Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2021, 01:29 PM   #181
Trailer Park Supervisor

Depends what tow vehicle you have. I lower tailgate on pickup, have wife hand bikes up to me while I'm standing on tailgate, then stand on that to put bikes on JackIt rack. I've also done it from small step ladder which can be a little hairy. I don't use ladder anymore, too risky.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 01:55 PM   #182

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Depends what tow vehicle you have. I lower tailgate on pickup, have wife hand bikes up to me while I'm standing on tailgate, then stand on that to put bikes on JackIt rack. I've also done it from small step ladder which can be a little hairy. I don't use ladder anymore, too risky.
My TV is 2012 F-150, full crew cab.
Can you drop tailgate fully while still connected to TT ?
STRETCH 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:11 PM   #183

We’ll do a shake down to Cape Henlopen ( I pick it up in Lakeview, Ohio & will test it bringing it home )
Then we’ll do a cross country East to West & back staying below any snow in the fall, then the upper half in the spring, 2022.
STRETCH 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 02:59 PM   #184
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRETCH 2 View Post
No. It will only open about half way before it hits tongue jack. I load/unload bikes when unhitched. I suppose you can climb up in bed and do it, but would not be as easy as standing on tailgate.
Old 03-26-2021, 03:13 PM   #185
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by STRETCH 2 View Post
No.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #186

Quote:
Originally Posted by RFawcett View Post
That's great. We just ordered ours site unseen. We've never seen one in person but have watched the few videos on youtube. It looks like exactly what we want. Can you give details on the issues we be looking out for?
Oh boy, I think the issues are not predictable. I've had many. I expected them because I've been trailering for 60 years. If it's not one thing it's another. If you hate fixing things you could become frustrated. I enjoy it and it's part of the fun.

A simple tool kit will take care of a lot of things. As you go along you may find yourself acquiring more specialized tools, particular parts and connective hardware (screws). Have a great time and take things as they come if you can. It's a great life.
edukehtoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 04:10 PM   #187
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good attitude edukehtoer!
Old 06-02-2021, 04:14 PM   #188
Trailer Park Supervisor

Wait...when was the post you just replied to??? I just scrolled back to 2019 and still didn't see it!

***Found it! November of 2017!!!!!
Old 06-04-2021, 09:55 AM   #189

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Wait...when was the post you just replied to??? I just scrolled back to 2019 and still didn't see it!

***Found it! November of 2017!!!!!
Yeah, I'm still trying to figure out when things have been originally posted. I didn't see that till later.
edukehtoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 05:58 PM   #190
Trailer Park Supervisor

on my computer, they show on the green bar at top of each post. Ahhhh, Fresno! That's where I used to fly in and out of when I lived in Lemoore.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:59 PM   #191

With all the crazy prices of trucks (inflated due to chip shortage, etc), I am on the quest for a TT that works with our Highlander AWD. It has the v6 and 5000 tow capacity. I've plugged in the numbers in a spreadsheet for the GVWR, GCVWR, etc. The crazy tongue weights I am seeing for the 19FSB have me realizing we are not likely to have a comfortable margin.

Has anyone worked on ways to put more of the weight over the trailer axle? I know you have to watch out for too much behind it.

Obviously a truck and a dual axle TT is a better all around configuration, but needs must (watching too much British TV I guess).

Am I dreaming that this is possible?
gkreis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 12:43 PM   #192

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkreis View Post
With all the crazy prices of trucks (inflated due to chip shortage, etc), I am on the quest for a TT that works with our Highlander AWD. It has the v6 and 5000 tow capacity. I've plugged in the numbers in a spreadsheet for the GVWR, GCVWR, etc. The crazy tongue weights I am seeing for the 19FSB have me realizing we are not likely to have a comfortable margin.

Has anyone worked on ways to put more of the weight over the trailer axle? I know you have to watch out for too much behind it.

Obviously a truck and a dual axle TT is a better all around configuration, but needs must (watching too much British TV I guess).

We were tongue weight challenged as well with our Mercedes ML350. RV tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of trailer weight...with 15% typical for single axle trailers. Our 19FD tongue weight at 630lbs, was 18% of the total loaded trailer weight of 3500lbs. The SUV was max rated at 575lbs.

We solved the problem by removing the 2 Interstate marine lead-acid batteries (105lbs) and installed a single Battle Born LiFePO4 100amp battery (30lbs) located to the front left compartment. It's an expensive solution, but got us safely within spec.

We also upgraded the converter to a Progressive Dynamics lithium converter. And to save weight on the WDH, we used a lightweight Andersen WDH.

We're careful about what we load in the RV ahead of the axle...trying to keep anything heavy over the axle or behind it.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:10 AM   #193

Thanks for the in depth reply! See below....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpcarroll View Post
We were tongue weight challenged as well with our Mercedes ML350. RV tongue weight should be 10 to 15% of trailer weight...with 15% typical for single axle trailers. Our 19FD tongue weight at 630lbs, was 18% of the total loaded trailer weight of 3500lbs. The SUV was max rated at 575lbs.
I looked up specs on your vehicle. Edmunds says your tow capacity is 7200 lbs. Wow. That is 2200 more than my Highlander's rating, yet mine is 30 more HP and slightly little more in torque rating. The Mercedes is about 200lbs heavier than the Highlander, but it shows you have 300lbs more payload at 1635. I guess that means a more stout suspension?

If you kept your trailer to 3500lbs (that is great), then you are WELL inside the rating of the vehicle.

I wonder how the fresh water tank affects the weight distribution? Does that tank sit very near the trailer axle? It would be interesting to know how that 30 gals (240lbs) of water would affect tongue weight.

Since both SUVs are roughly the same weight, I would suppose they would be similar in how they feel pulling the trailer. Do you 'feel' the trailer tugging on the SUV when it gets buffeted by a passing semi or a gust or wind? Do you feel at ease pulling it?

How does it do pulling up steep hills? Any issues with excessive transmission temperature?

Quote:
We solved the problem by removing the 2 Interstate marine lead-acid batteries (105lbs) and installed a single Battle Born LiFePO4 100amp battery (30lbs) located to the front left compartment. It's an expensive solution, but got us safely within spec.

We also upgraded the converter to a Progressive Dynamics lithium converter. And to save weight on the WDH, we used a lightweight Andersen WDH.
I wondered the same thing about moving weight back from the hitch. Lithium batteries area a good idea, but as you say, expensive. Did you do the change in power yourself?

Two 20lbs tanks are about 75lbs total weight when full. I've wondered about moving propane tanks, but I suppose that is a much more involved process with less return in lowering tongue weight.

If you do a LOT of boondocking and have sufficient solar charging, the Lithium is not just a luxury but more like a necessity. This is a CRAZY detailed comparison of AGM or Flooded to Lithium, but about 7:20 into it, you get the 'juice' comparisons.

Quote:
We're careful about what we load in the RV ahead of the axle...trying to keep anything heavy over the axle or behind it.
I've wondered the same thing about weight distribution. I know you need to be really careful about weight after the axle. The further aft, the greater the danger of out of control sway. I know I would never attach the shelves on the RV bumper to add storage after seeing the videos of those crashes.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:16 AM   #194

BHS versus FBS

I looked at the G20BHS and wonder if being able to put heavy storage items in the bunk area could help keep tongue weight down? It does add 400 lbs, but seems like it gives a lot more storage.

I noticed the 2021 models have 190W solar standard and the rigid cells that are more efficient and have less heat issues. That could be neat to feed a lithium battery. The 2021 also replaces the oven space with a large cabinet, deep sink, etc. My biggest concern is build quality if these factories are pushing too hard to get them out.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:02 AM   #195

We're just wrapping up our second trip in a 2021 20BHS and the only issue so far is bit of the foam seal around one window coming off. Everything seems to be holding up well. We even had a tenant living in the trailer for about 4 weeks while we renovated their suite. We've had full-service hook-ups so far but we'll have 6 days unplugged in July to really test the rest of the systems.

As for weight distribution, we try not to store too much in the trailer. The mythical tongue weight listed by the factory must have been achieved on Mars, I havent been able to record it lower than 600 lbs.
Old 06-18-2021, 11:29 AM   #196

Sorry if I am so full of questions....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
We're just wrapping up our second trip in a 2021 20BHS and the only issue so far is bit of the foam seal around one window coming off. Everything seems to be holding up well. We even had a tenant living in the trailer for about 4 weeks while we renovated their suite. We've had full-service hook-ups so far but we'll have 6 days unplugged in July to really test the rest of the systems.
Thanks for the feedback on the 2021 BHS! Did you order it and have a long wait or buy from the lot? It is reassuring to hear it is holding up well.

It sounds like you can give solar a workout soon. Do you have lead acid batteries on the hitch? If so, one or two?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Charlemagne View Post
As for weight distribution, we try not to store too much in the trailer. The mythical tongue weight listed by the factory must have been achieved on Mars, I haven't been able to record it lower than 600 lbs.
I heard that the fresh water tank is toward the front, so that will have an obvious effect on tongue weight. Have you had a chance to weigh it? I am hoping that it can come in under 4000 with clothes, food and a few things I don't want to have to move back and forth between the TT and TV.
Old 06-18-2021, 12:03 PM   #197

Quote:
Sorry if I am so full of questions....

Thanks for the feedback on the 2021 BHS! Did you order it and have a long wait or buy from the lot? It is reassuring to hear it is holding up well.

It sounds like you can give solar a workout soon. Do you have lead acid batteries on the hitch? If so, one or two?

I heard that the fresh water tank is toward the front, so that will have an obvious effect on tongue weight. Have you had a chance to weigh it? I am hoping that it can come in under 4000 with clothes, food and a few things I don't want to have to move back and forth between the TT and TV.
We lucked out, it was ordered in for a different customer and marked as sold when we looked at it, but the original customer backed out and we bought it two days after looking at it.

Yeah, we have a pair of Interstate GC2 Deep Cycle extremes on the hitch. And yes, the fresh water tank is right at the front (we haven't used it yet aside from filling it up once and draining it to check all of our water lines). We might move the pair of GC2's somewhere behind the axle on their own circuit and put a single lithium up front to trade off the weight of that fresh water tank. I ordered a Sherline Tongue scale to get the 630ish reading on the tongue weight but I should also take it up to the scale to confirm that. Filling the freshwater tank without relocating the batteries will certainly push us closer to a 700 tongue weight. We also challenged our tongue weight by removing the microwave and adding about 40 pounds modifying the bed at the front to make it a queen.

Overall very happy with the performance pulling it behind a 2021 Ranger with a WDH.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 12:35 PM   #198

Ranger... hadn't thought about that instead of an F150. Hmmm.... the Turbo 4cyl is rated 7500 with the tow package, so that fits. The torque on the Turbos is indeed impressive. How much does towing impact your MPG?

My Highlander's cargo rating is 1350lbs, but the towing is only 5000, so it is just a stop gap TV for now.

I really find the guy at Big Rock Media to have very informative content on towing calculations.

Old 06-18-2021, 02:02 PM   #199

Quote:

Hey gkris, we bought the 2021 Geo Pro G19FD and it tows just fine with our 4-cylinder Subaru Ascent "Premium" SUV. Our tongue weight (fully loaded, empty holding tanks) is always 335 lbs or less. Rockwood specs say it should be 418 lbs, but that's not what we get.

We cannot attach sway bars to the Subaru (damages the unibody frame) so you might have a little more tongue weight if you use sway bars on your vehicle. We opted for the 19FD over the slide-out models, so that probably helps tongue weight too. Also, we do not have bike racks attached on the front. (We do have two full propane tanks and two golf cart batteries.)

We don't do anything special to move weight off the tongue -- we just re-verify the tongue weight every time we go out with a Sherline LM 1000 scale. But you could always stash three or four 3-gallon bottles of drinking water in the bathroom for rear ballast. Those should travel nicely and might come in handy at your campsites anyway.

We have towed this rig up and down the steep mountains of New Mexico all the way to Austin, Texas and back to New Mexico, then out toward Oklahoma City and back with no problems at all. We stay at 60 mph or less, average 10.5 mpg, and the Subaru's "Vehicle Dynamics Control" takes care of any sway issues. We do "fishtail" briefly when big 18-wheelers blast past us at 80 mph, but we just hold the steering wheel still and the electronic VDC magic works.

I haven't hit the Certified CAT scales yet, so I don't know if our 335 tongue weight is hitting the safety target of 10% or better of the trailer weight or not. But the Geo Pro stays on the ball mount!

Retired data geek, experienced tent camper but relatively new to the trailer-towing world.
wlpendley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:43 PM   #200

Quote:
Ranger... hadn't thought about that instead of an F150. Hmmm.... the Turbo 4cyl is rated 7500 with the tow package, so that fits. The torque on the Turbos is indeed impressive. How much does towing impact your MPG?
I honestly don't pay attention to my towing mileage. I think I used about 3/4 of a tank pulling the trailer 250km earlier this week, but speed, wind, hills, etc will differ every trip so your mileage may vary. With the tow mode on the Ranger I'm barely using the brakes.
Kid Charlemagne is offline   Reply With Quote