Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-25-2018, 04:26 PM   #41

Its not so much the dealer as it is forest river, apparently this is a situation that has been ignored by fr for a long time. it is just amazing no one has not been hurt our killed. We had a piece of the frame fly off and hit the vehicle behind us. this is just plain crazy and I am not going to let this go.
Crabdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 11:50 PM   #42

I'm thinking of strapping 2 - 2x4s to my axles underneath the water tank to catch it if it ever falls out. I have the torsion axles so they dont move.
Old 01-12-2019, 11:54 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
When those rails bend the cross member brackets pull out of the slots and the tank falls out. One thing to consider is to drill tiny holes in the ends of those cross member brackets and put safety clips in to keep them from pulling out of the slots. That was the first thing I did before I eventually refurbished the whole support system (note the safety clips in the photo below).

Over filling the tank is one thing. But the static load of 300 plus lbs of water turns into an instantaneous dynamic load of 500lbs when you hit the right pot hole. Thats what we have to protect against.

Rich J.
Your picture shows 5 supports under the water tank but only two have the clips, did you add the other 3 supports? How did you secure them?

Thanks
Old 01-13-2019, 12:30 AM   #44
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS1 View Post
Your picture shows 5 supports under the water tank but only two have the clips, did you add the other 3 supports? How did you secure them?

Thanks
Yes I added the other 3. I used JB Weld to secure them as I did not want to make any more slotted holes through the main supports. I believe the JB Weld was unnecessary as it took several whacks with a rubber mallet to get those supports in place, even with the fresh water tank empty.

Rich J.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:04 AM   #45

Been there Done that!!!

You are not alone. FR has known of this design defect since day 1 and continues to ignore it!!! This is a NHTSA safety issue and they should do something about it. See my post (#6) on this Forum from 9/11/16 and my solution.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...-a-115528.html
270S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:37 AM   #46

I filed a complaint with the NTHSA, Forest River has a history with the NTHSA they were fine millions in 2015 for doing the same thing. Ignoring a noted dangerous safety issue. This should turn into a class action suit with a large recall. Forest River has told me that they are putting out 150 units a day. On the one hand they are telling me that they were aware of this issue awhile back but they fixed it. I have examined older campers and seen numerous pictures of campers on line and the best I can see is that they are still using the same design they have used for years. They are definitely weighing profit vs loss with total disregard for human life and safety. I need to find a good attorney. Given my unit was only a few weeks old when this happened it is going to be hard for them to turn their back on this. The funny thing is my camper has been at the dealer for a month, the dealer originally was adamant that they could correct the problem. Forest River even approved the dealer to cut out the frame work and install heavier angle iron to support the 300lbs. + weight. the only problem is that neither Forest River or the dealer want to sign off on the redesign / modification. What good is it if they are not going to warranty their work
Old 01-13-2019, 12:36 PM   #47

I filed a NHTSA complaint too, so much for NHTSA.

I removed the old FR crap and it was apx $275 in Aluminum material plus whatever it will cost you to get it welded together. FR reimbursed me for the material bug gave me the middle finger for my labor or to have anyone else weld or install it.

That and a dozen other warranty items should have been a warning, but I purchased an RV from them a few months later (The industry preys on New Naïve Customers) and I ended up suing them (YES, I prevailed replacement parts plus labor costs) after they did not honor the warranty with over 70 defects! Can you believe most replies on this forum bad mouthed me for going after FR for building garbage.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:41 PM   #48

I don’t doubt that forest river doest not monitor and respond on this sight.
Old 01-13-2019, 12:43 PM   #49

I truely believe that most customers are out of the one ur warranty before they notice the problem
Old 01-13-2019, 01:17 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabdad View Post
I truely believe that most customers are out of the one ur warranty before they notice the problem
That is what they are counting on!

As an OEM in a different industry, I noticed the defects fairly quickly, but many were overlooked during my First PDI because a "rookie" to the RV industry I would never of thought to check if headlights were installed correctly, AC units were rusting internally before installation, brake lights worked, door closed, fiberglass had severe cracks, water leaks, Generator would not work above 80 degrees, fans defective, parts missing (table was never installed, ...), suspension rust, windshield never sealed, … list is way too long, this is just some of the 70 warranty issues and I did a 7 hour PDI. I learned a proper PDI will take 3-4 days at a minimum with full hookups required.

If any other industry behaved like this, they would be bankrupt overnight without business. They take advantage, …. To this day, I can not believe that they are as unregulated as they are and have repeat business. I am on my first RV and last. I do not know how some get above 2, much less upper single or double digits. I think many just accept it, but I will not succumb to mediocrity, much less inferior products.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:52 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
That is what they are counting on!

As an OEM in a different industry, I noticed the defects fairly quickly, but many were overlooked during my First PDI because a "rookie" to the RV industry I would never of thought to check if headlights were installed correctly, AC units were rusting internally before installation, brake lights worked, door closed, fiberglass had severe cracks, water leaks, Generator would not work above 80 degrees, fans defective, parts missing (table was never installed, ...), suspension rust, windshield never sealed, … list is way too long, this is just some of the 70 warranty issues and I did a 7 hour PDI. I learned a proper PDI will take 3-4 days at a minimum with full hookups required.

If any other industry behaved like this, they would be bankrupt overnight without business. They take advantage, …. To this day, I can not believe that they are as unregulated as they are and have repeat business. I am on my first RV and last. I do not know how some get above 2, much less upper single or double digits. I think many just accept it, but I will not succumb to mediocrity, much less inferior products.
That's because not all have problems in fact i would say the majority . I do agree quality control is abysmal builds are less then good cheap materials ie self tapping screws used everywhere , scrapes used to stiffen fenders and quarter panels . etc . I'm going on 4 yrs in my unit without really any issues . a few things under warranty that i did myself but was sent parts no questions asked . Do i wish a few things were built differently Yes . but all in all it works . should have had bigger axles and tires that were rated to load . but after almost 4 yrs full timing it i can't complain everything has worked with out stopping
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 06:22 PM   #52

Dropped Water tank 2018 8329S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabdad View Post
We have had our tank drop -Twice. Dealer fixed it once.

This last time I fixed it myself with heavier 2x2x1/4" steel angle iron. So far so good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180317_135123.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	498.9 KB
ID:	195078  

2018 8329 SS Rockwood /260watts solar
Grn_Mtns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2019, 07:48 PM   #53
Scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
We have had our tank drop -Twice. Dealer fixed it once. This last time I fixed it myself with heavier 2x2x1/4" steel angle iron. So far so good.
Nice! The 2 x 2 x 1/4 inch angle iron is what I used and now I can bounce down Forest Service roads with a full fresh water tank with confidence.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:17 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grn_Mtns View Post
We have had our tank drop -Twice. Dealer fixed it once.

This last time I fixed it myself with heavier 2x2x1/4" steel angle iron. So far so good.
The most interesting item I noticed is that you appear to have had some form of cover under your tank. None on my TT.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:09 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270S View Post
The most interesting item I noticed is that you appear to have had some form of cover under your tank. None on my TT.
Covered underbelly is very common. My 2007 Jayco had it, but my 2018 Cherokee is an open belly, which makes it easier to work on, but also picks up more dirt than a covered one.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM   #56

We have a signature series TT and they are covered by the black coreplast plastic. Easy to cut into and seal again with gorilla duct tape.

Old 01-22-2019, 09:00 AM   #57

If people only Knew. My Rockwood Too has been at the dealer for a month and they keep wanting to put it back together with inferior metal supports the topper is that no one wants to guarantee the work. not the dealer doing the work, Forest River or Lippert the frame manufacture. Im sure they are just trying to get through the warranty period so they can tell me to get lost
Old 01-23-2019, 08:34 AM   #58

Prevent Tank drops!

Even tho ya shouldn't have to I now fill my tank with this mod.
It helps water escape before blowing out the supports of your tank since the breather tube is too small or does not work. Open faucet just halfway to reduce volume of water entering tank.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MODRW.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	195201  

Old 01-23-2019, 11:22 AM   #59

I reinforced my water tank this last week. While I was under the trailer I noted the overflow tube seems to follow the water fill tube into the wall, but I have no idea where the overflow tube ends up going as I dont see an overflow vent anywhere. On my last RV the overflow vent was right next to the water fill hole.

Does anyone know where the over flow hose goes too?
Old 01-23-2019, 02:17 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMS1 View Post
I reinforced my water tank this last week. While I was under the trailer I noted the overflow tube seems to follow the water fill tube into the wall, but I have no idea where the overflow tube ends up going as I dont see an overflow vent anywhere. On my last RV the overflow vent was right next to the water fill hole.

Does anyone know where the over flow hose goes too?
On both my Roo and my Mini Lite, it's part of the fill connection. Like the one below, the little round screen at the 5 o'clock position. Does your fill connection look different?
Attached Images

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank