Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2021, 08:41 PM   #1

Geo Pro 20bhs replacing the thermostats?

Hi,

Anyone replaces this thermostats before? Attached is the picture of the default one. Anyone know if we can replace it with a better one with auto control? or it'll eat up too much battery?

If anyone replace it before please let me know what model you purchase and is it easy to replace.

Pro and Con ?

thank you
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210304_011001609.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	305.4 KB
ID:	248818  
Old 03-03-2021, 08:47 PM   #2
Site Team

Most replace these cheap analog thermostats with digital ones.
But yours appears to only control the furnace.
If your a/c has its own separate control, then just stick with this thermostat.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 08:55 PM   #3

I must respectfully disagree.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QW2WXRS

You can also get this thermostat in a horizontal model that is a few dollars cheaper. It has it's own AA batteries, will not run down your trailer batteries. What I found with that original mechanical thermostat was that my furnace was cycling too often on and off during cold weather/at night. The digital thermostat above has a programmable range. I set it at 3 degrees. If the thermostat is set at 68 degrees, the furnace comes on at 65 and off at 69. The range is comfortable enough to me and keeps the furnace from cycling on and off. The standard thermostat will have a non-adjustable range of +/- 1 degree.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2021, 09:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Most replace these cheap analog thermostats with digital ones.
But yours appears to only control the furnace.
If your a/c has its own separate control, then just stick with this thermostat.
yeah. my AC is control by the AC on top of the trailer. So you saying just stick with this one.

Should I get a portable temperature reader and attach it inside my trialer? is that how you tell the temperature? because right now I cannot tell what is the degree in the trailer.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post

You can also get this thermostat in a horizontal model that is a few dollars cheaper. It has it's own AA batteries, will not run down your trailer batteries. What I found with that original mechanical thermostat was that my furnace was cycling too often on and off during cold weather/at night. The digital thermostat above has a programmable range. I set it at 3 degrees. If the thermostat is set at 68 degrees, the furnace comes on at 65 and off at 69. The range is comfortable enough to me and keeps the furnace from cycling on and off. The standard thermostat will have a non-adjustable range of +/- 1 degree.
Thank you for the suggestion. I want to get one that have current temperature reading..
Old 03-03-2021, 09:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by aboyz View Post
Thank you for the suggestion. I want to get one that have current temperature reading..
Well, your current thermostat has a current temperature reading, it is the indicator on the lower scale. I have not even taken delivery of my new Vintage Cruiser by Gulf Stream trailer yet, though, but I've got the new digital thermostat sitting here in my living room when I do get it, and it will be the upgrade I do the same day it is in my driveway. I just hated that old fashioned, cheap lever thermostat.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:42 PM   #7

Here is the horizontal version of the same digital thermostat:
https://www.amazon.com/ICM-Controls-.../dp/B00C6Q0AYM
Old 03-04-2021, 12:53 AM   #8

Quote:
Here is the horizontal version of the same digital thermostat:
https://www.amazon.com/ICM-Controls-.../dp/B00C6Q0AYM

This is compitable with the one I got on my trailer? I just take the old one out and put in this new one? easy as that?
Old 03-04-2021, 02:50 AM   #9

Quote:
This is compitable with the one I got on my trailer? I just take the old one out and put in this new one? easy as that?
Yep.
Old 03-04-2021, 08:13 AM   #10

Any basic heat only digital thermostat made by Honeywell will do the job just fine.
Home Depot, Lowes, Amazon.
Digital control makes a big difference.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 09:57 AM   #11

I installed this heat only one on a previous camper.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...s%2C198&sr=8-5
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 11:57 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiscampsin View Post
I installed this heat only one on a previous camper.

https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-TH1...s%2C198&sr=8-5
This one looks good. so i just open up my old one and replace this with the new one? two wire hook up correct? I do need to disconnect the battery before doing this?
Old 03-04-2021, 04:43 PM   #13

Anticipator

Quote:

That's very strange. Every analog thermostat I've ever seen has adjustable hysteresis. First you take the cover off the thermostat. Then you take the thermostat off the wall. On the back side of the thermostat, against the wall is the "anticipator" adjustment, a little rheostat that lets you adjust the gap between "start" and "stop". Suburban recommends a setting of 0.8 as an initial setting. I usually use that and have not seen continuous short cycles.

I don't have much use for "digital thermostats." Something else to lose its programming or not be available at midnight due to dead batteries. An analog thermostat does not draw down the trailer batteries either, since it draws no current at all when set to "off".
"Always bypass the water heater before opening the low-point drains."
Sticks and Bricks: Raleigh, NC
2008 Cherokee 38P: at Ivor, VA permanently
Larry-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:24 PM   #14

Quote:
This one looks good. so i just open up my old one and replace this with the new one? two wire hook up correct? I do need to disconnect the battery before doing this?
Link to video of somebody who installed it in a camper:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...%26FORM%3DVDRE
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 05:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry-NC View Post
That's very strange. Every analog thermostat I've ever seen has adjustable hysteresis. First you take the cover off the thermostat. Then you take the thermostat off the wall. On the back side of the thermostat, against the wall is the "anticipator" adjustment, a little rheostat that lets you adjust the gap between "start" and "stop". Suburban recommends a setting of 0.8 as an initial setting. I usually use that and have not seen continuous short cycles.
Thank you for that information! I'll look for that adjustment screw when (if?) my new trailer arrives when I have it off to replace it with the digital
Old 03-05-2021, 12:42 AM   #16

In previous TT I got rid of the mechanical thermostat as it was so inaccurate and if I remember was like 6 degrees off. Replaced with a digital Hunter non programable that Walmart had for around $16.00 a few years ago. The previous mechanical wall unit controlled both heating and A/C. Issue with the A/C is that Hunter only controlled 1 fan speed. I published on how to add a high and low fan switch that you adjust on the printed circuit board. It looked very nice. Simple that anyone who can solder can do. It worked perfectly, always showed the indoor temperature and used two AA that worked all season. If you have a 2 speed fan unit and interested, PM me.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:22 AM   #17

I put a Honeywell in my E-Pro, very simple install... This is one of the cheaper items that Forest River needs to fix/improve..
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, thermostat