Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-19-2016, 03:59 PM   #1

Fresh water tank problem

DW and I went camping this weekend and I crawled under the camper to check things out (we have a 23LB), and I noticed that the the front water tank support is bent letting the tank to hang down far enough that I can stick my hand between the top of the tank and the floor of the camper, the back side seems OK so far. I need advice on how to fix this.
cruiser1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser1701 View Post
DW and I went camping this weekend and I crawled under the camper to check things out (we have a 23LB), and I noticed that the the front water tank support is bent letting the tank to hang down far enough that I can stick my hand between the top of the tank and the floor of the camper, the back side seems OK so far. I need advice on how to fix this.
This is sounding like a reoccurring issue. Can you post some pictures?
Wobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Use a jack and take the bend out of the support.(do this with the tank empty) measure across the frame and buy .065 walled 1"X 2" box steel. Line up the 1"X 2" with the support frame to frame. Drill through the the box steel, frame and tank support. Install a nut bolt and lock washer . Do this to both sides. Repeat with the other support. Then NEVER fill the tank with high flow and unattended. This is what caused the tank to bulge and bend the support. (Don't ask me how I know)
Grizzzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 10:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzzman View Post
Use a jack and take the bend out of the support.(do this with the tank empty) measure across the frame and buy .065 walled 1"X 2" box steel. Line up the 1"X 2" with the support frame to frame. Drill through the the box steel, frame and tank support. Install a nut bolt and lock washer . Do this to both sides. Repeat with the other support. Then NEVER fill the tank with high flow and unattended. This is what caused the tank to bulge and bend the support. (Don't ask me how I know)

Our tank was never filled, the supports bent simply due to the weight of the tank which was about 2/3 full. The angles used were too light. In addition they punch the leg of the angle to accept the tab on the spreader angles. On ours not only did they punch those oblong holes in the horizontal leg but also in the vertical leg weakening it further. It bent and actually kinked where those punched holes were. I replaced with a heavier angle. I did not want to reduce my ground clearance which is too low to begin with.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 07:01 PM   #5

Quote:
Thanks Grizzman that's what I did today but I did an overkill and put in a third rail down the middle underneath the middle front to back supports
Old 06-27-2016, 07:03 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Our tank was never filled, the supports bent simply due to the weight of the tank which was about 2/3 full. The angles used were too light. In addition they punch the leg of the angle to accept the tab on the spreader angles. On ours not only did they punch those oblong holes in the horizontal leg but also in the vertical leg weakening it further. It bent and actually kinked where those punched holes were. I replaced with a heavier angle. I did not want to reduce my ground clearance which is too low to begin with.
That's where mine bent also
Old 06-28-2016, 12:18 AM   #7

Not everyone has ability to cut steel, weld, or drill/bolt steel. If you fit into this category consider this tip:

Use several wide/strong ratcheting straps across the width of the tank to keep the tank frames from bowing out and the straps also keep the tanks from falling out. 3 straps should do it for the average RV water tank.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 04:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Not everyone has ability to cut steel, weld, or drill/bolt steel. If you fit into this category consider this tip:

Use several wide/strong ratcheting straps across the width of the tank to keep the tank frames from bowing out and the straps also keep the tanks from falling out. 3 straps should do it for the average RV water tank.

And what do these ratchet straps get attached to? The steel that is already deflecting? Evidently you're not familiar with the construction of these specific trailers were talking about. You have nothing to attach those straps to other than the steel that is already failing.

You do not want to play around with this by doing some type of band aid fix. It's not going to be pretty if that tank comes out while you're going down the road for you or the people behind you.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:21 AM   #9

Quote:
And what do these ratchet straps get attached to? The steel that is already deflecting? Evidently you're not familiar with the construction of these specific trailers were talking about. You have nothing to attach those straps to other than the steel that is already failing.

You do not want to play around with this by doing some type of band aid fix. It's not going to be pretty if that tank comes out while you're going down the road for you or the people behind you.
Mr. Havercamp, you are rude.

Using ratchet straps is not a band aid fix and I propose that is is a viable and durable fix that doesn't require any drilling or cutting. Most folks don't own cut off saws with metal cutting circular saw blade.

I have retaining strap that are over 10 years old, are dirty with dirt and oil, exposed to UV exposure, exposed to the elements and are holding up just fine! The straps should do better in an enclosed bottom is is fairly well removed from the elements with the coroplast liner.

If the tank is supported by the bottom, using a strap with metal clips as depicted in the picture below is easy. Just clip it over each tanks retaining angle iron "bars" and ratchet away. Use several over length of tank and Viola, you are done!

Not only will this fix keep the factory retaining angle bars from widening, but it'll also support the tank and keep it from falling out if it bows-unlikely.

I'm sure the straps will outlast the trailer.

Click on pic below to see what type of strap end is ideally suited.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:59 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD View Post
Mr. Havercamp, you are rude.

IMO it's a band aid fix. If saying that is rude then so be it. May as well wrap some duct tape around it also!

You are suggesting attaching these nylon straps to the under engineered supports that are the problem to begin with. When the supports eventually fail your straps will hold the entire assembly together in one neat package as it bounces down the highway.

Just by bundling the entire mess together with straps solves nothing. But whatever works for you I guess. LCI who makes the frames and the failing tank supports thinks its enough of a problem that they'll cover it under their warranty. They will not use nylon straps. If you are not capable of fixing it yourself take it to someone who can like the people that made it to begin with.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #11

Quote:
That's exactly where it bent. Ground clearance was a non issue for me. (I would wipe the steps out loooog before the mod.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Thanks Grizzman that's what I did today but I did an overkill and put in a third rail down the middle underneath the middle front to back supports
Great! My low point drain is in the middle at one end. So that was not an easy option.
I had never taken this 2016 2504S on a trip.
Not only did the mounts bent, the tank split open at a corner of the low point drain. I added a front to back brace next to it. Its unbelievable just how "round" the tank got at that end. According to the manufacturer of the tank it should be supported on all sides with "at least" 1/2" plywood. Go figure.....
Old 06-30-2016, 06:50 AM   #13

Quote:
Great! My low point drain is in the middle at one end. So that was not an easy option.
I had never taken this 2016 2504S on a trip.
Not only did the mounts bent, the tank split open at a corner of the low point drain. I added a front to back brace next to it. Its unbelievable just how "round" the tank got at that end. According to the manufacturer of the tank it should be supported on all sides with "at least" 1/2" plywood. Go figure.....

Who is the manufacturer of your tank? I could not find a manufacturers name on the stock tank in our 2017 Roo 23WS.

I added a second tank on our Roo. This one was made by Alpha Systems, is the same exact dimensions and almost the same fitting configuration as the stock tank, and its quality and strength is head and shoulders above the cheap flimsy tank Rockwood installed at the factory.
Old 06-30-2016, 10:19 PM   #14

My tank seemed to be made of pretty thick material so it didn't deform very much or at least I caught it in time before it had the chance to
Old 06-30-2016, 10:23 PM   #15

Quote:

Actually I did use ratchet straps to hold other up till we got it home, I used 2 and crossed them in the middle where the bend was. I attached them to the frame side to side rails with the hooks through the holes that are used for the various wiring
Old 07-01-2016, 01:12 AM   #16

[QUOTE=TonyD;1241941]Mr. Havercamp, you are rude.

Totally agree!
RangeMaggotBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 05:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Actually I did use ratchet straps to hold other up till we got it home, I used 2 and crossed them in the middle where the bend was. I attached them to the frame side to side rails with the hooks through the holes that are used for the various wiring
Using nylon straps as a temporary fix to get you home is one thing. Suggesting they be used as a permanent repair in this situation is completely different. The logic that most people can't cut steel, so throw some nylon straps around it as a permanent solution is just wrong. If the roof of your house springs a leak, maybe you should just spray some Flexseal on it because you don't know how to pound a nail. That's just my own rude opinion.

All of these tanks have some give to them when you fill them. I know for a fact that in some of the cases where these supports bend, it's caused by the manufacturers having the tank installed tight to the underside of the floor. They should leave at least three quarters of an inch of space above the tank.

I suspect that Grizz's tank splitting like that, off of the drain fitting was more of a problem caused by the spin welding process installing the fitting. It's very easy to run the router just a little too long while you're spinning one of those fittings on which makes the wall of the tank too thin right where the hole was drilled.
Old 07-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #18

For some reason, I'm feeling the need to defend Mr. Havercamp.

It would seem TonyD has thin skin. I did not find Mr Havercamp's response in #8 at all rude; I would describe it as a "frank" response. Sometimes we don't like to hear a frank response, but that doesn't make it "rude." He was simply providing his opinion of what you were planning to do (or maybe did do.).

He didn't call you names, he didn't question your integrity, he didn't besmirch your good name or impugn your family.

He did question your knowledge of the frame construction, but I might have, too.

He's been frank with me in the past. I may not have liked it, but it wasn't rude.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Using nylon straps as a temporary fix to get you home is one thing. Suggesting they be used as a permanent repair in this situation is completely different. The logic that most people can't cut steel, so throw some nylon straps around it as a permanent solution is just wrong. If the roof of your house springs a leak, maybe you should just spray some Flexseal on it because you don't know how to pound a nail. That's just my own rude opinion.

All of these tanks have some give to them when you fill them. I know for a fact that in some of the cases where these supports bend, it's caused by the manufacturers having the tank installed tight to the underside of the floor. They should leave at least three quarters of an inch of space above the tank.

I suspect that Grizz's tank splitting like that, off of the drain fitting was more of a problem caused by the spin welding process installing the fitting. It's very easy to run the router just a little too long while you're spinning one of those fittings on which makes the wall of the tank too thin right where the hole was drilled.
The tank split at the square low point drain in a corner due to the tank going "round". It was so round the tank heater was pealed off the tank.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 AM   #20

Quote:
Don't ask how I know either.

I pulled my framework out, straightened it up, then reinforced it with .125"X1.5" angle iron.

Nights camped in 2014-28, 2015-127, 2016-10
SKnight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fresh water, tank, water, water tank