Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-16-2018, 06:32 PM   #1
kfr

Front Window Concerns On Rockwood 2509s

I am considering purchase of Rockwood Mini Lite 2509S. Please respond to verify or dispel each concern with the Front Window on Rockwood 2509S or other models with front window.
1. Breaks or rock chips from tow vehicle.
2. Does it let in light when shade is pulled or does it completely block out the sunlight? I wake up at first light and it seems sunlight will be in my face with the window right over my head.
3. Does it cast a silhouette of what is going on inside the trailer through the shade at night when interior lights are on.
4. Leaks
It seems a poorly conceived addition in campers with a Murphy bed. During the day when the window would most likely be used is when I would want to stow the Murphy bed to use the couch. Murphy bed will cover the window during the day. At night when you are less likely to even use the window is when I am concerned with privacy. I don't want to be the entertainment for the campground!!!!!!
kfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 06:46 PM   #2

All good concerns! Party Pooper! Youroo!!
Old 06-16-2018, 07:47 PM   #3

My 2016 is one of the flat faced ones. If I were to buy one today with the glass in front, I would go to a boat canvas shop and have a padded sumbrella cover made that would snap around the window. With the right color it would look good, minumize the chance of a chip and provide an answer to any privacy concerns. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 10:03 AM   #4

We have a new 2509s that we have used 3 times since picking it up in May, so I will try to answer some of your questions.

The front shade is the same as on all the other windows, so no more light comes in through the front window than any other. More light comes in through the window in the door than anywhere else (we are working on a cover for that).

I worry more about rocks and debris from other vehicles hitting the window than rocks from my rear tires. Good mudflaps help that issue. I would like to find some type of custom cover for travelling...if possible just for added protection.

During the day, all the windows are tinted so it's very difficult to see inside. Pull the shade at night and no issues with giving the campground a "show". Someone could easily see inside without the shade drawn, but you cant see through it.

Just like the windshield on your tv, if its properly installed it should not leak. I've heard of a couple people online who had leaks, but we've had heavy rain and I washed it too with no leaks. It's heavy windshield grade glass.

I understand your thoughts on a front window/murphy bed combo. I was disappointed at first when they changed the front end. We had been looking for awhile, and that almost changed our minds. I'm glad we didn't let that stop us from buying it.. We love this camper!! The floor plan is great for 2 adults and 2 kids. Its roomy enough inside for all of us, and easy to tow with a 1/2 ton pickup. We looked at older models before we ordered the 2019 model, and I think the new front end makes it feel bigger up front. I would not hesitate to recommend the 2509s to anybody looking for a trailer in this class.

Hope that helps. As Josh the RV nerd says, "good luck and happy camping."
TJ Midwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 03:53 PM   #5

We have owned a 2511S for a couple of months. It has the curved front windshield that we just love. Waking up in the morning with that window at the head of the bed is really cool. You can slide up the shade and enjoy all the views of nature right from your bed. I think it is one of the best features of the trailer. I agree with many of the points that TJ Midwest mentioned above. Good luck with your decision.
Iowa City Fix It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

I have a 2017 2109s with the front window. DON'T GET ONE WITH a FRONT WINDOW! Ours was cracked by something when meeting someone on the highway the first few months we had it. I didn't do anything. Months later, we were marbled by someone back east while traveling. Got my truck windshield and the camper window again.

I looked into replacing the window going back to the old style metal cover that goes over the window. It will be around $800 to repair and cover up.

It is a huge engineering flaw and will eventually cost you a lot of money to replace that window.
mgarland48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 05:27 PM   #7

2. Shade doesn't stop much light as far as sleeping goes. We camped too near a street light once and another time our campsite neighbor had enough light outside all night to see from space... I cut two pieces of cardboard (didn't have a big enough piece for one) and slid between the shade and the glass. You cannot see it from the outside due to the dark windows and not from the inside with the shade down. It worked so good I did all the windows except the kitchen.
Old 06-17-2018, 05:40 PM   #8

We have the 2018 flat front 2509S

We got one of the first 2018 models but it was just like the previous year with a flat front. So, I guess the round front model is a 2018.5 It would be nice to have a window at the head of the bed but we haven't missed it.

What we did for light issues is to cut pieces of Reflectix or Double Bubble insulation to cover the windows and it works well. Plus when you are parked you can use it to keep the heat of the sun outside and save on the air conditioning. We cut one piece and fastened it with Velcro tabs over the skylight in the bathroom. It cuts the inside temp by a huge amount.

When not being used all these window covers slip under the mattress of the bunks.
TV: 1999 Dodge 2500 Cummins 4x4
Honda EU2200i Generator, 300 Watts Solar
Ham Callsign KD7UM
UT_Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:54 AM   #9

Same for our 2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Midwest View Post
We have a new 2509s that we have used 3 times since picking it up in May, so I will try to answer some of your questions.

The front shade is the same as on all the other windows, so no more light comes in through the front window than any other. More light comes in through the window in the door than anywhere else (we are working on a cover for that).

I worry more about rocks and debris from other vehicles hitting the window than rocks from my rear tires. Good mudflaps help that issue. I would like to find some type of custom cover for travelling...if possible just for added protection.

During the day, all the windows are tinted so it's very difficult to see inside. Pull the shade at night and no issues with giving the campground a "show". Someone could easily see inside without the shade drawn, but you cant see through it.

Just like the windshield on your tv, if its properly installed it should not leak. I've heard of a couple people online who had leaks, but we've had heavy rain and I washed it too with no leaks. It's heavy windshield grade glass.

I understand your thoughts on a front window/murphy bed combo. I was disappointed at first when they changed the front end. We had been looking for awhile, and that almost changed our minds. I'm glad we didn't let that stop us from buying it.. We love this camper!! The floor plan is great for 2 adults and 2 kids. Its roomy enough inside for all of us, and easy to tow with a 1/2 ton pickup. We looked at older models before we ordered the 2019 model, and I think the new front end makes it feel bigger up front. I would not hesitate to recommend the 2509s to anybody looking for a trailer in this class.

Hope that helps. As Josh the RV nerd says, "good luck and happy camping."
X2
Same for our 2018 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8311WS
Old 06-18-2018, 06:01 PM   #10
kfr

Thanks for comments.

Thanks for comments. I think I can make modifications for just about any concern I have concerning the front window but I am now most concerned about how long Forrest River will have that "special" window available as a replacement part and how much will it cost to replace? I tend to keep autos and campers for an extended time because I maintain them at the highest level. That could be a major issue for this front window camper a few years from now. If you spend anytime on the highway, gravel and back roads as I do, you will get rocks chips and windshield breaks. Almost all of my vehicles eventually have a rock in the windshield during their life but I easily replace them. Auto glass is easy to find. I will have to research how long Forrest River will have these special windshields or if after market glass can be found. What would you do with a camper with a broken front window that you can't replace? I will see how Forrest River answers my concern to see if I am willing to take a chance on a camper I will have for many years.

If it can happen, it seems to happen to me.
kfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 06:58 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfr View Post
Thanks for comments. I think I can make modifications for just about any concern I have concerning the front window but I am now most concerned about how long Forrest River will have that "special" window available as a replacement part and how much will it cost to replace? I tend to keep autos and campers for an extended time because I maintain them at the highest level. That could be a major issue for this front window camper a few years from now. If you spend anytime on the highway, gravel and back roads as I do, you will get rocks chips and windshield breaks. Almost all of my vehicles eventually have a rock in the windshield during their life but I easily replace them. Auto glass is easy to find. I will have to research how long Forrest River will have these special windshields or if after market glass can be found. What would you do with a camper with a broken front window that you can't replace? I will see how Forrest River answers my concern to see if I am willing to take a chance on a camper I will have for many years.

If it can happen, it seems to happen to me.
Let us know what forest river says.
Greg
Greg in michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #12

We have a 2706WS with a front window. I like having that large window in the bedroom. We recently took the camper on a week long trip, a good portion spent of dirt roads. As such, we did get a chip in the window. Luckily, we found it before it spread and were able to get it filled for free. A lot of the window replacement companies offer free chip repair. It is good that this window is an automotive-grade windshield, or they wouldn't be able to do chip repair.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #13

Personally, I like the look of the glass on the front of my Ultra lite, and I LOVE the overall redesign of the 2018 front ends for both the Ultra and Mini Lites.

I'm not saying your concerns are not valid, but I'm choosing not to worry about the front windshield. I'm sure I've driven over 1,000,000 miles in my life, and I can recall 3 instances of dealing with cracked or chipped windshields, and 2 of them were able to be fixed without needing to be replaced.

Our TT's are somewhat shielded by the TV's, and we certainly don't put millions of miles on them during their lifetimes.

Can it happen? Yes. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. Is it likely to be catastrophic? Rarely.

I think it's one of those "don't sweat the small stuff" things.
csyrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 PM   #14

I'm sure within a year or two FR will re-design the front ends for the Signatures, Ultra Lites and Mini Lites its just a changing evolution I wouldn't be surprised if they go back to a window cover....
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 05:24 PM   #15
54 Years, 13 RV's

I bought my 2018 2304KS just before the change. Built in late June, bought in early August. For all the reasons you mentioned, I'm really glad I have the flat front.

Regarding light coming in the door glass, I installed the tinted shade window in the door. Love it. No light when the shade is closed and good view when it's open.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:03 PM   #16

We have a 2013 2703ws with a front window and awning type cover that could be raised when we setup. The seal was not installed correctly at the factory and over time it leaked and delaminated at the corner of the window. We got the front replaced and requested no window. Love it. No heat and less light.
Old 06-21-2018, 06:38 PM   #17

We have a 2902WS. I am not so particular, but my husband has trouble sleeping if there is too much light. We often camp near people that insist on keeping their campsite lit up like Vegas all night.(my sister and BIL). We bought a roll of silver reflective insulation and covered the windows in the bedroom from the inside; we placed the insulation between the window and the shade. I also covered the window in the door and the domed skylight over the shower. Our bedroom is pitch black and he loves it. This also helps with cooling the trailer.
2018 Ram 2500
2014 Spark
gondrej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:48 PM   #18

We have a 2017 25 FKS with the flat front window that is not covered. We must have had a rock chip hit it and now the glass interior layer is shattered. It will cost up to $800 to replace the window. The lead time to get the part is 5-6 weeks from Lippert and no telling how long at the RV dealer to have it replaced.
If I had it to do over I would not buy the trailer with the exposed glass on the front. I can't imagine who the idiot was at the factory who decided to put such a fragile piece of glass on the front of the trailer with no means to protect it during travel.
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #19

Shattered Front Window 25FKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by csyrell View Post
Personally, I like the look of the glass on the front of my Ultra lite, and I LOVE the overall redesign of the 2018 front ends for both the Ultra and Mini Lites.

I'm not saying your concerns are not valid, but I'm choosing not to worry about the front windshield. I'm sure I've driven over 1,000,000 miles in my life, and I can recall 3 instances of dealing with cracked or chipped windshields, and 2 of them were able to be fixed without needing to be replaced.

Our TT's are somewhat shielded by the TV's, and we certainly don't put millions of miles on them during their lifetimes.

Can it happen? Yes. Is it likely to happen? Probably not. Is it likely to be catastrophic? Rarely.

I think it's one of those "don't sweat the small stuff" things.

Here is what the "small stuff" looks like after 1 small rock chip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Window 5.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	182093  
morganrc1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 03:18 PM   #20

There is a price you pay for everything, for almost everything is a compromise...
As for the windshield in the front, you will be dealing with risk of chips, colder temperatures in the bedroom (when freezing outside), condensation in subfreezing temperatures and light.
There is a remedy all of those but that is the price you pay to have the windshield.
We love the appearance of the front cap with the windshield from the outside and we appreciate a lot the airy feel it gives our bedroom during the day and the opportunity to check the weather w/o getting out of the bed early morning so for us the above "characteristics" are not a deal breaker.

About chips:
Bought my camper October last year and already put 7000 miles on it.
Coming back from our first trip (2400 miles round trip) in December the windshield got chipped - two small spots close to each other.
After that we got sub freezing temperatures and also above 100F during this summer and the chips didn't progress so I took the camper to the dealer and they said chip is not covered by warranty.
So I called insurance and they sent a technician to fix that.
I haven't got any more chips.
I do have mud flaps on the truck...

" Life is simpler when you plow around the stump..."
RACarvalho is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood, window