Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #1
Open Space Wanted

Geo Pro G16BH Shakedown

I'll add more later but wanted to give some insight into my experience with the new RV. This is day 18 of ownership and can say it was a stressful experience and felt much better during the maiden voyage. I was a tent camper and first time RV owner. Going from cooking with Esbit tablets and camp fires (no coolers) to LP is definitely glamping.

I got a wild hair late April and started some major research. Based on my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk V8 rated tow capacity of 7,200 lb./720 lb. tongue weight, RV storage availability, someone wanting bunk beds and finally showing limited options for family input, I chose the G16BH. Finding an available unit was the hardest part. I looked at some Mini Lites locally since they were as close as I'd get at seeing similar models but the ordering wait of 4-6 months, if lucky, wasn't cutting it. Lucked out about 1,200 mi. away and picked it up.

Installed a CURT Assure brake controller and paired it with a Fastway e2 10,000 lb. WDH. The Jeep manual recommended a WDH when towing above 5,000 lb. but got one anyway. I couldn't really tell I had the RV behind me after I got used to the flying pig (5,500 lb. Jeep) hauling a load behind it and having that dragging feeling. Glancing at the rear-view mirror and thinking a semi was on my rear spooked me the first couple of times.

I stayed the night through thunderstorms and more on my trip back. Had some flooded areas where detours were in order and a couple of tornado warnings on the way out. I was testing and pushing the setup, and easily did 75 (max RV tire rating) with no swaying or trucks throwing me around. Full confidence. I used adaptive cruise control set to 73 which was quite boring since I like spirited driving but respected the 75 limitation; I almost never use cruise control. Tire heat/pressure were within spec. when the rain broke and sun/heat came on. Mountains weren't an issue as the HEMI started purring along at higher revs. and when I could actually pass the trucks/cars at that speed.

Took the RV on it's maiden trip 8 days after getting it home and went pretty good. The entire trip was overcast with rain on/off and high in the low 50s and lows in the low 40s. It was dry camping but solar panels never reached 100% and having tree cover didn't help. Need some family training on water usage. Gray water was 2/3 full in less than 24 hrs. and had to restrict usage when it lit F. Black was still showing E and fresh was 1/3. Most of that waste was from washing dishes and paper/plastic is going to be the norm for the following trip next week.

Learned some things and only minor tweaks needed. I really have to crack open the manuals since I haven't had the time. Guess I was spent reading everything I could on RVing and RVs. Think I had a deal on 4/30 but couldn't pick up until a couple of weeks later.

Looking forward to further adventures.
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 10:22 PM   #2
Open Space Wanted

The best MPG I've ever seen using 89 octane was just under 22 and typically 19-20 on the highway. My "normal" mixed driving is around 16-18 although I have dips down to 14 when having fun and 17 on highway. Towing took me down from 9.9 - 11.2.

Braking hasn't been an issue even in bad weather although I haven't intentionally tested hard braking. The adaptive cruise did surprisingly well handling speed when cars decided to unexpectedly move into my travel lane.

The brake controller guide gave starting settings and said to test at lower speeds. Found I didn't have to adjust and been plug and play for the last 1,500 mi. Didn't know what to expect and thought I'd have to babysit the controller...glad I haven't had to.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:00 PM   #3
Open Space Wanted

Updated Pics Too

Got back from a ~180 mi. (one way) trip yesterday and on the way there mileage went down to 9.1 MPG. Guess the 6% grades up to ~2,800 ft. had something to do with it. The Grand Cherokee kept it's cool while maintaining 73 MPH cruise speed. At times the revs got higher but eventually went back down to a "normal" growl.

Also the first time using a new 200W suitcase solar panel but the clouds have been following me all season; didn't help we were under heavier tree cover as well. The patches of sun that sporadically popped up didn't help with placing the panel while at camp. A ranger stopped by after seeing my solar setup and asked questions about it. He also complimented me for not making any generator noise and not having to smell fumes like other RV campers.

It was nice not needing to break out any fans with highs in the low 80s/upper 70s and lows in the low 60s.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:25 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Good review. Get off the gas a little, will score you an extra mile or 2 per gallon. Doesn't sound like much, but adds up to an extra 50 miles on a tank of gas. I typically get 11-12 mpg, V8. If my 6 speed goes down into 3rd trying to keep up on cruise, I knock speed down on cruise rather than waste all that fuel. I'm usually an aggressive driver, but restrain myself while towing. I'll bump it back up when going downhill or not climbing steep hills.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2021, 09:33 AM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

Still makes me smile!
Old 07-27-2021, 11:10 PM   #6
Open Space Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Good review. Get off the gas a little, will score you an extra mile or 2 per gallon. Doesn't sound like much, but adds up to an extra 50 miles on a tank of gas. I typically get 11-12 mpg, V8. If my 6 speed goes down into 3rd trying to keep up on cruise, I knock speed down on cruise rather than waste all that fuel. I'm usually an aggressive driver, but restrain myself while towing. I'll bump it back up when going downhill or not climbing steep hills.

Got a late start and was trying to beat nightfall but didn't quite make it. Don't like getting to a site in the dark and relying on my co-pilot and hoping she lights up the area I'm trying to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Still makes me smile!

So that's what comes to your mind when you see my posts?
Old 07-28-2021, 01:29 PM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

I always here him saying, "Red Rover, Red Rover, let Ray go on over!"

Tags
geo pro