Old 03-26-2020, 01:42 PM   #1

Geo Pro 20BHS - Oven or No Oven

So we decided on the Geo Pro 20BHS. A quick question for my RV'ing friends. We were thinking of renting it out sometimes. Trying to decide whether to get it with the oven or no oven. Any thoughts? Anyone use an oven while RV'ing? Would you consider it a make or break feature for you?

Thanks!

davidmrawlins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 02:19 PM   #2
Site Team

We've been using the oven, in both our old and current trailers. We dry camp a lot and an oven is very necessary.

2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 08:46 PM   #3

Get the oven. lots of uses, we use ours frequently.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:54 PM   #4

We don't bake while camping.

I'd suggest one of the convection/microwave ovens so that people can bake and/or microwave.
Old Yesterday, 09:02 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I like the oven. I've made everything in it from pizza to chicken cordon bleu, to cookies and brownies. Since there are generally no time constraints on you when camping, it's fun doing stuff other than typical camp food.
Old Yesterday, 09:10 AM   #6
FLY4FUN

RE OVEN...

We've had with and without oven -- our current ("last"?) has an oven & we would not consider one without. I can imagine the possibilities of renters leaving it dirty...but, that said & FWIW, we definitely use the oven & wouldn't do without.
14apex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM   #7

convection micro

Camp ovens are not very good. Consider a convection microwave.
That's what we use, although we have an oven.
wnelsonfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:08 PM   #8
Trailer Park Supervisor

I have a suburban, works fine, BUT highly recommend getting a pizza stone that is the right size not to cover holes on oven floor (right above burner)and set it on that. You have to give oven extra time for temps to stabilize but it will work fine.
Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM   #9

If you’re renting it out I’d think about that one. Could cause quite a mess.
Max Tow (3:73, 11,700lbs), HD Payload (2440lbs)
2015 Puma 253 FBS
2000 Honda EX 400

Palinduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM   #10

I like having an oven for baking biscuits in the morning.
Old Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM   #11

We would go with the oven.

The bigger question is renting it out. There are a lot of ramifications to renting. Special insurance, added wear, possible repairs before a short turn-around, qualifying the renter, inspections before and after the return, cleaning, liability, and worry.

Look at it this way, would you loan your new camper to a friend? Would you loan it to a stranger? If the stranger question seems odd to ask, think about if the trailer is damaged when used by someone else. You may well be on the hook for repairs. Those repairs may well exceed the rental "income". Rarely will renters take care someone else's item like they would their own. Or maybe they do and don't take care of their own stuff either. And finally, would you want to sleep on a bed strangers have used- it has basically become a motel on wheels.

I think you will see a lot of people on this forum that would agree.
PenJoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

I would be one of them Joe. As a new RV'r I discovered there is quite a learning curve to properly operate stuff, and tow. I cringe at the idea of letting others practice their 'learning curve' on my baby!
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #13
Tundra 2014

Oven

The RV oven can be hard to light. They do make good storage in a small RV for cooking pots and pans. I would get the oven so it is available. We store our Instant Pot in ours as it does not fit in an other storage space. We have been looking at used 5 th. wheels and surprised by how many the oven was never used.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:21 PM   #14

Oven storage

The oven in our 2109S is so hard to light that we've only used it a couple times in 3 years. That said, you can use it like a cupboard. You might not want renters using it, though. Sounds risky.
Eldereaglewatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM   #15

Before signing for our then new 2018 Berkshire, we found that it didn't have an oven. The salesman said, "They don't put them in these days because so many women don't cook anymore." My DW said, what's it cost to take out the cabinet and put one in. Dealer said oven and labor would be about $1,000. DW said, "No oven, no deal." So, you can guess who won. Did the final walkthrough and the dealer said, "We've decided not to charge you for the oven!" That earned them the deal and two plates of my wife's best chocolate chip cookies. We got a top of the line Furion propane oven because my wife loves to cook so much. Even makes our bread on the road when we're stopped for more than a day or two....Get an oven!
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #16

To oven or not to oven?

If you donít order it with, you will wish you had, somewhere down the road. If you order it with, you may never use it and wonder why you added it.
We very rarely use our oven. Use the BBQ for just about everything and the microwave / convention for everything else. However, the oven is there if and when we want. In the meantime, it makes a great breadbox!

I donít honestly like the idea of renting my rigs out. Too many people that have no / little experience with towing, systems, set up etc. If somebody rents it, breaks something and returns it Friday night and the next renter is picking it up Saturday, that leaves you in a bit of a bind. Not to mention there are lots of rental outfits around that have multiple units to fall back on. FWIW!
dnicoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:41 AM   #17

30 years of camping used an oven a handful of times. If we full timed maybe would use it more. If no oven means more storage, I go for more storage in a trailer that size. If I thought about renting, which no way I ever would, Iíd still get what I want. I donít think renters would be too concerned about an oven. Most would have no idea how to light it.
Old Today, 06:44 AM   #18

I think I’m with the majority here. Get the oven. If you rarely use it, no big deal. But if you don’t get it, you’ll probably regret it.

There is no way I would rent out my camper! Any money you make would probably be eaten up in repairs because of abuse from others.
Old Today, 11:15 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

When not in use, mine is stuffed with cooking implements like frying pans, the pizza stone, folding pizza peel, etc. So best of both worlds, some storage space when not in use, and an ez bake oven when I need it!

Tags
geo pro