Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #1
Open Space Wanted

Geo Pro G16BH Real World Tongue Weight

Looking at the 2021 G16BH and wanted to know how much of the 461 lb. hitch weight spec. would increase by when carrying two full 20 lb. gas tanks, battery and 31 gal. of fresh water. I'm sure this isn't all going to the tongue weight.

My 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 HEMI 4x4 with factory tow package is rated for 7,200 lbs., but the more important numbers are 720 lbs. tongue and 1,050 lbs. of combined occupant/cargo weight on the Jeep.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 09:46 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRoverComeOver View Post
Looking at the 2021 G16BH and wanted to know how much of the 461 lb. hitch weight spec. would increase by when carrying two full 20 lb. gas tanks, battery and 31 gal. of fresh water. I'm sure this isn't all going to the tongue weight.

My 2018 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 HEMI 4x4 with factory tow package is rated for 7,200 lbs., but the more important numbers are 720 lbs. tongue and 1,050 lbs. of combined occupant/cargo weight on the Jeep.
Full propane tanks weights have been included in the dry tongue weight numbers for at least the past 5 years. Should state that on the website or brochure.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 09:58 AM   #3
Open Space Wanted

How about water weight? How much does that affect tongue weight?
Old 04-29-2021, 10:38 AM   #4
Always Learning

Quote:

Run your numbers through this tool:

Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - TowingPlanner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
Full propane tanks weights have been included in the dry tongue weight numbers for at least the past 5 years. Should state that on the website or brochure.
As far as I can ascertain, it's hit or miss. I seem to recall quite a few where the propane tanks themselves are included but not with propane in them.
Old 04-29-2021, 02:37 PM   #5

Quote:
How about water weight? How much does that affect tongue weight?
By and large (a generalization), the freshwater tank is located very close to the center of the axle(s). So the axle(s) carry the weight with little or no change to tongue weight.

This makes sense for several reasons, not the least of which is weight and balance calculations for safety. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon, so if the manufacturer were to locate a 30 gallon fresh tank in front of or behind the axle(s) center, that 250# of water could really upset the balance of the trailer. Were the water to be forward, it would possibly overload the hitch. Were the water to be behind the axle(s), it would create a dangerous situation where the tongue weight could be reduced so much that the trailer would become an evil handling monster.

Crawl under your rig...or the rig you're considering on the dealer lot...and see where the fresh tank is located. It's likely to be balanced on the center of the axle(s).

An exception: Once you get into really big rigs, water weight becomes a MUCH smaller percentage of the rig's overall weight. There is some flexibility on where the fresh tank can be located. But still, putting a 100 gallon fresh tank under a king bed in the bedroom on a fiver could still add over 800# of additional weight on the pin box, fifth wheel, and rear axle of the TV. That 800# would be a substantial percentage of the 2500 to 4000 pounds that should be on the "tongue" of that fiver.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 05:01 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
By and large (a generalization), the freshwater tank is located very close to the center of the axle(s). So the axle(s) carry the weight with little or no change to tongue weight.

This makes sense for several reasons, not the least of which is weight and balance calculations for safety. Water weighs 8.3 pounds per gallon, so if the manufacturer were to locate a 30 gallon fresh tank in front of or behind the axle(s) center, that 250# of water could really upset the balance of the trailer. Were the water to be forward, it would possibly overload the hitch. Were the water to be behind the axle(s), it would create a dangerous situation where the tongue weight could be reduced so much that the trailer would become an evil handling monster.

Crawl under your rig...or the rig you're considering on the dealer lot...and see where the fresh tank is located. It's likely to be balanced on the center of the axle(s).

An exception: Once you get into really big rigs, water weight becomes a MUCH smaller percentage of the rig's overall weight. There is some flexibility on where the fresh tank can be located. But still, putting a 100 gallon fresh tank under a king bed in the bedroom on a fiver could still add over 800# of additional weight on the pin box, fifth wheel, and rear axle of the TV. That 800# would be a substantial percentage of the 2500 to 4000 pounds that should be on the "tongue" of that fiver.
My last 27' TT had the water tank located a foot inside of the back bumper under the bed. It was an evil handling monster when filled and two bikes were on the back hitch. Could haul bikes only if the water tank was empty.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:04 PM   #7
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Run your numbers through this tool:

Estimating Tongue/Pin Weight from Dry Weights - TowingPlanner

As far as I can ascertain, it's hit or miss. I seem to recall quite a few where the propane tanks themselves are included but not with propane in them.

Calculators are helpful although it was a little under my manual calculation. Guess the only real way to measure is a scale.
Old 04-29-2021, 07:07 PM   #8
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post

Appreciate the additional good information and most useful in doing the math before buying.

I reached out to the manufacturer and told only the empty LP tanks weight are added to the hitch weight. The batteries aren't included in the hitch weight. Also told the fresh water tank was in front of the axle but no further information.
Old 04-30-2021, 12:41 PM   #9
Always Learning

Quote:
Calculators are helpful although it was a little under my manual calculation. Guess the only real way to measure is a scale.
Yep, the only real way is going to a scale and getting measurements. It's more intimidating than hard:

https://learntorv.com/weigh-rv/

Quote:
I reached out to the manufacturer and told only the empty LP tanks weight are added to the hitch weight. The batteries aren't included in the hitch weight. Also told the fresh water tank was in front of the axle but no further information.
Thanks for sharing what the manufacturer said. That's not the first time I've heard the tanks but not the propane are included in the dry weights.
Old 05-01-2021, 11:23 AM   #10

Tongue Weight

The sticker on my G19FD states the CCC is with fresh water tanks full and waste water tanks empty. I use the following to weigh the tongue of my trailer and believe it is accurate. Hope this helps!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tongue Weight.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	253298  
Old 05-01-2021, 12:10 PM   #11

This page:
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...ckwood-geo-pro

Under specifications definitions states that unloaded vehicle weight stated includes LP Gas.
NavyLCDR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, tongue weight, weight