WS
I hope this keeps the mice and water out from under the 5vr.
f150k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:48 PM   #15

Thanks for the pics f150k. Looks like a good fix. I'll have to check mine out tomorrow and see if I can't do the same.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:20 PM   #16

to crocus: Yes

Tags
rockwood