Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2021, 05:29 PM   #1

Front window protection

My 2018 Rockwood 2507S got a stone chip in front window and cracked about 4 inches. I see many FR trailers with front windows. How does anyone keep it protected from flying rocks hitting it as it costs a lot more to replace than a truck windshield. We love the camper and quality but wished the new ones had a fold down window cover like the older ones.
sims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #2

My 2018 Viking came with a fiberglass window cover that folds down to protect the front window. The reason I bought this TT is all of the windows. I have a front full size queen bed with a window on both sides and the front, a window behind the kitchen sink, and side windows behind both dinette seats and a giant window on the rear. It is like traveling with a greenhouse.
BarabooBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 07:30 PM   #3

People have used a variety of things to cover front windows. Some have used clear windshield protection film. That is probably the easiest because it is flexible and clings to the windshield. Others have made canvas or bubble insulation covers.
One I really liked was a cover made of dark Lexan to help keep out the sun. https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-222224.html
Old 02-10-2021, 06:41 AM   #4
Camping the Natural State

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post
My 2018 Viking came with a fiberglass window cover that folds down to protect the front window. The reason I bought this TT is all of the windows. I have a front full size queen bed with a window on both sides and the front, a window behind the kitchen sink, and side windows behind both dinette seats and a giant window on the rear. It is like traveling with a greenhouse.
Right. It would be a greenhouse in an Arkansas summer.
Old 02-11-2021, 02:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarabooBob View Post

Is there a aftermarket or a solution from Forest River to prevent the Front Window from getting cracked. This is the first i have heard of this and it would make the purchase of this trailer less popular.
erm626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 03:06 PM   #6
llr

The front windows and my TT and many others are laminated windshield glass like cars use, not the flat tempered safety glass that will shatter and really needed to be covered.

Anything can break but so far I have a bunch of rock chips in the front cap but the windshield is perfect. I am not concerned about it. and a crack in this should not interrupt a trip.
TV 2024 F350 DRW - on order
Prior TV 2017 F150 6.5' bed 3.5 Eco-boost Max tow 1800lbs payload
llr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2021, 04:26 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by llr View Post
The front windows and my TT and many others are laminated windshield glass like cars use, not the flat tempered safety glass that will shatter and really needed to be covered.

Anything can break but so far I have a bunch of rock chips in the front cap but the windshield is perfect. I am not concerned about it. and a crack in this should not interrupt a trip.

The Rockwood Specs does say the front Glass is a Automotive Windshield. From what i have read, there is no protective cover to keep from chipping. Unless you can create something or design a cover, could be a expensive replacement.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:25 AM   #8

My Windshield Cracked

I did get a bad rock chip on the windshield on my 2020 Flagstaff Classic. It developed into a 16" long crack almost immediately. I'm in the process of replacing the windshield. Cost about $850 including tax for the glass and install. Shipping is additional. The only source for the windshield is Rockwood/Flagstaff factory. Trailer has about 10K miles on it. There were a few small minor chips also in the glass. The front fiberglass is peppered with small dents/chips from rocks.

I too would like to find a solution to help prevent this from occurring again.
Old 02-13-2021, 09:56 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkWA View Post
I did get a bad rock chip on the windshield on my 2020 Flagstaff Classic. It developed into a 16" long crack almost immediately. I'm in the process of replacing the windshield. Cost about $850 including tax for the glass and install. Shipping is additional. The only source for the windshield is Rockwood/Flagstaff factory. Trailer has about 10K miles on it. There were a few small minor chips also in the glass. The front fiberglass is peppered with small dents/chips from rocks.

I too would like to find a solution to help prevent this from occurring again.
Check out this Post from Sharon.72064 maybe not the prettiest but it could work by using velcro.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-219297.html
Old 02-13-2021, 10:02 AM   #10

This Post was from Bellacamps and it's a bit more expensive and much more involvement to make. The lexan cost a few hundred dollars

https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...on-222224.html
Old 02-13-2021, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sims View Post
My 2018 Rockwood 2507S got a stone chip in front window and cracked about 4 inches. I see many FR trailers with front windows. How does anyone keep it protected from flying rocks hitting it as it costs a lot more to replace than a truck windshield. We love the camper and quality but wished the new ones had a fold down window cover like the older ones.
We use "Rock Tamer Flaps"! They help protect the window and keep Mud/Tar/Horse Exhaust/and Stone-Gravel-Rock off the Pulled vehicle! Youroo!!
Old 02-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
We use "Rock Tamer Flaps"! They help protect the window and keep Mud/Tar/Horse Exhaust/and Stone-Gravel-Rock off the Pulled vehicle! Youroo!!
Could you explain in detail a little more on how the Rock tamer flap would work on the front window. Maybe a picture in how it looks ? The protection of the front window is never a issue until it becomes a issue and the need to replace the front window...
Old 02-13-2021, 05:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by erm626 View Post
Could you explain in detail a little more on how the Rock tamer flap would work on the front window. Maybe a picture in how it looks ? The protection of the front window is never a issue until it becomes a issue and the need to replace the front window...
Apparently you have NO knowledge what "Rock Tamer Flaps" are or you just want to question my proper use of them! My other recommendation for you might be a 4x8 piece of plywood over the window! I am sure your post will stay and mine will disappear,but my Original post was a valid reply to the OPs problem! Youroo
Old 02-13-2021, 06:15 PM   #14

Quote:
Apparently you have NO knowledge what "Rock Tamer Flaps" are or you just want to question my proper use of them! My other recommendation for you might be a 4x8 piece of plywood over the window! I am sure your post will stay and mine will disappear,but my Original post was a valid reply to the OPs problem! Youroo
No one is questioning your advice.
Are you talking about the Rock Tamer Flaps that go behind the truck/car tire to that keep stones from being thrown up by your truck? That will work if the stone is thrown up by your vehicle, but it doesn't help if the stone is thrown up by a passing vehicle. It does happen.
They do make a plastic film that's supposed to protect against rock damage, but I don't know how effective that would be.
Old 02-13-2021, 06:30 PM   #15

I recommend security film:

VViViD 12 Mil Clear Safety Window Film 30" Wide x 10 ft Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GC323Y...PPNKTFREVV0MAV

Just glad to get away
HONDAMAN174 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2021, 08:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Your response was a little on the a nasty side. I asked a question and you misunderstood, I was not questioning your proper usage, I had no idea a rock tamer flap was a mud flap... . As far as you snippy 4x8 plywood response, i detect sarcasm.
Old 02-13-2021, 08:39 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by HONDAMAN174 View Post
I recommend security film:

VViViD 12 Mil Clear Safety Window Film 30" Wide x 10 ft Roll https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014GC323Y...PPNKTFREVV0MAV
Exactly what i was looking for, Thanks for sharing Sure beats using a sheet of plywood !
Old 02-14-2021, 03:11 PM   #18

Quote:
My bet is that most of the damage to these windows is not from the tow vehicle.
Old 02-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigDug View Post
My bet is that most of the damage to these windows is not from the tow vehicle.
I would agree. That is why that fake diamond plate on the front of most trailers is less than half way up the front.

In technical terms the angle of the dangle is not equal to or less than
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #20

This is what I plan to do. https://tab-rv.vanillacommunity.com/...ock-protection
Skyscraper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
window