Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-05-2021, 10:46 AM   #1

GeoPro 16BH - Solar Controller Only Showing One Battery; Trying to understand display

See attached images. I have a 2020 GeoPro16BH with two marine batteries connected. Weve never boondocked (only been on electric hookup) but we are starting some boondocking next week. The instructions say to hold down the A and it will cycle between battery 1 and battery 2. But battery 2 never shows up.

I also noticed the top right says AC but we are not currently plugged in. So Im just a bit confused as to what I should be looking for here and how this all works. Concerned one of the batteries may be bad. Right now its connected to 100w solar panel but Ill be adding an additional 320w via Solar on the Side hookup.

Lastly, the battery type says AGM. Is that correct for a Marine Battery? Love this forum and thank you for all the help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	38A4B170-D93F-4154-B410-64DD48E921DB.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	253668   Click image for larger version

Name:	9704BEBC-0244-4FA0-A7D2-0B1F3F3FBE74.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	340.4 KB
ID:	253669   Click image for larger version

Name:	F84CBDB8-9EBB-479B-A617-AF23D67DE0C5.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	348.7 KB
ID:	253670   Click image for larger version

Name:	893378CE-3221-4ACB-A78B-38B3B6AB1B0D.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	253673  
BackcountryCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 11:28 AM   #2
Trailer Park Supervisor

Unless you have separate leads to separate batteries, it will only show as one battery. (Basically what your parallel connection does, make one big battery).

Your battery type should be set to Flooded for flooded lead acid.

The AC symbol comes on when you turn the inverter on. This will only work if your inverter is wired into panel to turn it on/off. My Geopro has a separate on/off inverter switch, so it does not apply to me.

All of this is covered under your Go Power instruction booklet you should have with your other paperwork.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:46 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Unless you have separate leads to separate batteries, it will only show as one battery. (Basically what your parallel connection does, make one big battery).

Your battery type should be set to Flooded for flooded lead acid.

The AC symbol comes on when you turn the inverter on. This will only work if your inverter is wired into panel to turn it on/off. My Geopro has a separate on/off inverter switch, so it does not apply to me.

All of this is covered under your Go Power instruction booklet you should have with your other paperwork.
Thank you this is super helpful. Unfortunately we bought 3rd party and I do not have that particular booklet. We do also have a separate inverter as you mentioned and it’s a button (that is currently set to off). I’m glad to know the battery is (likely) just fine. Concerned that it’s been set to AGM this entire time, though. Hopefully not a huge issue.
Old 05-05-2021, 11:49 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Geeze, i hate when people don't transfer paperwork! Lucky for you the manual is on the GoPower website. The AGM setting is different profile, and holds charge voltage at a higher rate. Better to use the proper setting. You may be able to toggle that AC symbol off by pressing and holding AC button for 3 seconds.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:17 PM   #5

I think it displays battery banks, not batteries.
ElyWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryCamp View Post
Thank you this is super helpful. Unfortunately we bought 3rd party and I do not have that particular booklet. We do also have a separate inverter as you mentioned and its a button (that is currently set to off). Im glad to know the battery is (likely) just fine. Concerned that its been set to AGM this entire time, though. Hopefully not a huge issue.
Njkris nailed it for you. Mine was set the same way, must be the default. I changed it to flooded. I doubt anything was hurt for a short period, as long as it didn't cook the electrolyte off.
Old 05-05-2021, 07:24 PM   #7

You may want to check the water level in your batteries. If low, fill with distilled water to the fill line.
Old 05-05-2021, 09:30 PM   #8

This has been fantastic info. Thank you all. Ordering a hydrometer now as well just to have around.
Old 05-06-2021, 09:24 AM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

I bought a hydrometer too, still haven't used it. As long as you are topped off with distilled water, should be good unless you start having issues, a hydrometer could indicate a cell is going bad. The acid in there will remain, despite water level going up or down. As long as level is maintained, the mixture will be good.

Don't try using hydrometer right after watering battery, electrolyte will not be mixed properly. And you have to factor in temperature, as they are usually calibrated at 80 deg F. There are plenty of webpages that tell you how if you are not familiar.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #10

and even a drop of what is in the battery gets on your cloths it will cause a hole, after you what them.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackcountryCamp View Post
Thank you this is super helpful. Unfortunately we bought 3rd party and I do not have that particular booklet. We do also have a separate inverter as you mentioned and it’s a button (that is currently set to off). I’m glad to know the battery is (likely) just fine. Concerned that it’s been set to AGM this entire time, though. Hopefully not a huge issue.

You can find manuals here and download PDFs as well.
https://forestriverinc.help/#/forest.../vehicles/2021
Just select the year and type.

Components: https://forestriverinc.com/Owners/Component-Manuals

Various videos: https://forestriverinc.com/Owners/Videos
RedRoverComeOver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
agm, battery, charge, charge controller, controller, solar