Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2017, 01:49 PM   #1

Generator suggestions please

I have read a few forums about generators and what people use. I’m still clueless. I’m even more clueless on the whole wattage vs amps etc terms.

Does anyone have any plain suggestions on what to buy. Just want something to power the AC. My trailer has 2 15,000 btu units (its a 50amp 2017 rockwood 2703ws). I don’t need both running just giving details. I just want something that I can park at a rest stop and take a nap during my travels.
Mcaruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
PhD, Common Sense

Amps X Volts = Watts.

You likely have two 50A circuits. Each can use up to 50A x 120V = 6000 Watts. If your generator is less than 6000W for a side, you can’t run as many appliances on that side.

Example: You plug in a 3600W generator. At 120V that is 30A. If you add up the Amps from the appliances you are running, that can’t exceed 30A.
eye95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:08 PM   #3
Always Learning

I just went through this. My plan was to be able to run either one of my A/C units at one time- either a 15k unit or a 13.5k unit. I opted to experiment and get just a single Honda EU2000i generator.

In order for it to run the A/C, I have to have all other breakers off. A soft start like the MicroAir EasyStart is a must. The first week of running with this was a frustrating learning experience for us.

I'm either going to bank on us learning our lesson or will opt for a second Honda 2000 and parallel them together.

If I had to do it again- I'd either pick a 3600 watt unit right out of the gate -- assuming it fits under my truck bed cover and I don't come to hate lifting it into the truck. OR just get the 2 Hondas right away.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Always Learning

Also- there's a lot of money to be saved in considering brands other than Honda and Yamaha. As far as I'm able to gather from reading forums, everything from the Champion to Harbor Freight inverter generators are performing comparable for a lot less money.

My issue and the reason I went with a Honda is that we travel extensively and I don't turn wrenches. In the case something went sour, I wanted something that has authorized repair facilities "everywhere" and Honda fit that bill.
Old 09-25-2017, 03:19 PM   #5
Pickin', Campin', Mason

To run one 15k A/C you are going to need about 2500-3000 watts unless you start adding start capacitiors or the MicroAir unit Doug mentioned above.

You'll get MANY opinions on how to get the wattage necessary.
Two smaller watt, lighter units paralleled together is how some do it.
A single, heavier, higher wattage unit is how others do it.

Me... I have a single 3500 watt unit that works well.
It still a workhorse but is getting some age to it.

My next unit will be the Champion 3400/3500 watt (same unit) unit with remote start.
Champion Inverters
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	champ_3400.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	152490  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 03:57 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Also- there's a lot of money to be saved in considering brands other than Honda and Yamaha. As far as I'm able to gather from reading forums, everything from the Champion to Harbor Freight inverter generators are performing comparable for a lot less money.

My issue and the reason I went with a Honda is that we travel extensively and I don't turn wrenches. In the case something went sour, I wanted something that has authorized repair facilities "everywhere" and Honda fit that bill.
Stick with the inverters if you plan to run anywhere but boondocking. Campgrounds don't allow openframe and you would not want that at a truck stop either I would think.

Had a Yamaha 2000w inverter. I needed to run AC. I MAY have been able to but ended up with a champion 3400w dual fuel to cover everything. DW likes her accessories and does not understand power mgmt. Sounds like your situation may differ. If you want to run two you can parallel a second champion to power all 50A. You can do this later or right away.

I got the champion so I could run off trailer propane or gas and also buy a second one if I want it for 50amps (I only have 30A on current trailer.)

It fits in the truck with the cover down and weighs about 100lbs and costs about $1100.

Boliy would as well and weighs about 79lbs but I was not sure about parallel. Cost is about $1000.

HF predator brand seems like a steal at $600 for a 3000w but they are not selling the parallel kit anywhere last I checked so I passed.

Yamaha and Honda 2000w are both $1000 each (you would need 2 to run one a.c. or have an easy start) with another $50-100 for parallel kit.

Noise, they are all loud bit relatively speaking the more expensive the less noise they make so it's a personal preference. Also loads at 25% are much lower than 100%.

There are many others but this is what I looked up.

Happy with the champion. Running everything I get 12.5hrs from 20lb propane tank or 13hrs from 5gal gas(you have to refuel or extend the tank for this). Using trailer propane will extend that time if you have 30lb tanks. I will get a second one when I get a larger trailer if I need it to run 2 AC units.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 04:21 PM   #7

Wow! You all are amazing! Such detailed info. Did not expect to have so many options. I don’t plan on running any accessories. Strictly AC (one unit in bedroom) for stops in my travels as mentioned. Want to be able to pull over at rest stops or somewhere to take a power nap and be back on the road. I guess I should rethink this. Seems extremely expensive to buy a suitable generator that’s quiet enough for rest stops and small in size to run from my trucks bed and yet enough power to run ac unit.
Hmm! Definitely going to have to do the ole pros/cons list to justify a big purchase like this..

Thanks all for your input
Old 09-25-2017, 07:51 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcaruthers View Post
Wow! You all are amazing! Such detailed info. Did not expect to have so many options. I don’t plan on running any accessories. Strictly AC (one unit in bedroom) for stops in my travels as mentioned. Want to be able to pull over at rest stops or somewhere to take a power nap and be back on the road. I guess I should rethink this. Seems extremely expensive to buy a suitable generator that’s quiet enough for rest stops and small in size to run from my trucks bed and yet enough power to run ac unit.
Hmm! Definitely going to have to do the ole pros/cons list to justify a big purchase like this..

Thanks all for your input

We have the 2 Honda 2000's running parallel and they run one AC fine as others have said they are noisy. We have on board 5500 Onan propane also. Runs pretty quiet but uses a lot of propane running 2 AC's. About 1 1/2 gallons an hour. $5.00 an hour this summer. Hondas were about $1.00 an hour at $3.00 a gallon for premium gas to run one AC and TV and ceiling fan. At 92 degrees outside one AC only got the trailer to 76-78 inside. No shade trees.
condojj48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 08:21 PM   #9

If I were to buy a generator today I'd buy the Harbor Freight 3500:

https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-w...tor-63584.html

It gets great reviews online, and there are many youtube vids. It looks like a great generator for $699.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:10 PM   #10

Champion 3400 inverter generator is what I would recommend. It is quiet, has incredible response to changing loads, and is backed by a 3 year warranty.

The harbor freight inverter generator has only a 90 day warranty. it doesn't have an option for high altitude jet, it doesn't have a handle to pull it, and it doesn't have a remote start option.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:46 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Champion 3400 inverter generator is what I would recommend. It is quiet, has incredible response to changing loads, and is backed by a 3 year warranty.

The harbor freight inverter generator has only a 90 day warranty. it doesn't have an option for high altitude jet, it doesn't have a handle to pull it, and it doesn't have a remote start option.
...and it doesn't have a $1000 price tag.....

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 10:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
You get what you pay for
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2017, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMWildcat View Post
You get what you pay for
You are absolutely correct.. my point was that all the added options cost money. Except for the longer warranty, which if it is a good unit you won't need to use, are the other options worth $300... just saying.

I don't boondock much at all. I'm about to spend 3 separate nights at Harvest Host Locations and decided to buy a 2000 watt inverter generator just to top off the batteries and run a few things. I know that Honda is probably the top rated unit but I decided to get a Wen generator since it is half the price of a Honda and has a very good reviews..
(https://www.amazon.com/product-revie...8YVMVCJ2539Q8J )

Since buying hurricane Irma came through Florida. Ran 24-7 for 4 days with no issues. Now I know this is not the final test as time will tell but I thought I would give it a shot. I'm on a trip now that will require firing it up again and I will have more time of evaluation.

But the Wen has no 3 year warrant, no wheels or pull handle and no remote start but a price tag of $475.38 plus free shipping.

Problem is now generators are in high demand due to the recent hurricanes and there are scalpers out there. I just checked Amazon and someone is selling new for $1700. That is not right trying to take advantage of hurricane victims.

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:26 AM   #14

I have a 3500 watt Powerhouse generator. I cannot get it in or out of the truck by myself. ( or with me and the DW)

It is much louder than the Hondas or Yamahas.

If I were to go back with what I know now I would have spent the money on a 2000 watt Honda or Yamaha and got the parallel kit. Either of these I can manage myself and I can run on or bot depending on how much power I need.

I also found that a car battery charger works better than the 5th wheel battery charger, so when I am boondocking a smaller wattage generator can be used just to charger the battery.

I hope this gives you some insight.

2004 Ford F550 6l Lariat SuperCrew, Fontaine Bed,
Link Systems Air Ride
2011 Sterling 32RL with Michelin XPS tires
extremebike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #15

I was considering the Honda's but decided on 2 Generac 2000 IQ's with the parallel connector. If I were going to be using them often I would have probably purchased the Honda's. The advantage to this type of setup is the ability to move them around easily because of the light weight. With two 2000 watt generators run in parallel you will still need the MicroAir Easy Start. Start current on RV air conditioners exceeds 40 amps. Watch their installation video where they measure the current.

https://www.microair.net/collections
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 09:01 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
With two 2000 watt generators run in parallel you will still need the MicroAir Easy Start. Start current on RV air conditioners exceeds 40 amp
I have a 15k a/c and two Honda eu2000is. I do NOT have any type of easy start device on my a/c. My 2000s start and run the a/c just fine, along with the TV, lights, and converter, all at the same time. So I think microair is just trying to sell more units as their 'facts' are just incorrect.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
True but try getting warranty or any service or parts on your Harbor Freight generator if it breaks.

HF offers a 2 year warranty for $129 on their HF generators. Add this amount and sales tax to the total and the HF with 2 years warranty is about $150 within the price of the Champion 3400 with all of the bells and whistles.

I'm not terribly brand loyal but am loyal to what works. I was a Boliy believer for 7 years but not anymore. My Boliy generator blew up, caught fire, and damaged one of my vehicles. It had difficulty adjusting to very heavy loads, required a hard start capacitor and cycling the a/c switch to get it to pull the a/c load. I'm of the opinion that the Boliy is not a true 3k generator and more of a 2400 watt one. The Champion has surpassed my expectations and can start my a/c while in econ mode at 10,000 feet altitude!

If you want a cheap loud inverter generator, sam'sclub.com has a Powerhouse 2800 continuous watt inverter generator on sale for $429. It slightly more than twice as loud as my champion-63db at idle versus 57 dB sound.
Skyliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #18
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewhedd View Post
... With two 2000 watt generators run in parallel you will still need the MicroAir Easy Start.
I don't believe this to be true.
My 15k starts and runs fine with my 3500 watt genny.
No MicroAir Easy Start on mine.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 10:59 AM   #19

So, if I was to get the champion 3400. I won’t be doing any parallel connections because.. well I’m clueless and that sounds like at lot of monitoring and work not to mention expensive. If I were to purchase this, this will run 1 of my 15k btu AC units right? Even with the 30amp connector?

I’ve read that I would have to shut the breaks to all other things except the AC is this correct? ( all I want to do it run AC nothing else) ..
Old 09-26-2017, 11:29 AM   #20

Just got one of these:

Ryobi Bluetooth 2,300-Watt Super Quiet Gasoline Powered Digital Inverter Generator-RYI2300BTA - The Home Depot

And a friend that I camp with got the same one. Now we are going in together to buy the parallel kit with the idea of pairing the two during the day to A/C one of our trailers while continually charging the other. And if either of us boondocks without the other, no problems either way.

BTW, the bluetooth is really convenient and works well.
windsurfdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator