Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2019, 12:13 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Update: I did replace the cruddy 3" Furrion outdoor speaker with the Fusion mentioned above...Held speaker surface mount spacer against outer wall where I wanted it, lined up so wires on new speaker would go through hole in wall and not bunch up behind speaker preventing it from lying flat.
Kris, is that the Fusion RV-FS402 Sound-Panel? Thing is huge...18" x 8". Nice that it's fairly shallow tho. The IP65 rating should be adequate since it shouldn't be taking jets of water head-on. Assume you had to buy the 41mm spacer?? Wish it could be angled downward a bit.

Is the speaker wire hole small...just enough for the wire? I would assume this, but you never know. And did you put sealant over the speaker wire hole?

It's surprising how few choices there are for waterproof surface-mount low-profile speakers.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:12 PM   #22
Trailer Park Supervisor

JP, although it sounds big according to dimensions, it is not ridiculous. It is a fraction of the size of the window above the dinette, which is directly below it. I'll post pics when I get trailer back. You will need the spacer, they make several sizes depending if you want flush mount (no spacer), partially recessed, or surface mount, the 41mm sounds about right. I suppose if you were nuts and had nothing better to do, you could build another angled spacer out of wood or one of those cool printers, I am not that ambitious. That would enable you to angle it down. But at the typical volume you would play it at around others, for background music, I'd say not necessary. And if you want to blast it, like I do at home working in driveway, angle doesn't matter. The speaker wire hole is maybe the size of a nickel on mine, was no problem pulling wires through. I didn't bother sealing the hole, at it was not sealed before, and the entire perimeter of speaker and spacer is sealed with marine sealant, 4200 I believe is what I used.

The speaker itself has to be that large to accommodate the bass speaker, and both L and R channel speakers. Since my old speaker was half way down length of trailer, I couldn't easily just install a 2nd speaker. This solved the problem of being able to hear both L and R channels outside, as the gods of stereo intended!
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
stereo