Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2020, 11:00 PM   #1
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro FD

Geo pro roof deck

Hi Everyone - New to this forum but i would like to know if anyone has ever drilled or cut into their roof or know how it is designed? My Geo 19FD came with solar and i want to add more panels.
C-los is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:58 PM   #2

I used the renogy flexible panels that just glue down and eternabond tape the edges on my rpod. No screws required. The windy Nation panels say not to glue them down.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 11:46 AM   #3

You have a rubber (EDPM?) roofing material bonded to a luan subroofing. Climb up there and look through the skylight over the shower, you should be able to see the layers. I would not simply glue (lap sealant, 3M foam tape, or otherwise) solar panels onto this, as it would most likely cause eventual failure of the roof material due to the additional wind drag on the panels lifting the roofing material off the luan. I'm adding additional panels to mine, I'll be using well nuts to secure them through the factory holes in the Renogy panels. I may also carefully add a couple more holes in the panels for better securement. Ideally I'd like to be able to run some screws into the aluminum frame, however I haven't been able to find a diagram to show their location, and a stud-finder doesn't work.
Dupesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 01:40 PM   #4
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro FD

Thanks for that, i have been talking to Rockwood and i have found out the same info so i did find a video online of a factory Geo Pro tour which gives us some more information on how it is built. It is quite amazing but you are able to see the structure of the aluminum and the rest in rigid foam and aluminum ribs. You are right as that they are not space out like wood on centre spacing so that will not help us. Rockwood said there is extra reinforcement around the a/c unit which does not help but what i did see was on the roof it is actually 2 sections and that there are 2 parallel aluminum channel that run done the middle of the roof. If anyone here has the pro rack setup it apparently fastens to the middle aluminum and the perimeter aluminum at the drip cap. This is how is can hold its load without peeling off the roof. I have a thermal imager so i am going to try to see if can get an image for everyone to see the skeleton and maybe that can help. I really want to put rigid up there as the flex that are glued down will fail quickly as they have no way of cooling. Here is the link to the video!

Old 04-09-2020, 01:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupesy View Post
You have a rubber (EDPM?) roofing material bonded to a luan subroofing. Climb up there and look through the skylight over the shower, you should be able to see the layers. I would not simply glue (lap sealant, 3M foam tape, or otherwise) solar panels onto this, as it would most likely cause eventual failure of the roof material due to the additional wind drag on the panels lifting the roofing material off the luan. I'm adding additional panels to mine, I'll be using well nuts to secure them through the factory holes in the Renogy panels. I may also carefully add a couple more holes in the panels for better securement. Ideally I'd like to be able to run some screws into the aluminum frame, however I haven't been able to find a diagram to show their location, and a stud-finder doesn't work.
There is no wind drag on a flexible panel that is paper thin and behind the air conditioner.
cpttimerstraint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:09 PM   #6
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro FD

Thanks for the information, I have heard that people have had issues mounting there panels directly to the roof. The lack of ventilation under the panel causes them to fail prematurely which sounds horrible as that is how they came from the factory. I reached out to Alpha the manufacturer of the membrane on the roof and they do not recommend fastening anything to their roof membrane as it will pull off the Luan plywood. So the only real option is to secure to the panels to the aluminum in my opinion as i want to use the rigid panels and not flex. The warranty and life span is so much longer than the flex panels so i will figure out a plan for the rigid units somehow. Thanks everyone and i will share my install once i start my mod.
Old 04-22-2020, 04:42 PM   #7

You should check out this solar install on Geo Pro. I’m not sure I understand why not install a flexible panel, similar to the one from the manufacturer. Seems like there are risks with installing the hard panel.

2019 F150 Extended Cab, STX, 2.7l, 4WD
2021 Flagstaff E-Pro 19 FD
mcbridek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 06:06 PM   #8
2019 Rockwood Geo Pro FD

I have seen this video and that is when i realized i could run into problems if i ever had to remove my flexible panels so i did not want to attach them directly to the roof membrane. I then watched this video and liked the idea that he solved or helped with getting air under the panels and replacement was easy if they were the same size but again because he glued them directly it would not work for us. If the flex panels had a better warranty than 5 years i would think about it but i want my trailer for at least 10 so i have made the decision to go with rigid panels and i am going to go through the roof as one other member did and i will feel like I have done what i can do to make it work for me. I will order 4 100W panels from Renogy and making my own brackets that will allow me to tilt the panels 2 directions in case i need too. Another option i did pursue was to contact Pro Rac and get 4 racks to mount the panels too but that was really pricy and the panels sit really high what what i could determine. Just so everyone knows these racks mount near the edge of the trailer by the drip edge and the centre of the roof as these are the 2 main areas where there is reinforcement that is solid and can be attached too. I will try to post all the steps in case someone wants to follow in my crazy footsteps!!
Old 04-26-2020, 01:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dupesy View Post
Geo Pro & E-Pro have a TPO roof at 14:45 of video. This material has replace many EDPM roofs since 2013 as I had it on my 2014 Premier.
Charby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 01:50 PM   #10
Trailer Park Supervisor

I'm loathe to cut into my roof for any reason. I have the one factory panel, and bought a Renogy suitcase to supplement it, which is aim-able for maximum solar insolation, unlike most rooftop panels.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 08:04 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
I'm loathe to cut into my roof for any reason. I have the one factory panel, and bought a Renogy suitcase to supplement it, which is aim-able for maximum solar insolation, unlike most rooftop panels.
X2
Old 04-28-2020, 01:49 PM   #12

I like the idea of 4 panels. I’d have to replace my controller and probably wiring to support 400 watts.

I have 2 flexible 100w panels on the roof of my 19FBS. I 3M double sided taped mine to the roof allowing for water exit and sealed the front with eternabond. Also have a 40 watt portable for shaded camp sites. The only problem I have with the portable is the addiction to want to constantly move it into better sunlight when we hang around the camp site.
Old 04-28-2020, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malacarne View Post
Also have a 40 watt portable for shaded camp sites. The only problem I have with the portable is the addiction to want to constantly move it into better sunlight when we hang around the camp site.
I limit movement to every other beer and seems to work well
Old 04-28-2020, 02:47 PM   #14
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charby View Post
I limit movement to every other beer and seems to work well
Sounds like a good schedule! While adding all these panels seems tempting, by the time you add it all up, you could have a couple of generators, that would charge you up in rain, clouds, shade...I have 2 panels, 200W total. If I need more than that, I think I need to re-think why I am using so much power and/or flip the generator on for a couple hours. PLUS you can run the A.C if needed, something no sane # of panels can do.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2021, 10:13 AM   #15

Solar Panels

I reached out to the factory and asked about adding additional rigid panels and whether they can be attached to the luan plywood anywhere on the roof or need to be attached at framing members. They recommended attaching at framing members but unfortunately with the GeoPros/EPros that does not leave a lot of locations. Basically you can attach near the centerline or near the edge which means only one side of the panels will be attached with screws through framing. They sent me the attached PDF which is only partially helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solar Install.pdf (2.76 MB, 384 views)
ptrusheim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, roo, roof