Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2012, 10:08 AM   #21

Well the tour was pretty fascinating. It's like watching cirque du soleil!!! Watching those dudes work was more interesting than the build itself. It is one thing to imagine an RV being built in a day. Completely another to see 30 plus built in a day!! The employees are very dedicated and work at an amazing speed. The quality of work was exceptional. I encourage anyone to tour if they can. We may tour other manufacturers just to compare the workmanship and quality. The build process went as I imagined it would as far as the stations and stages of a one day build. However it was still fascinating to see.

As indicated above, the walls are assembled in another building so other than seeing they are 1x4 aluminum studs I have nothing else. FR does not provide schematics and diagrams because "the design is ever changing from year to year". They also said if you ordered a tv for the bedroom they would include a support plate in the wall when they built it. Those of us who opted to buy a cheaper or better tv and install ourselves are SOL because they suggest the plate for strength and they advise against mounting tv without the plate because it compromises the vacuum seal of the wall. It's what I was told.

In summary I was very happy to see the build and feel very confident about the quality and durability of the rig. Trying not to be verbose so if you have specific questions about the tour don't hesitate to ask!
Skabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:29 AM   #22

Thank you for your "cliff notes" of the tour. I felt the same way about our tour. I would be interested to see how it compares to other factory and TT manufactures.
Equalizer 4-Point Sway 12000# & Tekonsha P3
pbrackney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 10:45 AM   #23

Agreed, pbrackney! We will most likely look at other tours but I can't see how anyone can out work and out quality the Amish build of ours. I am actually grateful knowing who will be building ours.
Old 04-06-2012, 11:07 AM   #24

Not trying to be smart or anything but wouldn't a stud finder find the studs?
jmswms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 11:36 AM   #25

Not sure if the a stud finder would locate aluminum studs in a wall. I would be more concerned about the vacuum laminated walls and causing issues with that. As soon as you drill into that wall you are compromising the vacuum, therefore canceling out any warranty of the wall if you have issues down the road. Not sure if I would want to take that chance.
Old 04-06-2012, 12:04 PM   #26

Found the aluminum stud!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrackney View Post
Not sure if the a stud finder would locate aluminum studs in a wall. I would be more concerned about the vacuum laminated walls and causing issues with that. As soon as you drill into that wall you are compromising the vacuum, therefore canceling out any warranty of the wall if you have issues down the road. Not sure if I would want to take that chance.
I used a stud finder that can find wood or metal. I did locate a 4" stud in the wall to the left as you face the tallest closet in the bedroom of the 3008W. I was puzzled by that since it was 4" but now that 1"X4" studs were mentioned I believe what the stud finder was indicating.

Good information here.
Thanks to everyone!
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #27

Great to know. I did come across a different type of TV bracket that would actually screw into the top of a table, wardrobe, or the like. That way you do not have to bother with screwing into the wall.

Check out the link for more info. Just another option for you.

MOR/Ryde High Flat Panel TV Mount - Slide Out/Swivel - Receptacles & TV Accessories - Satellites & TV
Old 04-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #28

Please note on the TV Mount that they have two different models with different heights. The link I sent is for the taller mount. They offer the smaller one too.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:06 PM   #29
Site Team - Lou

I would really like to know more about the "vacuum laminated walls" and holes in the walls.

"As soon as you drill into that wall you are compromising the vacuum, therefore canceling out any warranty of the wall if you have issues down the road."

I do not think that there is vacuum inside the walls. That just seems wrong to me. Using vacuum to glue the laminate down makes more sense to me; but I am surely confused now.

After the glue has set; I see no earthly reason why you can put a screw or anchor into it. Someone fill me in...
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 02:36 PM   #30

I'm confused right with you. I am just relaying what the Forest River guy told me. He said it could void your warranty. What does not amok sense to me is that there are holes in the walls after lamination anyway (windows, doors, vents, water heater vent, fridge, electric cord, water, outside shower, etc... So I would think just as you herk that once the glue is dried and the vacuum lamination is finished, drilling a hole would not affect that much. However I am no engineer so maybe there are reasons beyond my understanding. The brochure for the Flagstaff v-lites and classic super lite TT/5rs states the following: "flagstaff is one of the few light weight manufactures that is a fully 6 sided vacuum-bonded trailer. Our walls, floor, roof, fronts and backs are all built vacuum-bonded to ensure a light weight strong structural trailer."

Not sure what all that means. I would assume glue is involved. I think they use vacuum instead of the pinch roll method. Vacuum seems to bond it better.

Just more thoughts.

Herk you are much more knowledgeable than I so I would be interested in your thoughts on the matter, if, in the future, I need to drill or anchor something to the wall. I usually like to add coat hooks or an additional towel bar up and I am sure I will want to once we receive our new trailer in a few weeks.

Thanks to everyone for comments and suggestions. Loving these forums.
Old 04-06-2012, 02:42 PM   #31

Wall isn't vacuum sealed per se but there is vacuum in the process. And not just to clean up styrofoam shavings! Long story short, y'all.... They don't build the exterior wall to take the pressure and bouncing that a wall mount tv would create while on the road......absent the support plate added in the build. We are all probably smart enough to rig something and find a stud, but it isn't worth the damage risk.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:07 PM   #32
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skabi View Post
Wall isn't vacuum sealed per se but there is vacuum in the process. And not just to clean up Styrofoam shavings! Long story short, y'all.... They don't build the exterior wall to take the pressure and bouncing that a wall mount TV would create while on the road......absent the support plate added in the build. We are all probably smart enough to rig something and find a stud, but it isn't worth the damage risk.
I think we are in agreement that without some kind of backing plate a permanently wall mounted TV would be a bad idea. I also think with the correct fasteners you could install a wall mount for a TV for use IN CAMP; then take the TV down for travel.

The real issue I had with the post, had more to do with the "factory's" inference that putting holes in the walls would somehow let the vacuum out; thereby voiding your structure warranty. seemed silly; is all.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 04:57 PM   #33
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Just a thought. Instead of end users going nuts over where the studs are, what would it cost those who manufacture the studs to place a piece of of tape (or spayed on whatever) on the studs; one that is detectable by a stud finder or other cheap device?

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 05:44 PM   #34

I have a ? maybe you can answer. On my last new TT the lap sealant on the slide roof must of still been wet because when they closed the slide it stuck to the top seal and made a mess off the seal and my dealer had to order a new seal. and for some reason it kept on sticking so I had to put tape on the sealant so it wouldn't stick when I close the slide. so how do they do all this in one day and not have these kind of issues Thanks.
Old 04-06-2012, 07:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Remember to share. The "Herkbrary" is always hungry.

I thought it was the Herklopedia.
2019 FR Vibe 28RL
Rugged Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2012, 08:32 PM   #36

I do not think the manufactures want us drilling into the studs, hence why they will not mark them. They do put a sticker on the wall where they put the wall plate for a TV mount to go.

Great info everyone.