Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-14-2021, 01:23 PM   #1

Geo Pro 20bhs. do i have to deteach my travel trailer for one night?

Hi,

I'm staying at utah country RV park for one night. Is it ok not to unhook my hitch and just let it attached? to sleep one night. Because in the morning I will be driving.

Please advise on what is needed. Can i just park my truck and trailer for one night stay without the mess of setting it down for one night? or is it better if I set it down? Please advise on how to do this. i'm complete new to this. Do I just lower the hitch and lower all 4 of the stabilizer? do I need to put block down? please advise.. I just don't want all this work because tommorrow morning I will be driving out. I get to the campsite around 6pm. so not much time to even setup. we just need to get ready to eat and sleep

thank you
Old 02-14-2021, 01:33 PM   #2
Scoundrel

Yes you can stay hooked up although it might not be very comfortable sleeping if you're not level. If you put the stabilizers down remember to raise them before leaving.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Hi,

I'm staying at utah country RV park for one night. Is it ok not to unhook my hitch and just let it attached? to sleep one night. Because in the morning I will be driving.

Please advise on what is needed. Can i just park my truck and trailer for one night stay without the mess of setting it down for one night? or is it better if I set it down? Please advise on how to do this. i'm complete new to this. Do I just lower the hitch and lower all 4 of the stabilizer? do I need to put block down? please advise.. I just don't want all this work because tommorrow morning I will be driving out. I get to the campsite around 6pm. so not much time to even setup. we just need to get ready to eat and sleep

thank you
I have a trailer smaller than yours, a toy hauler, that I sleep in. I stay 4-6 nights in a campsite and I never disconnect the trailer from the truck. Unless you park with it way out of level, I don’t know why it would be necessary for you to disconnect for one night.
Old 02-14-2021, 01:36 PM   #4
Site Team

No, you don't have to detach, though you may want to unplug the 7-pin cord. BUT make sure you plug it back in before leaving.
We've done it often.
You seem to have concerns about it, what are they?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:42 PM   #5

One night we had the small trailer, didn't get to the campground until 9:00 at night. It was pouring rain and "darker than the inside of a cow" as my Southern friend used to say. We each took a shot at backing the trailer in, up a steep hill. We could get it off the road, but not where we needed it to be for hookups.

DW said. "Let's go to bed and finish in the morning," and I agreed. The tow vehicle was in Park, with the parking brake set. Period. No other setup. No problem.
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:44 PM   #6

! night

I always like to put the tongue jack down to take the load off the truck suspension. Good idea to disconnect 7 plug to prevent chance of draining TV battery.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 01:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Hi,

thank you
When ever we have spent the night at a Walmart or similar place we never unhook. I lower the stabilizer jacks only because with the slide open i feel better. Most parking lots are fairly level. And I always try to park on the end so my slide is over dirt/grass. I don't disconnect the cable. Unless you have an electrical problem there is no issue there.

Have fun!
U.S.ArmyVeteran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:22 PM   #8

I've read elsewhere that you should unplug the 7 pin as electrical needs may draw down ones auto battery. I have no experience with this, but feel it's better to be safe than sorry. YMMV... My 2 cents and worth every penny.
wecoopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #9

If its level I don't unhitch for one night on long trip. I'll use the tongue jack to do some leveling. I don't bother with the stabilizer jacks. Can be a little bouncy inside but I'm really only there to sleep.

Once, to facilitate an early exit I but a couple blocks of wood under the trailer tires because it was too much out of level. I disconnect the 7 pin connector if I don't plug in. Stopped many times where all I did was plug in and adjust the tongue jack.

2016 APEX 215rbk
2016 F-150 4WD 3.55 3.5l ecoboost
jwfrede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 02:46 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecoopers View Post
I've read elsewhere that you should unplug the 7 pin as electrical needs may draw down ones auto battery. I have no experience with this, but feel it's better to be safe than sorry. YMMV... My 2 cents and worth every penny.
It will vary with your tow vehicle model, so you should get to know yours, rather than guess. On my two trucks that I tow with that have 7 pin trailer connectors, the 12 volt aux pin is only hot when the truck is “on”. So, I don’t bother to disconnect the trailer cord from the tow vehicle.
Old 02-14-2021, 02:48 PM   #11
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wecoopers View Post
This often depends on the make of the tow vehicle.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2021, 05:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Please advise on what is needed. Can i just park my truck and trailer for one night stay without the mess of setting it down for one night? or is it better if I set it down? Please advise on how to do this. i'm complete new to this. Do I just lower the hitch and lower all 4 of the stabilizer? do I need to put block down? please advise
When we were traveling with a tt similar to yours, we would not unhitch if the site was fairly level and the truck stayed within the site.
We'd chock the wheels in case the brakes failed (unlikely, but we were cautious). We'd disconnect the 7pin and then we'd plug in electric and water if we needed it. Unless it was extremely windy, we wouldn't put down stabilizers.

Now if the site isn't level and you can't easily level it with levelers under the wheels, you may have to unhitch or put up with walking up or down hill all night. Your main concern is keeping that refrigerator level, but if you shut it down for the night, you don't even have to worry about that.
Old 02-15-2021, 03:48 PM   #13
rfifer

When traveling on a multi-day trip, we stay at an RV park. I seldom unhook the trailer from my pickup, but I will put the tongue jack down to take a little stress off of the suspension. I'll disconnect the cable from the tow vehicle and plug in to a 30 amp post so the trailer has 120V power. We usually travel with the FW tank about half full, so that gives us water for flushing and washing dishes. In the morning, I unplug the power cable from the post, hook up the tow vehicle cable, lift the tongue jack, and we are on our way.
TV F-150
rfifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 11:18 AM   #14

Awsome!!

thank you all for the feedback..

So after reading all this. The campsite will be pretty level and flat. So I guess I just drive and unplug the 7 pin from the trailer and park and go to sleep. Lowering the 4 stabilizer will be a pain . I will just presss and hold down on the torgue to the ground with a block at the bottom just to get some weight off the truck.

thank you
this is what i needed. you learn while you camp..

So even for 2-3 days do you unhook the hitch? If for 2-3day do I just lower the 4 stabilizer and unplug 7 pin and lower the torgue? is that good enough or is it better if i unhook the hitch from the truck?
Old 02-16-2021, 11:51 AM   #15
RV There Yet?

your question is a little more complicated to answer. a lot depends on how level the site is, how level i want the camper to be, if we plan to take the truck and explore or just stay in the site/campground. there are times when i cannot stay connected due to how unlevel the site is front to back.

if you are staying a few days you will enjoy having the stabilizers down as it will be a lot less bouncy. the tongue jack will reduce the weight on the tow vehicle suspension.

order the adapter below and carry a battery powered drill with you. stabilizers will now take you less than 2 minutes to set up!

just a side note, some sites are not long enough for you to stay connected. your camper is short like mine, but i have been in some sites where i could barely get my 21 foot camper in and the truck sideways in front. it just was not possible to stay connected. when in doubt, contact the campground and ask how long the pad length is.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...63979536&psc=1
Old 02-16-2021, 12:05 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsleDog View Post
your question is a little more complicated to answer. a lot depends on how level the site is, how level i want the camper to be, if we plan to take the truck and explore or just stay in the site/campground. there are times when i cannot stay connected due to how unlevel the site is front to back.

if you are staying a few days you will enjoy having the stabilizers down as it will be a lot less bouncy. the tongue jack will reduce the weight on the tow vehicle suspension.

order the adapter below and carry a battery powered drill with you. stabilizers will now take you less than 2 minutes to set up!

just a side note, some sites are not long enough for you to stay connected. your camper is short like mine, but i have been in some sites where i could barely get my 21 foot camper in and the truck sideways in front. it just was not possible to stay connected. when in doubt, contact the campground and ask how long the pad length is.

https://www.amazon.com/Camco-Levelin...63979536&psc=1
Thank you this is what i needed. are all leveling scissor uses the same adapter? will make life ez!!

Thank you!!

Tags
geo pro, trailer, travel, travel trailer