Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2020, 03:32 PM   #1

Geo Pro

Hello. My wife and i will be purchasing a new 19fd. Would love to hear from owners. This is our first camper and we will be towing with a 2014 VW Toureg. Looking forward to new adventures.
bobnsharon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:23 PM   #2

Curious, what's the towing rating for your vehicle?
Brake Controller: Curt Echo
PDuB-IA2MI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:42 PM   #3

Hello. My towing capacity is 7700 lbs but i will still have to watch the payload capacity.
Old 11-15-2020, 12:23 PM   #4

We love our G19FD!

We purchased a 2019 G19FD in February 2020, just before Covid shut everything down for camping. I spent the time I wasn't camping going thru everything at the side of my house where I park it. It is my opinion the G19 has everything you want, we couldn't be happier. One thing I learned that has been valuable is when you turn on your propane tanks start the burners on your stove top to purge the air out of the gas lines. When you do this the water heater, and furnace ignite very quickly. I believe there is a safety feature that disables them after 3 attempts to lite, when you purge the line you don't need to worry about it. Since it was our first travel trailer I made a check list of things to do before hooking up to our truck and departing. If you are a veteran at towing you probably don't need to do this. I put an Anderson weight distribution anti sway hitch on my F150 for they anti sway feature and am very happy. The solar panel does a great job during the summer keeping the batteries charged and never experienced any issues. 2 weeks ago with the time change, more time at night in the trailer, lights on, DVD playing we drained the battery to where the furnace would not lite(we have 2 deep cycle batteries). It wasn't a big deal, I just learned that on our next trip, after Thanksgiving, I will run a generator for a while at night and make sure everything is fully charged. I was also parked in a semi sunny spot which probably made a difference vs the full sun of the summer. I believe you have a 200 watt solar panel vs my 100 watt which will charge things quicker.
Have a great time!
Chewman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 12:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewman View Post
... It wasn't a big deal, I just learned that on our next trip, after Thanksgiving, I will run a generator for a while at night and make sure everything is fully charged. ...
You may find that's not allowed. Most campgrounds have restrictions on when you can run a generator. Even if not, your fellow campers won't appreciate your doing that at night. The noise carries, even with a quiet inverter generator.
Old 11-15-2020, 01:15 PM   #6

Thanks everyone...yes we have a 190 watt solar panel. This being our first trailer, i know we have a lot to learn. Don't know much about solar but i will learn. Just looking forward to our first trip after we get it.
Old 11-15-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Solar is FANTASTIC!

Photons in = DC electricity out (AKA electrons).

This electricity is routed to your charge controller which then supplies a DC charging current to your batteries.

Your batteries, which are purely DC devices, can then be tapped to power DC things such as your lights, fans, etc. (within limits).

If one of your etc. things is an inverter then that inverter will take DC and make AC so you can power AC things (within limits).

Caveat Emptor: If your things want more power then you can feed them they will not be happy and they will make you spend more money on other things like more solar panels, bigger batteries and bigger inverters.

If you dare to know more just ask! Retired Engineer (insert humble nod here).
WanderMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:19 AM   #8

I have owned my epro 19fd for over 1 year. I pull it with a Chevy Colorado 4 cylinder diesel and it feels like I'm pulling a jet ski trailer instead of a 3800 lb. camper. I really like my epro. Goes with me to the mountains and I drive quite a bit on gravel roads. I'm not sure why the factory never installed a shower surround but I easily fixed this by installing poly panels to 3 sides. (Cost $48) Attached the panels to the walls with 3M double sided foam tape and plastic rivets. Looks better than the factory cheapy installed surrounds found in most rv's. I like the fact it has no slide. One less thing to leak and malfunction. The 12 volt TV is a plus. Very rarely use my 48 lb. 2500 watt inverter generator. I did install a soft start on my 13500 BTU A/C and I can now run my A/C and microwave with the portable generator. Mine didn't come with a power tongue jack but it was easy installing a Bulldog 3500 lb. jack. It fits perfect under the Jack It bike rack. This is a great trailer and it didn't cost a fortune. I'd buy it again.
Weekend Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #9

Wow. Thanks for your review. I am glad you like it. We cant wait for spring, we are atilk waitibg to get it. Its been a long wait
Old 12-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #10

Get a softstart for the Coleman mach 8 A/C. Worth every penny. It took me 20 minutes to install. Just 4 wires to hook up, then you get youself a 2200 watt inverter generator and run your A/C. and microwave (won't run both at the same time). I don't even bother with camp ground hassles and their ever increasing hookup costs. I just boondock and yes you can fill your fresh water tanks and travel full. The tank is well strapped to the frame to handle the 240 lbs. I also bought 3 collapsable 5 gallon jugs and use a funnel to top off my fresh water.
Weekend Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2021, 08:54 AM   #11

Here is a detailed write-up... Unfortunately the forum does not have a single section for the GEO-Pro and E-Pro...
https://www.forestriverforums.com/fo...ip-219416.html

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 01:33 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

bobnsharon, just be aware that the tongue weight on these single axle units is very heavy, over the 500 lb limit for most SUV's. Also, I remember researching tow vehicles, and I think it was the Atlas that said you can't use a WDH. Not sure if that holds true across VW line.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:34 AM   #13

2014 VW Toureg has a tongue weight of 750 lbs, towing capacity of 7500lbs and payload of 1287lbs. It seems a good fit for Geo Pro 19FD. I did see WDH was not recommended. Some manufacturers do not recommend as owners may not set-up correctly. I strongly recommend having a dealer set it up until you have an understanding how to measure and setup with some wisdom later on.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:23 AM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

I thought that VW prohibition on WDH had something to do with the frame not being able to handle the forces exerted by WDH, been awhile since I researched it.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:30 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I thought that VW prohibition on WDH had something to do with the frame not being able to handle the forces exerted by WDH, been awhile since I researched it.
You may be absolutely right!
I didn't look to far into it.
I know it requires some experience to set up a WDH or it could cause damage to tow vehicle or safety on the road.
Old 01-11-2021, 09:40 AM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

I set mine up with no experience at all other than reading posts on this forum, and studying the manual that came with WDH. And I mean studied it. I read it cover to cover a couple times before I even tried putting it together. Measured twice. Used torque wrenches. You're right Charby, it's scary thinking of the average Joe installing and using it correctly!
Old 01-13-2021, 11:38 PM   #17

Hello everyone and thanks for the valuabke insights. Yes the toureg tows 7700# so i am good there. I should be fine with tongue weight akso as the fd is at 390#. The payload capacity is my concern and i know i have to be mindful of that. Any more info would be appreciated.
Old 01-13-2021, 11:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnsharon View Post
Hello everyone and thanks for the valuabke insights. Yes the toureg tows 7700# so i am good there. I should be fine with tongue weight akso as the fd is at 390#. The payload capacity is my concern and i know i have to be mindful of that. Any more info would be appreciated.
The fictional dry tongue weight, for the 19FD, is 418lbs. That's without the weights of batteries, propane, options, water and trailer cargo.

https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...pro/G19FD/3574

What's the max hitch weight for the Toureg?
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2021, 11:57 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

bikendan was the first person to alert me to to the potentially high tongue weight of these single axle units. Luckily, it was before I settled on a tow vehicle. I was in the market for a mid sized SUV at the time, and discovered every mid sized SUV would be a problem as they all had tongue weight limits of 500 lbs. Those who had weighed their tongue on the 19FD were getting at least 600lbs on the tongue, even higher with bicycles on rack and stuff in trailer.
Old 02-06-2021, 03:01 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Wonder View Post
Get a softstart for the Coleman mach 8 A/C. Worth every penny. It took me 20 minutes to install. Just 4 wires to hook up, then you get youself a 2200 watt inverter generator and run your A/C. and microwave (won't run both at the same time). I don't even bother with camp ground hassles and their ever increasing hookup costs. I just boondock and yes you can fill your fresh water tanks and travel full. The tank is well strapped to the frame to handle the 240 lbs. I also bought 3 collapsable 5 gallon jugs and use a funnel to top off my fresh water.
Can you provide the make/model # of the soft start you used?
sharkbait73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro