Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-10-2015, 08:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabmeb View Post
Old tool, be careful with the kureg and the gen on Eco. Ours didn't draw enough power to go to high and the gen started to surge. The coffee maker is now a paper weight
I will have to test it and see what happens. Kureg makes so many different model. If it causes a problem I will go back to my old Black & Decker and only use it when I am on electric.

Thanks for the warning! Got too much invested in the generator to chance damaging for a cup of coffee.

Jim
oldtool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #22

I'm curious about something. Did you consider buying 2 of the EU2000i generators and running them in parallel instead of the EU3000i? They are much lighter and smaller. If you did consider it and decided against it, what were the reasons you decided against it?

I already have one of the EU2000i (the companion model) and am considering buying the the other one to have 3600 watts continuous and 4000 watts peak. This would give me 30 amps of power.
strat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:09 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat56 View Post
I'm curious about something. Did you consider buying 2 of the EU2000i generators and running them in parallel instead of the EU3000i? They are much lighter and smaller. If you did consider it and decided against it, what were the reasons you decided against it?

I already have one of the EU2000i (the companion model) and am considering buying the the other one to have 3600 watts continuous and 4000 watts peak. This would give me 30 amps of power.
This is what I was thinking about recommending rather than the mount. I am just not a fan of bumper mounting.....

Nights Camped (2018-16) (2017-16) (2016-13) (2015-13)
SuicideSaints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 10:03 PM   #24

Quote:

Yes I did and my reason may seem stupid to some. I have a 70 pound chocolate lab that goes camping with me all the time. Some of the places I go don't allow dogs so I have to leave her in the trailer. Therefore I need to leave the generator with the trailer and keep it running for the AC.

This is the reason for the bumper mount. Granted two 2000 watt were an option but two of them and the extra fuel tank would weigh about the same as the 3000, and cost about the same. However they would take up more space which I did not have. Not only that they are much easier to take a walk.

Two 2000 watt generators is a good option if you can leave them in your truck and keep them secure. In my case that was not an option. That would defeat the purpose of having the generator. I know 2 people that have had 2000 watt Hondas stolen because they are light enough to pick up and walk off with so make sure you keep them secured well!

Jim
Old 06-11-2015, 08:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtool2 View Post
Yes I did and my reason may seem stupid to some. I have a 70 pound chocolate lab that goes camping with me all the time. Some of the places I go don't allow dogs so I have to leave her in the trailer. Therefore I need to leave the generator with the trailer and keep it running for the AC.

This is the reason for the bumper mount. Granted two 2000 watt were an option but two of them and the extra fuel tank would weigh about the same as the 3000, and cost about the same. However they would take up more space which I did not have. Not only that they are much easier to take a walk.

Two 2000 watt generators is a good option if you can leave them in your truck and keep them secure. In my case that was not an option. That would defeat the purpose of having the generator. I know 2 people that have had 2000 watt Hondas stolen because they are light enough to pick up and walk off with so make sure you keep them secured well!

Jim
Thanks Jim, appreciate the reply. I don't think you're reason is stupid, it makes perfect sense in your situation.
Old 06-11-2015, 07:27 PM   #26

I got a big surprise today. I stopped at a local trailer place and told them I needed a 330 amp trailer generator adapter. Service man went in back and came out with a new one, same as the one on Amazon, for 10 dollars less! I figured if they had it they would be higher but it just goes to show it pays to shop local at times.

Hooked it up and it eliminated the surge problem. I didn't try the coffee pot with the AC running though, LOL!

Jim
Old 07-16-2015, 08:32 AM   #27

Quote:

Actually both would give you 3200 watts or 26.6 amps of continuous power. It would be nice if it was 30 amps. Not trying to call you out but this may factor into someone's decision to go with the 2x 2000 watt setup. I always thought the Yamaha Inverter 4500 would be great as this would supply 33.3 amps.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 08:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
Actually both would give you 3200 watts or 26.6 amps of continuous power. It would be nice if it was 30 amps. Not trying to call you out but this may factor into someone's decision to go with the 2x 2000 watt setup. I always thought the Yamaha Inverter 4500 would be great as this would supply 33.3 amps.
I guess maybe I assumed because the companion model had a 30 amp outlet on it, it would supply 30 amps but I see from looking at the specs you are correct. 26.6 is still plenty to run an AC and some other things however.

Thank you for correcting me, I hate to give out incorrect information.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:58 AM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
I guess maybe I assumed because the companion model had a 30 amp outlet on it, it would supply 30 amps but I see from looking at the specs you are correct. 26.6 is still plenty to run an AC and some other things however.

Remember your converter is a constant amp draw. 1-8 amps.
Mine runs a pretty constant 1-2 amps with nothing on.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...aws-17300.html

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "11 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 11:57 AM   #30

Quote:

Actually is 3.2 amps more than my 3000 is rated. The 30 amp plug on mine is rated at 23.4 amps continuous. I have found I can run he AC with the TV or stereo with no problems. Just don't try two heavy loads at once. You need to shut the AC off if you are going to run a coffee pot, microwave, crock pot , convection air oven and so on.

Jim
Old 07-17-2015, 08:28 AM   #31

Quote:

Yes 26.6 amps would run a 15kbtu ac with no problem. When I checked my Progressive 30 amp power manager it showed about a 13 to 14 amp draw while my 15 kbtu ac was running. Not sure what it draws at startup but you could easily have your TV, lights, etc. on at the same time.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 AM   #32
Site Team - Lou

I am sure someone mentioned it, but the weak point in a bumper mount is the bumper attachment welds and the tissue paper bumper itself:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00303.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	83161   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG-20110911-00301.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	83162   Click image for larger version

Name:	bikerackfail.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	83163   Click image for larger version

Name:	attachment-1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	211.0 KB
ID:	83164  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 10:15 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I am sure someone mentioned it, but the weak point in a bumper mount is the bumper attachment welds and the tissue paper bumper itself:
No, I believe this is the first time I have seen it mentioned. I did notice it though. The square tubing bumper is about half the thickness of the square tubing I got to support the plate my generator is placed on. My welder overlapped the plate so it is also welded to the frame on that corner. This acts as a fish plate giving much more support.

I do think I am going to bring him back and have him add fish plates on the underside between the bumper and frame on that side. I then want the same thing done to the other side. Then the generator would have to tear the bumper in half to fall off, not very likely.

I considered placing a square tube inside the original bumper. This would add a lot of strength to the bumper but would not help the welds to the thin metal bumper itself. I could add a pipe inside it that fits snug but again, will not help the welds on the bumper. This would be a waist of time.

Got to look but may be able to weld a piece of angle iron across the two I beam frames underneath. Then add a fish plate from it to the two square tubes supporting the generator plate. Got to look underneath to see if enough of the frame is exposed to do this though. This would take a lot of the stress off the thin bumper.

Would have done this the first time but did not know how thin the bumper was!

Jim
Old 07-17-2015, 10:20 AM   #34
Mod free 5er

oldtool2, the problem is the frame itself is also very thin (0.075") and is also a 3 pc welded design. Just not wise to add anything to the bumper or the frame itself.

Tags
5th wheel, generator, mount, wheel