Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-16-2021, 11:45 AM   #1

Geo Pro 20BHS off-roading modifications

Hey all! I have a 20BHS on order that will get here in the next couple of weeks. We're planning on taking it off road, mostly fireroad access, but I'm concerned about the harsh vibrations are going to wreak havoc on the trailer, despite the build quality.

What modifications have you guys done that help with off-roading in general? I'm considering the following, in order of importance, but I'd love to hear what some of you all have found helps.

1. larger tires - even with the offroad package, has anyone put on larger tires beyond the 15" that come with the off-road package? Larger tires = more volume = lower pressure and more small bump absorption.

2. Articulating hitch - I'm not planning on doing any serious off-roading, but I've heard a lot of people mention that this makes a difference even in mild off-roading.

3. Internal modifications - TBD here but carrying some loctite red for the inevitable screws that will vibrate out. What other internal mods should I consider for mild off-roading?

Let me know what you all have found that helps!

-Jake
utahbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 02:17 AM   #2

I would not bother with the Articulating hitch on the 20BHS, in my opinion the 20BHS should be no where near a trail that would require that. It is not much of an off-road travel trailer, more made for smoother trails.

Find a smooth easy trail and see how your tow vehicle handles pulling on dirt too before you get into something too crazy.

Good luck and have fun. It is an awesome trailer but it is no Black Series type trailer by any means....which means the interior is way more functional
awd.nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:16 AM   #3

Most of the problems you envision can be eliminated by adjusting your tow speed. I take my normal TT off maintained roads and have had no problems nor have any of my camping friends we go slow.
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Most of the problems you envision can be eliminated by adjusting your tow speed. I take my normal TT off maintained roads and have had no problems nor have any of my camping friends we go slow.
Exactly! Lowering speed in many cases will help with the vibrations, but depending on terrain, has the potential to create additional rocking too. It's important to understand basic off-roading technique with a trailer. Sounds like this might be a similar principal to driving a vehicle off road as well.

In general, I'm curious if anyone has found any off-road modifications to their trailer helpful. I listed a few in my op, but if anyone has any other suggestions, I'd love to hear that as well.
utahbiker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, geo pro, modifications