Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-24-2020, 11:01 PM   #1

Geo Pro antifreeze inlet mystery..

Anyone have any experience using the antifreeze inlet on the side of the Geo Pros near the city water hookup? I've done the following
- Emptied all tanks,l ow point drains and water heater.
- Engaged the water heater bypass'
- At the water pump engaged the fresh water tank bypass so pump pulls from antifreeze inlet only.
- Hooked up short hose to antifreeze inlet, dropped other end in a jug of antifreeze.
- Turned on water pump..... and nothing.. No antifreeze is being drawn from the inlet through the pump. Pump is running but seems to not be drawing enough suction at the inlet to pull antifreeze.

Anyone have any ideas what I'm missing?
BeauBarkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:04 PM   #2

Do you have a faucet open?
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2020, 11:46 PM   #3

I have tried with faucets open and closed.
Old 11-25-2020, 01:03 AM   #4
Site Team

Try pouring some AF into the hose first. Also try holding the jug up a little higher than the inlet. Might help to get it started.
Iwritecode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:36 AM   #5

I believe it’s a gravity feed. There’s no “draw” on the “short” line to suck the af in. You need to just dump it in the inlet. It’s like the “fresh water” gravity connection.
SEMPERFI8387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 06:03 AM   #6

Doing exactly what you have done it should draw antifreeze. Weird, try cycling the pump bypass valve while it's running........ No idea sounds like your doing everything right. There's no chance the antifreeze inlet is blocked with something right?
dndhurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:08 AM   #7

There’s also the possibility that maybe you just connected to the tank flush or city water connection by mistake.

Bruce
Old 11-25-2020, 08:34 AM   #8

Sounds like you're doing everything right.. The suction from the pump should be drawing water up from the anti freeze jug just like it would from your fresh water tank...I assume your fresh water tank/pump has worked in the past? If so, a few things to check.

- In order for this to work, all the connections leading from the pump to the hose that you use to put in the anti freeze in have to be air tight. I would check all the hose clamps leading from the anti freeze port to the pump and the connection to the outside port as well... If yours is like most it has a threaded female end just like your city water connection. Make sure that connection to the hose end is tight and you should have a rubber washer in there to make a good tight seal against the male hose end. If you don't see a washer in there you can pick one up from any hardware store.

- Check to see if the valve that cuts the water off from being drawn from the camper fresh water tank is in the correct position. Try it in both positions to be sure that's not the issue.

- If all else fails it's time to check the pump.. To do this remove the hose and clamp on the inlet side of the pump. Get another length of hose and put that directly on the inlet side of the pump and stick the other side into your anti freeze jug. If that works, it's not the pump and you have double check all your connections between the pump and hose/anti freeze port.

-If that doesn't work it's time to check the pump... Not sure which pump you have. Some have screens which sometimes get clogged so check that first. Next will be the pump itself. Most have diaphragms which pulse in and out to create suction and they sell diaphragms kits which are easy to replace or the diaphragms themselves could have some debris in them.

Good luck and do not fear. It's probably something very simple.
Curt Trutrack WDH
HD Roadmaster Active Suspension
3200 Firman Generator/Inverter
njfishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:04 AM   #9

Did you switch the pump valve to draw from the antifreeze bottle than the water tank? There has to be some type of manual change of a valve.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 10:15 AM   #10

I will try all these recommendations. Thanks for all the great input!
Old 11-25-2020, 11:13 AM   #11

I had similar issue...held tube up and poured a bit in to prime the pump and held bottle up high until all the air was out of the tube. After that it was able to suck it up from the bottle on the ground (and it didn't lose prime when switching bottles)
Kcoulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:08 PM   #12
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
- At the water pump engaged the fresh water tank bypass so pump pulls from antifreeze inlet only.
What is this? I don't know what model GeoPro you have, but I'm unaware such a valve exists. I only know about the valve on the line coming from fresh water tank beneath trailer you open to feed from anit-freeze bottle, to bypass sucking from fresh water tank.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
What is this? I don't know what model GeoPro you have, but I'm unaware such a valve exists. I only know about the valve on the line coming from fresh water tank beneath trailer you open to feed from anit-freeze bottle, to bypass sucking from fresh water tank.
That is the valve we are referring to.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:37 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Ok, didn't know that valve was inside by the water pump on some models. It's closer to fresh water tank than pump on mine, and beneath trailer. As far as that valve goes, you can actually feel the suction on your fingertip on the valve port when it is open and pump is on.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 12:47 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I have a 2021 16bh and there is an antifreeze inlet connection on the side of the trailer on the same panel as the city water connection, tank flush and cable connection. It is a female threaded hose connector and connects directly to the water pump. The fresh water tank bypass valve is at a junction where this antifreeze inlet hose intersects the fresh water hose near the pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4797.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	243634  
Old 11-25-2020, 12:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
That is the valve we are referring to.
I have a 2021 16bh and there is an antifreeze inlet connection on the side of the trailer on the same panel as the city water connection, tank flush and cable connection. It is a female threaded hose connector and connects directly to the water pump.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4797.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	243633  
Old 11-25-2020, 12:57 PM   #17

Had the same problem on a different model. I had a 90 elbow in the antifreeze outlet and then hooked the hose to the elbow, would not draw thru pump. I removed the elbow and hooked hose directly to the inlet and worked. Not sure if you are using an L but if you are maybe a solution
Old 11-25-2020, 01:22 PM   #18

I think CedarCreekWoody hit on it.
In my 2021 E-Pro 19FD there's a valve inside on the water pump inlet that switches between drawing from the freshwater tank and the antifreeze inlet. Once I switched that, the pump drew from my a/f jug just fine.
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro E19FD - our 4th camper
It's not just a life - it's an adventure!
Attila the Pun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:24 PM   #19
Pickin', Campin', Mason

As has been mentioned, it sounds as if you have the procedure right so try the recommendations, especially the one about pouring a little antifreeze in the hose so there is some in that short line.

One other thing... and you'll find this if you try to pour some antifreeze into that line... there have been a couple reports where the short hose (supplied) had a cap on the end that people missed seeing. They put the hose (with the cap still on) into the jug and it wouldn't suck. Once they found the cap (and removed)... viola!

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=86
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 01:41 PM   #20

You have done everything required. You are sucking air where the dip tube hose slips on the valve nipple. Tighten a hose clamp there really tight and it will then pull the liquid up
douglas c box is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze, geo pro