Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2021, 08:14 AM   #1

Fresh Water Tank

Hello Everyone,
We are very new to this lifestyle, but jumped in and purchased a new Rockwood 2516s. We want to disinfect the fresh water tank since we are taking our first trip soon. We're having a hard time figuring out 1. Where to fill it (is it the same connection as the city water?) 2. Where the release lever is for the fresh water tank so we can empty it after disinfecting. We've found both grey water levers and black, but not the fresh. We'd appreciate any guidance here.
Thank you.
Michael and Gloria
Glo80863 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 08:31 AM   #2
WFD

idea is to sanitize your fresh water holding tank and the water lines and fixtures in the trailer. Connecting to city water connection will not allow this to happen. You need to fill your fresh water tank with sanitzing solution. Solution is 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gal of capacity of your fresh water tank. It's a very mild solution, but gets the job done. To get bleach in the system you measure out amount you need and simply pour that into your fresh water hose and connect that to your water supply. this will push the bleach into the tank and mix with the water, and it will sanitize your hose at the same time. Once your tank is full you turn on each tap briefly so water flows till you can smell the bleach, do each tap in turn. Then it needs to sit for a few hours, I typically let it sit overnight, but many say 4-6 hours is sufficient.
Under your trailer somewhere will be a fresh water drain, that's how you will empty your tank, they don't have a pull handle like your grey and black do.
You will need drain and refill your tank and once again open your taps to rinse it out. I find I typically do 2 fills in order to not smell any residual bleach solution.
Some people also sanitize the hot water tank at the same time...I find that bleach solution lingers too long in the hot water system so I bypass my hot water tank when sanitizing.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:34 AM   #3
WFD

When you say you bought a new Rockwood, is it brand new or new to you? If brand new, I don't think I would bother with sanitizing, as its never been used. You may want to simply fill your fresh tank and run all your taps just for a rinsing and possibly flush any debris that could have possibly got into the lines. You may want to remove any aerators on the taps, in case there is debris in the lines, since the aerators will trap the debris.
Old 09-19-2021, 08:37 AM   #4

I took a look at some pictures of your trailer. It kind of looks like you have a gravity fill port for the FW tank next to the front door. I didn't spot the city water port. To drain the FW tank, look under the trailer for a small plastic petcock valve which is probably mounted on the tank. If it helps, my trailer had labels on the trailer side where the valve was mounted, similar labels existed for the low point plumbing system drains which you will need to winterize the trailer, there is one for both the hot and cold water pipes
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2021, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post
idea is to sanitize your fresh water holding tank and the water lines and fixtures in the trailer. Connecting to city water connection will not allow this to happen. You need to fill your fresh water tank with sanitzing solution. Solution is 1/4 cup bleach for every 15 gal of capacity of your fresh water tank. It's a very mild solution, but gets the job done. To get bleach in the system you measure out amount you need and simply pour that into your fresh water hose and connect that to your water supply. this will push the bleach into the tank and mix with the water, and it will sanitize your hose at the same time. Once your tank is full you turn on each tap briefly so water flows till you can smell the bleach, do each tap in turn. Then it needs to sit for a few hours, I typically let it sit overnight, but many say 4-6 hours is sufficient.
Under your trailer somewhere will be a fresh water drain, that's how you will empty your tank, they don't have a pull handle like your grey and black do.
You will need drain and refill your tank and once again open your taps to rinse it out. I find I typically do 2 fills in order to not smell any residual bleach solution.
Some people also sanitize the hot water tank at the same time...I find that bleach solution lingers too long in the hot water system so I bypass my hot water tank when sanitizing.
Thanks, I appreciate the step by step instructions.
Old 09-19-2021, 09:32 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I took a look at some pictures of your trailer. It kind of looks like you have a gravity fill port for the FW tank next to the front door. I didn't spot the city water port. To drain the FW tank, look under the trailer for a small plastic petcock valve which is probably mounted on the tank. If it helps, my trailer had labels on the trailer side where the valve was mounted, similar labels existed for the low point plumbing system drains which you will need to winterize the trailer, there is one for both the hot and cold water pipes
Thank you! If the fill area had teeth, it would have bit us. Not sure how I overlooked it.
Old 09-26-2021, 07:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFD View Post

Ditto. We do the exact same process!
Kathy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2021, 09:30 AM   #8
Camping the Natural State

My new Rockwood has a dump valve pull lever behind the rear axle/tire.
Old 09-29-2021, 10:02 AM   #9
Georgia Rally Coordinator

Well if this is a new camper this should have been all covered by the dealer when you did your PDI. Even if used, did you buy from dealer or private party. These items should have been covered. Later RJD
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 6.4 3:73 gearing.(sold) (sold) 2015 Chevy 2500 6.0, 4:10
Traded 2015 30WRLIKS V-Lite
Days camped 2019 62
Days camped 2020 49 days camped 2021-74 2022-40 days 2023 5 days
aceinspp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank