Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-09-2011, 05:11 PM   #1

front landing legs

How far should the front legs retract on the 2011 Rockwood 8285ws. The front legs when completely retracted are 8 1/4 inches on one leg and 8 5/8 inches on the other one as measured from the top of the leg to the top of the foot pad.

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:09 PM   #2

That sounds about right.
You don't want to tighten them too much with the electric lift, as you might damage something. I left mine about a half inch short of fully retracted, and marked them there. That way I know I won't over tighten them.
crocus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 06:39 PM   #3
Commercial Member

distance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
How far should the front legs retract on the 2011 Rockwood 8285ws. The front legs when completely retracted are 8 1/4 inches on one leg and 8 5/8 inches on the other one as measured from the top of the leg to the top of the foot pad.
Putting the marks like Crocus (Post Above) is very important because, very time you come down with the landing gear you come a little further and in a hurry you don't go put as far. Then at some point, in the dark, you get them higher to keep them from dragging and you raise them into the stop and you grind the gears. Once the gear teeth grid off they won't work. They keep slipping. I have never seen a repair shop do the job in less than 4 hours.
fixer58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 10:03 PM   #4

Well, I thought the landing gear motor system did not seem to work properly since I got the 5er in January of this year. When raising or lowering the legs the motor or gears seemed to strain when operating (the noise level was getting louder during each use). So yesterday the motor would not lift or lower the legs and I'm unhooked and sitting in a campground. I was able to use the manual crank to raise the 5er up, however, the first two cranks of the handle was extremely hard. After that the manual crank operated fairly easily. I retried the electric motor and the problem reoccurred. My dealer's service manager at first thought the problem was with the gear system but he said that since I was able to manually crank the landing legs that the problem may be elsewhere. I did notice grease fittings located in the front compartment one on each landing leg. Could this be the problem (needs grease)? On a side note when the legs will not retract or extend there is a terrible ratcheting sound coming from the gears while trying to operate with the electric motor.

PS We are otherwise enjoying the Western Canyonlands

2011 Rockwood 8285 WS
2011 GMC 3500 HD 4X4, 6.0, 4.10, SRW
Hoo Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:31 AM   #5
Commercial Member

sounds bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoo Dad View Post
or extend there is a terrible ratcheting sound coming from the gears while trying to operate with the electric motor.

PS We are otherwise enjoying the Western Canyonlands
If it slips and makes a griding noise the teeth may busted off the gears. Some times you can take the two small bolts and nuts off the top of the leg (inside the storage compartment) and see if it the teeth on the gears are bad. This way you won't have to take the whole leg out.

Another thing that may cause what you discribe is bent legs. Grease with help that some.