Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2018, 01:23 PM   #41
Dr Travel

$1800 for six months. Or five months, price is the same. Our cost for staying 5 months this year, including internet connection from Spectrum at $50 a month and about $50 a month (average) in electric: about $450 a month. That's $15 a day...We originally contracted for 5 months at $1400 but realized after we got here they had given us a four month rate instead of adding on the $400 for the fifth month. We are booking for next year at a full six months for $2070, plus cable and electric. Our electric runs a bit high because we are wimps when it comes to cold, so we keep the space heater going on cold days from when we get up to mid-morning. that burns a lot of electric. Could cut our costs a bit by using the furnace, but it does not heat the fiver evenly and we like the heat in the living area in the morning, not the bedroom. We could also eliminate the internet if we so chose as we are about 100 feet from the clubhouse with high speed free internet. But we opted for the convenience of direct hook-up, plus we like to stream stuff from Amazon Prime.

Fulltimers since 2014; still going strong in our RW Sig Ultralight Fiver. Have towed the Rockwood 27,000 miles with nary a hiccup. (Except for when participating in happy hours)

robsshots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:37 PM   #42

Over the last six years I have spent a few weeks each month in my 8281SS 5r for work. The AC is too undersized for the hot CA desert months but I have a portable AC that I use during the day to keep things under control. Some screws have been replaced and all the appliances still work fine. I replaced the internals of the toilet this last winter for a fraction of the cost of a new one, which took about 25 mins start to finish.

I hit some debris on the highway in heavy traffic which caused a blow out a few miles down the road and took out a fender, which I am replacing this spring. All four tires have been replaced. I replaced a propane hose and regulator, a screen door handle, the rivets in the outside step were replaced with bolts. The fantastic vent motor went bad and was replaced (look for a 17 RPM motor rather than the easier to find 7 RPM if you can) and a two of the plastic vents cracked and were replaced. The water heater element switch rusted out and would not stay on, so I replaced it. The fridge does not work on gas probably because the gas regulator went bad, on my list for the spring.

The front room slide motor/gear retention bolt came off while towing (I still have it) and during spring maintenance I will remove the bottom of the rig and fix it. I am getting ready to recoat the roof and redo all the beads. The front door lower hinge needs replacement as it locked up and is disconnected from the door.

It may seem like a lot, but most are little things and like is mentioned above, the Ultralights need a little more TLC if you spend a lot of time in them. Considering the demanding and extreme environment I'm in, I think it is doing pretty well.

2012 Rockwood 8281SS
2012 F-250 6.2 V8
Derekcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 01:43 PM   #43

I have been doing full time in a 2008, 26.5SS Ultralite for 17,000 miles/10 months now Having the adventure of a lifetime. Hope you fare as well. Yes everything seems fragile, but i figure with some of the bad pavement I couldn't avoid in that amount of miles, I'm just glad things rattle loose instead of break.
Deb Phelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:36 PM   #44

No Major Problems

Your fifth wheel will be fine. There will be some problems but that is to be expected no matter which rig you choose. I've towed my Rockwood over 36,000 miles during the last 4+ years and have lived in it since November of 2013. I've been coast to coast and border to border and over just about every mountain range in the U.S.

Fulltiming is FREEDOM. Enjoy it while you can and don't wait too long.
Louisiana before, fulltiming since April 11, 2014
blog--- www.gozatravels.blogspot.com
Darrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 05:28 PM   #45

Sanibel 3800 comparison

Looking for a bit of information and help in regards to the comparison of the 3800 Sanabel to other 5th wheels of it’s caliber and floor plan. By that I am meaning with its aggressive winter package. Looking for possibility of other options to compare it with on the market as to what can match it or out perform without breaking the bank?
On the road journey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 07:15 PM   #46

Take what you have and GO. Be considerate and reasonable in your expectations from your traveling companion (s) and your equipment. Do it as long as your having fun. America is a terrific place, filled with wonderful people. There’s a family in southern Illinois with a log cabin collection. You’ll find yourself again.
billywilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, wheel