Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2018, 04:43 PM   #21
Dr Travel

Full-timing in a Rockwood Ultralight 5ver

Ok, first off, you can do it.

Others have pointed out the usual pitfalls and challenges. I'll share some good stuff with you.

We chase the good weather in our 32' Rockwood Ultralight, and are now in our fourth year. As in "4".

Yes, they are not built for full-time living, so what. They may not last as long as the heavier, Arctic Packaged, jobs, but if you are not planning on cold weather, who cares?

We have had essentially zero problems. And when I say we live in it, we do, 24/7/365. Have been all across the U.S., into the Canadian Maritimes, and Alberta. Planning on a month stay one of these falls in the UP.

We travel when the weather turns nice, and head south when it turns bad. We've wintered in AZ and FL, and wife prefers FL.

When I say zero problems, I mean ZERO. Biggest challenge is the bathroom hot water tap disintegrated and I have to replace it this weekend. Whoopie-do. Hopefully you will be as fortunate.

Like you, cost was a huge factor. We simply could not afford a Grand Design. Nor were we willing to go up to a diesel to tow, and the cost of that option was prohibitive anyway.

So we got a Ford F150 eco-boost with heavy duty tow package and special 3.73 rear end. Tows without a hitch (pun intended!!) Love the truck, love the fiver. We've towed through mountains 12,000+ in the west, and though those lovely windy-twisty mountains of the east. Not a problem. We get 10+ mpg when towing, 20+ when not. Only vehicle we own is the truck. Only home we have is the fiver. No storage units anywhere, it's all in the fifth wheel.

This year we are staying stationary in North Carolina just outside of Hendersonville for the entire summer. We love the Smokies and surrounding areas, and there is plenty to keep us busy there on a low-low budget. Then back to Melbourne, FL for the winter of 2018.

I suggest you plan your trip and book ahead, as getting spots is becoming more difficult with hardly a new RV park being added anywhere, old ones getting run down and RV industry now hitting four straight years of record sales. More RVers and the same number of RV parks = trouble.

Re tires, we just replaced our factory originals in Phoenix before heading to Florida. Goodyear has finally figured out there is a huge market for U.S. made RV tires, and designed a new tire just for that. Made in Mississippi or Louisiana, methinks. Anyway, toughest tires I have ever seen in my life. Been out 18 months+ - called Enduros. You order them direct from Goodyear and they deliver to a local dealer who installs. These tires blew me away. About $100 each installed. Highly recommend.

So go ahead with your plan, you'll have a blast if you keep your sense of humor and don't panic at the unexpected, of which there will be some, guaranteed. You'll get better and better with hooking up and towing the more you travel.

These lightweight rigs might not last 20 years, but I won't live to see that anyway. I was aiming for 10 years tops, and I am closing in on halfway and realize the 10 won't get hit. So I'm happy, the wife's happy, and we have over three years of non-stop adventure across the marvelous land of ours. Now go and have a great time!!!

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 04:52 PM   #22
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by robsshots View Post
So go ahead with your plan, you'll have a blast if you keep your sense of humor and don't panic at the unexpected, of which there will be some, guaranteed. You'll get better and better with hooking up and towing the more you travel.

These lightweight rigs might not last 20 years, but I won't live to see that anyway. I was aiming for 10 years tops, and I am closing in on halfway and realize the 10 won't get hit. So I'm happy, the wife's happy, and we have over three years of non-stop adventure across the marvelous land of ours. Now go and have a great time!!!
Absolutely awesome post, robsshots!

Out of curiosity, where are you staying in Melbourne for the winter?
Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 PM   #23
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard58 View Post
Manufacturers cannot void warranties. It's against the law. I work for a caterpillar dealer in the service department and have crossed this bridge many times. They can deny a warranty repair, but not void a warranty.
Secondly, what exactly is a full time rv? Made different? Labeled as such? Just asking as my wife and I plan on retiring someday and would like to travel with our travel trailer.
While on the topic of travel trailers, why couldn't you full time in a travel trailer? We've been rving for about 20 years and the quality is so much more improved now a days, just like the auto industry, that, IMO, a travel trailer could be used full time, not just a 5er.
Fulltime rig = supposed better insulation, components, and warranties that don't freak out if you live in it.

And there's no reason you can't fulltime in travel trailers. Lots of people fulltime in lots of things- from 20' campers to 45' diesel pushers. Whatever suits ya works.
Old 01-04-2018, 05:11 PM   #24

Congrats on choosing the lifestyle. Most of what everyone has said is good advice especially about living in an ultra-lite. I am 3 years into the life style and like everyone else I have learned a lot. The standard 5th wheel coaches will hold up better in the long run than will the ultra-lite. But this will give you a taste of the adventure. I have also installed a stackable washer/dryer where the services for one would be. Mine is in the bedroom. Tires are important. "G" rated tires will let you handle highway speeds better with an inert gas as a filler instead of air. No one mentioned budget, but make sure you have a formal budget so that you can determine how your money is lasting or being spent. On-line bill pay should be part of your vocabulary. You can control the money flow better, depending on when you are receiving your income during the month. If you don't have a budget and you are not computer friendly, then the "ledger page" is easy. If you are computer friendly, I find Excel works best for me and you can do projections with excel. Now, I am qualifying my self by saying that I am 72 and love the lifestyle. I also spend the winter in Florida for 6 months and then leave May 1st for my next adventure to start, sometimes that means just going north to Central NY, which is currently my state of residence. I drive a 2016 Silverado 1 ton diesel dually. My preference for long hauling. I'm sure that I will get some feed back on that. It is a crew with an 8 foot box which has a lockable tool box that sits below the rails, an 11000 watt generator that more than powers my rig plus it will help power someone else and then, right behind is the 5th wheel hitch. I tow a 2016 42 foot Cedar Creek 5th wheel with 5 slides and a 3 foot add-on porch for bikes and a spare tire. You will find your own niche.

Good Luck and enjoy your travels,
NYCattleman
nycattleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:21 PM   #25
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post
Good For You
You're asking for advice, so here it is:

Follow the weather if you can.

When you run into problems don't get frustrated post your questions right here.

Be aware of all your weights, upgrade your trailer tires before you go on any major trips and monitor/maintain your axles and suspension regularly.

Get a dehumidifier, there have been several posts lately from the SE where the posters experienced excessive moisture problems in their RV, it's always best to deal with those issues before they become an issue.

Happy Trails
I most definitely agree with the sentiments. An Ultralite may be a bit thin for your cold weather. Upgrade your tires to light truck before you go anywhere (experience talking here). Go up a size in rims if you need to. Weigh the rig before filling it with all your stuff and weigh it again after filling, preferably on the way out on your first trip. Surprises are not nice. You will probably have to weigh it again in about a year, after you keep adding a lot of 'essential' stuff.
Murbella7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 05:37 PM   #26

I'll be in Melbourne next winter........

We aren't full time, but have over 200+ days booked for 2018 and more will be added when I figure out where my 'buddies' are going to be!! We bought the absolute max of what we could afford, because it's super duper nice and it fits us. But we hit the ceiling!! LOL I can't imagine what difference it makes in what you use to full time, as long as your butt fits on the commode, recliner, and bed!?!?!! If it's your first one, it won't be!! Charge on, McDuff!

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 09:54 PM   #27

I cannot advise on full-timing, as I am not yet retired. I just wanted to wish you the best and am glad you are able to do this. None of us know what the future holds so enjoy the time while you can. Enjoy the adventure!!!
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:15 PM   #28

Congrats on your new FW and your full timing adventure. We have been full timing in a Ultra Lite TT for 19 months, ~30k miles and have had a great time. Yes, quite a few things break but if your handy most of it is easy stuff to fix. We did have one major issue, our axles developed cracks in the welds and had to be replaced. They were covered by warranty and as it turned out was not a big deal to get replaced. The Rockwood Warranty people are top notch and are easy to work with. When you are out of warranty the other thing to remember is the Goshen Rally in Aug, they will fix stuff for you for free and you get to attend a great rally and meet nice people. For the most part we chased the warm weather and got used to it. Right now we are back at home, up near SF and find our normal winter temps, 40-70 degrees freezing now. Can't wait to head south next week...

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:39 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by navygrandparents View Post
We also have planned to replace all 5 tires with American made tires before we move it. It is a shame that USA manufacturers have decided to use sub-grade Chinese tires just to save a buck. It would make more sense to use USA tires and raise the trailer costs.
Remember, if you are full timing you will have to drop it off to get it repaired. Where will you live if the repairs take any length of time?

My first suggestion, if you have not yet taken delivery of the 5er is to do a THOROUGH, VERY THOROUGH PDI (Pre Delivery Inspection) at the dealership BEFORE you sign the papers. Take all day if you have to. Do not let them tell you that anything works, make them SHOW you it works.

Make sure they explain Every system to you and demonstrate that ALL of them are operational.

Make a list of any deficiencies. Get them ALL repaired BEFORE you sign the papers and pay the dealer any money. This will incent them to get it fixed very quickly.

I think the 5er is a very good choice. Just do everything in your power to insure it is as trouble free as possible.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:27 PM   #30
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandJCarm View Post
I'll be in Melbourne next winter........

We aren't full time, but have over 200+ days booked for 2018 and more will be added when I figure out where my 'buddies' are going to be!! We bought the absolute max of what we could afford, because it's super duper nice and it fits us. But we hit the ceiling!! LOL I can't imagine what difference it makes in what you use to full time, as long as your butt fits on the commode, recliner, and bed!?!?!! If it's your first one, it won't be!! Charge on, McDuff!
Is that Melb Florida or Melb Aust?
Old 01-05-2018, 10:29 PM   #31
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harris85 View Post
I cannot advise on full-timing, as I am not yet retired. I just wanted to wish you the best and am glad you are able to do this. None of us know what the future holds so enjoy the time while you can. Enjoy the adventure!!!
We decided from the outset that full-time RVing was not for us, we like our house and I like my home theatre too much. Besides, we can't sell the house, it is supposed to be the kids' inheritance and we certainly would not rent it out.
Old 01-06-2018, 09:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murbella7 View Post
We decided from the outset that full-time RVing was not for us, we like our house and I like my home theatre too much. Besides, we can't sell the house, it is supposed to be the kids' inheritance and we certainly would not rent it out.

I tell my parents that the goal is to be broke when they pass. They have nothing I need, and I want them to enjoy every minute that they’re still here.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:08 AM   #33

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
I tell my parents that the goal is to be broke when they pass. They have nothing I need, and I want them to enjoy every minute that they’re still here.
X2. My parents had a sticker on their RV:

"We're spending our children's inheritance."

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #34

Quote:
Is that Melb Florida or Melb Aust?
LOL

LOOKING at possible floating tires and a diesel paddleboat, and if so, it's Melbourne, AU.

If that turns out to be cost prohibitive, it's Melbourne, FL.

FROG AR-0019-242
Old 01-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #35
Bene Gesserit Rule

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockfordroo View Post
X2. My parents had a sticker on their RV:

"We're spending our children's inheritance."
We have seen that a lot. Yes we are spending their inheritance, pacing it out but still going through it (the cost of owing and running these things is horrendous), but the house is theirs, after we'e gone, or at least until we decide to downsize and move into a retirement unit, then they get my old DVD collection and whatever is left in the filing cabinet.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:29 PM   #36

Quote:
We have seen that a lot. Yes we are spending their inheritance, pacing it out but still going through it (the cost of owing and running these things is horrendous), but the house is theirs, after we'e gone, or at least until we decide to downsize and move into a retirement unit, then they get my old DVD collection and whatever is left in the filing cabinet.

That is very,... generous.
[emoji4]
Old 01-07-2018, 05:07 AM   #37
Bene Gesserit Rule

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesptr View Post
That is very,... generous.
[emoji4]
I thought so...
Old 01-07-2018, 07:56 AM   #38

I enjoyed your blog. Thanks for sharing!

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:14 PM   #39
Dr Travel

thanks, glad you enjoyed the post. Could have written a lot more...but hey, ya gotta stop sometime.

We are in Melbourne, FL for the winter at Land Yacht Harbor. Lowest cost winter stay on earth. Even if rates are going up 15% in 2019...

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 PM   #40

Lower than $18 a day? Isn't that one an Airstream Campground?

FROG AR-0019-242

Tags
5th wheel, wheel