Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-02-2024, 01:36 PM   #1

Geo Pro thermostat

In my previous coaches/travel trailers, the AC was ducted and has separate heat, cool and fan modes on the thermostat. We have downsized to a 2022 Geo Pro 16bh (love it) and the AC is just a ceiling unit. The thermostat is one of this little brown box types with the slider (lever) on the top that goes from “cooler” to “warmer”. I’m assuming that is only for the furnace and the AC is just on or off and not controlled by the thermostat. Can anyone confirm or give a bit more info? We have dogs and when the weather gets warmer, I want to make sure I set the AC accordingly if we step out for a (short) while.
Thanks!!
ddepr1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:16 PM   #2

That is correct. The air conditioning is controlled directly from the a/c unit on the ceiling. The furnace will be controlled from the little thermostat with the slider. I replaced my thermostat with a digital one found on amazon.
dnguyen924 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 06:37 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddepr1217 View Post
In my previous coaches/travel trailers, the AC was ducted and has separate heat, cool and fan modes on the thermostat. We have downsized to a 2022 Geo Pro 16bh (love it) and the AC is just a ceiling unit. The thermostat is one of this little brown box types with the slider (lever) on the top that goes from “cooler” to “warmer”. I’m assuming that is only for the furnace and the AC is just on or off and not controlled by the thermostat. Can anyone confirm or give a bit more info? We have dogs and when the weather gets warmer, I want to make sure I set the AC accordingly if we step out for a (short) while.
Thanks!!
That's what is called a "Blast from the Center" air conditioner, as opposed to ducted air conditioning.
Pretty standard in smaller RVs.
Personally I wouldn't have one, ducted a/c is the only way to go.
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 07:10 PM   #4

Thanks for the reply. That’s what I figured. I will probably do the same upgrade to the digital.
Old 04-02-2024, 07:52 PM   #5
Trailer Park Supervisor

I've found that in a small camper like a Geopro, the OEM Suburban furnace t-stat is fine for keeping us from freezing at night. You don't want a real tight hysteresis on your t-stat anyway, or it's going to cycle too often.

I did however replace the A/C interior control box and panel with a digital bluetooth enabled design with additional vents. This allows for the AC to be operated in 'auto', not just with fan blowing constantly, and I don't have to get out of bed, stand up in bed, to adjust it now. But it was an expensive upgrade.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2024, 08:27 PM   #6

I will admit that we New Jerseyans are pretty good with our hands and the proper tools but this seems a little over my pay grade. Nevertheless, I’m intrigued. Off to Google all these fancy terms you just taught me. :-)
Old 04-03-2024, 09:36 AM   #7
Trailer Park Supervisor

I only learned hysteresis messing with T-stats for my homemade kegerator back when I used to home brew! It's the official word for the gap between when the t-stat calls for heat, and when it shuts off. If you are near Morris, I can maybe give you some pointers.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
geo pro, thermostat