Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-31-2012, 07:53 PM   #1

FR Tire Question

Mini Lite 1901 on its way!

RVW called this afternoon to say our TT is scheduled to be on its way to us tomorrow.

I have a quick question, though.

When I declined the $1,500 extra warranty and told him we're going to go with the FR 2nd year warranty (thanks to this forum for everything I've learned so far!!!), he asked for the DH and had a go at him for the tire warranty. Is it true there is absolutely no warranty from FR on the tires/wheels?!

I understand the tires are junk and we'll most likely have to replace them before too long, but no warranty? At all? Really???
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #2

Not sure about a warranty on the tires, but our new 2012 ultra light came with "Loadstar" tires. I was skeptical about them so I started researching them. From what I read, they are a blowout waiting to happen. So I decided to put Kumho 857 Radials on along with the TST tpms system, just before our first long trip. I now have a rock solid set of tires in place, but more importantly, piece of mind that they won't give out and cause a dangerous accident.
mrclean1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #3
Now a "Top Member"

The tires will come with a warranty, but it's not from Forest River. It's from the tire manufacturer. Just make sure you get the paperwork from the dealer. I never did, but don't have to worry about it now. They're gone and I have Maxxis on there. Took a triple blow-out to get there though.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
Site Team - Lou

Tires ALL have warranties. Most are 2 years (or tread depth).

What the tire warranty does not cover is trailer damage from a blown tire.
However NEITHER DOES THAT BOGUS EXTENDED WARRANTY.

You will need to claim that against your car insurance (you did insure your camper on your car insurance right?) It is pretty cheap and make sure you get towing on your camper as well as the truck.

That way your car insurance will pay to have your camper towed to a local campground while your disabled truck is towed to the local dealer.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:12 AM   #5
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Tires ALL have warranties. Most are 2 years (or tread depth).

What the tire warranty does not cover is trailer damage from a blown tire.
However NEITHER DOES THAT BOGUS EXTENDED WARRANTY.

You will need to claim that against your car insurance (you did insure your camper on your car insurance right?) It is pretty cheap and make sure you get towing on your camper as well as the truck.

That way your car insurance will pay to have your camper towed to a local campground while your disabled truck is towed to the local dealer.
The way all the dealers hawk that PURE PROFIT extended warranty should be a crime.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJFerg View Post
When I declined the $1,500 extra warranty...he asked for the DH and had a go at him for the tire warranty.
Seriously?! That just sounds insulting to me. Is the DH more reasonable than you when it comes to these things?

If the tires are such junk then it sounds like you should insist they include tires that are safer in the sale
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:20 PM   #7

Thanks for your responses! I needed the sanity check. I suspect the guy is in the finance department & it's his job to scr...er...push people into buying policies that are profitable for the dealer but not so good for the customer. Unfortunately for him, DH & I both were born at night but neither of us was born _last night_ so that went nowhere quick.

Herk - we insured the TT with the same company as our TV. Not sure if that's the same as insuring on the car's policy. DH will verify that tomorrow when he calls to activate the policy and correct if necessary.

PunkAccountant - we went cheap; RVW was multiple thousands cheaper than the closest Rockwood dealer (@ 50-ish miles I can't call it local), so not much room for negotiations.

MrClean & EdJr - researching Kumho & Maxxis brands now. Thanks for the tip on decent brands.

Now for the good news. Delivery driver called today and he'll be here tomorrow instead of Friday. #excited!
JJFerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:13 PM   #8

First miles on my new Kumho's will be on Friday. Got rid on the factory Carlisle's. About a 220 mile run to the CG we will be staying at.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote