Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2019, 08:56 PM   #41

I was given a Furrion by a friend who sold his fiver. It absolutely sucks! Connectivity is sporadic and the picture on the monitor is very bad. If I had spent my own money on this I would return it.
iammoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:25 PM   #42

I have a furrion I works great . Had the dealer install it when I bought the 5th wheel. It works perfect. Only thing I don’t like about it is the size of the screen. I wonder if you can get a larger monitor without replacing the camera been meaning to check into it .
Sfgoble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 09:50 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmcardle22 View Post
I just recently purchased a new Rockwood Ultra Lite 2608BS. It comes pre-wired for a backup camera. I have 2 questions.
* How is the power set up? Only when hooked up to tow vehicle?
* What would be the best Furrion product to install?
Thanks
I have the Furion rear camera and it is probably the best thing I have purchased in terms of getting from point A to B safely. I like the fact it acts as a rear view camera and allows me to see behind my TT in traffic and what not.

How it is powered - There is a 12v wire with a female connector inside of the Furion housing on the back of your TT. You remove four screws, take off the faceplate, plug in the camera into the 12v cable, and install four screws into the camera and mounting plate. You have to turn on your running lights for the camera to be on during the day.

You sync the camera to the monitor in the cab and it just works. Picture quality isnt the best on the smaller screen unit, but it is ok. The camera moves to night mode and is B/W when it is dark.

I am very happy with this unit.

Here is a link to FR Electronics and you can get it for $250. Ships from IN and I got it in two days...

https://www.forestriverelectronics.c.../fos43tasf.htm

-phil

Old TV- 2016 Silverado CC 1500 4X4
PhilM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #44

We got the 5” (?) monitor Furrion observation model this past Spring. Our Surveyor was pre-wired for it. When I went to install it I had trouble getting it to connect. Through some troubleshooting conversation here on the forum I realized that Forest River wired it to operate only as a backup camera.

So, even though we were pre-wired I had to remove the mount, cap off the existing wiring, fish out the wire for the marker lights (center marker was directly above so it was easy) and tap into that wiring instead.

The unit connects promptly and I’ve had no signal drops (24’ trailer bumper to tongue plus truck). We strapped the monitor to the rear view mirror with a couple of those hair elastics for ponytails. It’s in a natural location to see the rear view and doesn’t fight for dash space with the gps.

Might be a bit frivolous but it has given me more piece of mind when needing to change lanes than the tow mirrors alone, but then I don’t tow every other day like some of you!

Like someone mentioned above, buy it from Forest River. It defies logic but I wish I had checked before buying it elsewhere, even on sale.
boevermann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 10:21 PM   #45
Retired Coastie

Furion as well

I installed the Furion. Took 10 minutes to set up and has been working like a champ ever since. I'd do it again in a minute rather than worry about a different manufacturer just for peace of mind sake.
mcsebald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:50 AM   #46

Ex Furrion Owner

I just sold my Furrion Vision 2 (older gen.) yesterday. I never was happy with the screen resolution and 4.3 inch monitor was too small. I did run into a problem when I installed it last year. Installation was easy and it worked fine when my TV wasn't running, just had TV key to accessory and turned on running lights. As soon as I started the TV camera went dead. Turns out that my vehicle limits the amp draw on the running light circuit and didn't apply enough amperage to run the camera. Tapped into the camper itself to get a clean power source and it worked fine, just not happy with image. Has anyone tried other brands of cameras other than Furrion and Haloview? I'm in the market for a FHD (full HD) model.
Rotarydial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:56 AM   #47

Me be cheap

Make a mount for your iPhone and face time your iPad.
Papadave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #48

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3854.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	210.5 KB
ID:	220195Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3867.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	220196

Here is a picture of my Furion that I installed. It’s not the observation one, It the backup, had this one on my last trailer and when I upgraded trailer I took camera with me. We installed the observation model on my brothers. They look identical. It does its job. On highway it does pictulate a some but not enough for me to get the observation to replace it.

If you want a clean install than this will work. My brother likes his observation unit.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 08:02 AM   #49

I see a lot of negative comments on the Furrion system.....and will say it's not my experience.

We purchased the Furrion Observation system when it was on sale for $272.91 (tax included). The distance between the camera and the monitor is a good 46 feet and I don't have issues with reception. VERY impressed with the infrared night vision. And yes water droplets do hit the lens like all the other models.

The only thing I don't like....and it's not a function of the camera....is that it's powered from the trailer lights. Personally I wish FR ran a dedicated switched 12v lead to the camera so I don't have to always drive around with my lights on.

My next purchase will be the side marker lights/cameras. Will pair nicely with the camera system on my truck to give me a real good view of everything around me.

Between the automatic leveling of the RV, these cameras and other gadgets, I'm automating the family out of camping jobs.
Old 12-06-2019, 09:13 AM   #50

Does anyone uninstall theirs for winter storage? Asking from snowy Michigan...
rcarl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:47 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sfgoble View Post
I have a furrion I works great . Had the dealer install it when I bought the 5th wheel. It works perfect. Only thing I don’t like about it is the size of the screen. I wonder if you can get a larger monitor without replacing the camera been meaning to check into it .
No. Furrion does not sell individual components. You buy the whole system (camera, antenna, monitor) or you don't buy anything (as CincyGus pointed out in an earlier post).
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 09:54 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
The only thing I don't like....and it's not a function of the camera....is that it's powered from the trailer lights. Personally I wish FR ran a dedicated switched 12v lead to the camera so I don't have to always drive around with my lights on.
Even if there was a switched lead in the coach, you would still need to get that circuit connected to the TV somehow. Otherwise you would need to turn power to the camera on/off from inside the coach. PIA in my opinion.

Personally, I drive with my lights on all the time, even when not towing. Turning the lights on after starting the truck is the first thing I do, even before buckling up.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 10:52 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
No. Furrion does not sell individual components. You buy the whole system (camera, antenna, monitor) or you don't buy anything (as CincyGus pointed out in an earlier post).

Actually you can just buy the camera, the shark fin housing separately. You just can’t buy the display separately than the package.
2020 Ram 2500 Crew cab 6.5 bed

Ron & Shirley (Empty Nesters)
rmac04401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:14 AM   #54

Our TT came with a Furrion. Purchased new antenna and still couldn't get a good connection. Finally purchased remote extension cable with a magnetic based antenna and moved it forward of the roof AC. It works, but the picture quality is poor.
Bama Camper1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 11:20 AM   #55
Road Trip 42

I have the same furrion mount on the back of my 2015 3008w Rockwood Windjammer. How did you install that? Can you put a picture up please how it goes in the mounting thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2019, 11:27 AM   #56
Road Trip 42

Can you please post a picture of how your Halo it mounts on the outside of the trailer? Thanks in advance
Old 12-06-2019, 12:34 PM   #57

rear vision

Ours was a pre-wired setup for a back-up camera which would only power up when trailer was being backed up. I think the power came from the backup light wiring. The dealer, after I inquired, tied the power source to the trailer running lights so I could use it as a rear vision camera going down the road if I so desired. I usually have running lights on when towing anyway so it worked OK. Still haven't figured out the view stuff as the antenna broke of when RV covered during winter. Using DW as back-up view now, just wish I could lower or mute the audio.
RCPatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #58

wired better?

I want a rear observation camera for my TT also but I'm concerned with the connection being spotty and I don't want the dash screen to have an antennae sticking up. I am thinking of doing a wired system. Anyone try that? Obviously a lot more work (but that is the actual purpose of Rv'ing, right?). Love to know if anyone has tried a wired unit yet
ConWood Farms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:41 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Thanks MrProvy, that one worked. But it's not compatible with my Haloview MC7108 camera anyway. Walaby that Haloview 7108 is about 300 bucks cheaper than the Furrion with 7" monitor. Good choice. Order the mount bracket too, but not the one Mrprovy linked to, that one is for a different cam.
Know the difference between the 7108 and 7101 except $50?
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 02:43 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papadave View Post
Make a mount for your iPhone and face time your iPad.
I like it.
Mike
2015 Sierra SLE 5.3 V8 4x4
Mike223 is offline   Reply With Quote