Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-15-2019, 11:27 PM   #21

If the 4.3 inch will work for ya...

https://www.forestriverelectronics.c.../fos43tasf.htm

Works great for us!
DonD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 12:36 AM   #22
Canadian Member

I bought the camera that DonD linked to. It’s OK but I find the 4.3” screen a bit small and not bright enough. For the same cost I’d look at the Haloview MC5111. They sell an adapter kit so you can mount it on the pre-installed bracket on the rear of your trailer and connect it to the Furrion plug.

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mc...vr-system.html
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 05:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Famoussenior View Post
The observation camera will remain on as long as you have your driving lights on.
Don't know why you can't find the 5" Furrion monitor and camera. I bought mine a month ago off Amazon. Did you do a search for model FOSO5TASF?

Walmart has it for a reduced price by mail as part of advanced Black Friday shopping.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Furrion-V...SABEgKTIPD_BwE
i did find it, thanks for your info
Wonderful co-pilot
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 07:59 AM   #24

When we got the new trailer, I immediately bought the Furrion camera because we were pre-wired, too. I took it back after the first tow with it.

My trailer length total is 34', plus the length of the truck to the dash. I could not get a continuous feed. It had a lot of static and the screen froze a lot. I tried repositioning the antennas but nothing worked. The only time it worked was when a big truck passed me on the left and the signal bounced off of him.

I decided instead to buy a $15 camera and $30 monitor and run RCA cables under the trailer and under the truck. I connect the two when I hook up the trailer to tow. Works perfectly with no signal loss.

I've read that cell phone and blue tooth signals will interfere with the signals. I don't know if that what caused my issues, but it wasn't worth the squeeze for me.
Old 11-16-2019, 08:01 AM   #25

I have the Furrion 381556 FOS48TAPK-BL and love it. It went out a 4 months after I bought and Furrion replaced it. Great customer service.

There is about 30 between the camera and receiver with a pretty clear picture. At night the display is slightly pixilated but that does not present any problems.
tyler811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 08:14 AM   #26

Thanks for all the great info I am looking at purchasing a back up camera in the near future.
Old 11-16-2019, 10:37 AM   #27
Rookie

Here's a link to the mounting plate itat mentioned above; I too installed the mc5111 system at the dealer and it worked great during our trip home (at night). Only catch is, with the angle of the camera on the furrion mount, it's not like a true rear view mirror; it's angled down to view the rear bumper. It does work great for knowing when the TT is clear for lane changes.

Haloview B-F02 Backup Camera Bracket Adapter Compatible with Furrion Pre-Wired RVs for Haloview MC5111/CA109 Camera https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBTPHCM..._BAb0Db3AXK5HV
Old 11-16-2019, 10:52 AM   #28

Just so you know,,, if you have a travel trailer, it only works when plugged in to the truck. And in my case my running lights have to be on because the power wire feeding the camera location comes from the lights harness on the back of the TT. (travel trailer). The other way its powered is only if you are in reverse. Buy the better one that works while running the roads. Works excellent for passing clearance.
Lee Pedrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 09:59 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
I bought the camera that DonD linked to. It’s OK but I find the 4.3” screen a bit small and not bright enough. For the same cost I’d look at the Haloview MC5111. They sell an adapter kit so you can mount it on the pre-installed bracket on the rear of your trailer and connect it to the Furrion plug.

https://www.haloview.com/haloview-mc...vr-system.html
I will probably pull the trigger on this one. Just curious; it says built in speaker and microphone. Does this take the place of walkie talkies when you have assistant back there (my current method)?
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:30 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by john221us View Post
I will probably pull the trigger on this one. Just curious; it says built in speaker and microphone. Does this take the place of walkie talkies when you have assistant back there (my current method)?

No, it is not a two-way communicator. The microphone is in the camera. The speaker is in the monitor. You can hear your spotter but they can not hear you - - unless you're yelling pretty loud out the window, of course.

For just around $30 more you could also get the MC7108. Same specs but with a 7" monitor.
gastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastan View Post
No, it is not a two-way communicator. The microphone is in the camera. The speaker is in the monitor. You can hear your spotter but they can not hear you - - unless you're yelling pretty loud out the window, of course.

For just around $30 more you could also get the MC7108. Same specs but with a 7" monitor.
Ok, good to know. My better half doesn’t love the walkie talkies. She says I am acting like a kid, but I guess they stay...
john221us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:12 AM   #32
Canadian Member

The review of the Haloview says the audio isn’t great and as Gaston said its only one way. If you both have cell phones you can use them (hands free when driving) so you have 2-way communication without the buttons and its more private, too.

I already have a 7” screen on my dash for the Garmin RV GPS so I prefer the smaller screen for the rear view camera.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 AM   #33
Trailer Park Supervisor

My Haloview I can hear my wife back there great, and I am severely hearing impaired.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 10:19 AM   #34

I tried 3 different ones now. Wifi and BT will interfere with signal and sprint phones (depending on your area but I find this to be minimal unless you keep your phone next to the antenna).

My trailer is 30ft long and truck is another 20. The antenna does not go above the trailer due to placement.

I started with something I had. A cheapo one from amazon that had the wifi connection in the wiring and would work with any hardwired camera and monitor. This was terrible even when I moved the connection to the front of the trailer it would go black a lot of the time. I found this worked better when I disabled wifi in the truck. I cut the wire for the furrion and spliced it. Simple positive negative connection. If you dont like cutting the wires furrion provides a connection to pug in and you can use the wires from that to connect your other camera. I moved this to a small enclosed trailer that sits outside all the time. No water in the lens yet but still has connectivity issues.

I bought the furrion observation camera for the TT after this. It was great. It never missed a beat unless I lost running lights. I would stick the monitor to the rear view mirror with a suction cup and good to go. The monitor was small but functional and accurate. I did not like that I could not use a different monitor but it did work. After 2 years of all outdoor uncovered storage this camera became so cloudy that I could only see during the day when the sun was head on. At night or with the sun any other direction it was a bright cloud. I could see someone was there but no clue where they were. Since the price went from 250 to 350 I tried another camera if I am going to have to replace it every few years.

I bought a Amtifo Digital Wireless Backup Camera and 7" Monitor. This is an HD camera and looks good for $120. They offer a second camera and a windshield mount post purchase for free. The larger monitor helps and fits in the dash indent on the F150 pretty good. Took it on a 3500mi trip and was disappointed. Signal would cut in and out and worse it would freeze up showing clear roads when someone was there. I found I had to watch to see if the lines moved or changed before I would believe it. In the end it works but not ideal. I would rather have a black screen than a frozen one that does not represent what is actually there. Old info is worse than no info to me. I tried putting 5dB gain wifi antennas on the unit and it did not work at all until I swapped them back so not sure if this is using 2.4GHz or not. The forums I have read (mostly airstream) that have this camera do not praise it much for water proofing either but time will tell and the trailer is now covered in storage so less of an issue for me now.

All cameras did pretty good night and day until water gets in the lens. I guess 2yrs outside all the time is not bad for electronics but the price point is what kept me away from furrion the second time around. I guess you get what you pay for with them.

You can wire a constant hot to it but getting the wire there will be your biggest problem as most wires to those areas a switched by something else like running lights, porch or awning lights. Very few would be constantly hot. If you have cabinets you can run inside those before drilling to the outside but be sure to seal really well of water will come in. I also find drip loops outside are better to minimize water intrusion.

You choice on what is works best for you as I have not found the goldilocks camera yet.

Best of luck.

dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2019, 05:21 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrprovy View Post
... Only catch is, with the angle of the camera on the furrion mount, it's not like a true rear view mirror; it's angled down to view the rear bumper. ...
The vertical angle of the camera can be adjusted.

Camping nights: 2021, 52; 2022, 99; 2023, 88; 2024, TBD (Est: 80+)

chriscowles is offline   Reply With Quote