Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-21-2020, 10:03 AM   #41

This is my 6th season, and about 5K miles on my Westlake 205/70/14's. Next week will be my last trip with them. Would have changed this year but still paying for a tire change on my truck. Great thread guys. You have helped me make my mind up, but still debating 205's or 215's.
Equalizer 1200 4 pt. Tekonsha controller
Devilscreekw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:44 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by wszApex245 View Post
I concur with TitanMike. The wider tires might also induce additional heat in the tires. The additional temperature may be minor, but just a thought.

I run Goodyear Endurance and had the Castle Rocks. I made the change in the hopes to avoid problems similar to your thoughts.

I would also recommmend a Tire Pressure Montoring System (TPMS). I might even recommend a TPMS before new tires. I run the Blu Technology TPMS which utilizes my iPhone for monitoring with a USB Doggle for audible warnings.

I really wonder if all the damage from tires we all hear about is due to a lack of knowing a tire has lost pressure or something is changing rapidly like the temperature.

I say this because my screw cap Trim came out of the Front cap due to the heat in the Nevada desert a month ago. When I reviewed my Trucks rear camera video, the cap had come out miles earlier and I failed to notice it for 5-10 minutes. Had this been a tire going down for 5-10 minutes, the tire would have shredded and done a significant amount of damage by the time I noticed the problem.
I had the same thought. However, if many of the failures are due to operator error, we would be hearing similar stories about the Goodyears. That being said, I suspect because the Goodyears are better quality, they are likely more forgiving of operator error. Either way = safer, more peace of mind.
Irene D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:53 AM   #43

Quote:
You have helped me make my mind up, but still debating 205's or 215's.
You can also get more load on a tire by going up a load range... my stock 205 OEM tires were load range C... I went to a load range D at 65# up from 50# LRC tire and added weight capability at the same time.

If doing that then make sure you get metal valve stems installed in place of the rubber stock ones. Make sure the tire installer has those metal stems in stock.

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 10:56 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Amazoned the Goodyear Endurance 205 75r14's.

Gonna have a local car shop mount and BALANCE the new GOODYEARS.

Seems the balance the trailer tire issue is a whole 'nother can of worms.

I say, any tire on any vehicle that will travel at hiway speed should be balanced.

Personally, I believe dynamic balancing is best as in the Centramatic balancing rings, which will correct the whole spinning assembly, but at the least, I'm going to have the new tires balanced on the wheels.

Good input from everyone as always!

Thanks!!
I switched to GY one week after getting my new trailer home. Went to a Goodyear shop an hour away (they had plenty of the Endurance tires available, where others were out of them). They said no need to balance...which I wondered about. Because my other tires were new with less then 100 miles on them, I was able to sell those to a landscaper - the Castle Rocks won't get the weight and long distance driving that they can't handle, one a lightweight slow moving local landscape trailer. My total cost for 3 new tires after selling the Castle Rocks for $175? Slightly under $125. I would gladly have paid for balancing except the guy who has run the shop for decades was adamant they did not need balancing. I admit I would feel better if they were balanced...
Old 08-21-2020, 11:20 AM   #45

More evidence

Adding a story to CR demise. Less than 2,000 mi on tires (2019 5er), had TPMS, used appropriate pressure. Tire threw rubber, not a blow out, not a puncture. Tire held pressure til stopped so TPMS did not alert. Heard pop. Amazing what damage rubber did to underbelly, leveling system and slide out braces. Thought we'd be lucky, too. Went w/GY Endurance ASAP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3BD33E16-29E7-4E8A-BE0F-5BCFB7C5A274.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	474.2 KB
ID:	237179  
oburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:31 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by oburgess View Post
Adding a story to CR demise. Less than 2,000 mi on tires (2019 5er), had TPMS, used appropriate pressure. Tire threw rubber, not a blow out, not a puncture. Tire held pressure til stopped so TPMS did not alert. Heard pop. Amazing what damage rubber did to underbelly, leveling system and slide out braces. Thought we'd be lucky, too. Went w/GY Endurance ASAP.
Yep..this is the problem. When two of my 3 year old chinese tires let loose on my boat trailer within 100 miles of each other, it bent my fender up pretty good. A travel trailer on the other hand has too much going on inside the wheel well.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 11:57 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
Now you just opened a new can of worms with the people that say you can't balance a non hub centric wheel. I have my popcorn out.

I do balance mine.
I chuckle when I read that too. I spend my career dealing with balancing of wheels among other wheel service issues and know it's done many times per day all over the country.

FWIW, the center hole of ALL wheels is that the rest of the wheel is manufactured around. The issue is whether or not the "Hub" actually has a pilot or not..

To add, all the "lug centric" adapters made for balancers are designed to be used WITH the back cone doing the actual centering. The "Lug Centric" adapters were designed to provide clamping on wheels that had decorative centers that could be marred by regular center clamping devices. Also for wheels like the old VW wheels with a 205mm bolt circle. Any centering cone would be massive so balancer manufacturers made a plate to be bolted to the wheel and reduce the center hole size.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:07 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Gonna have a local car shop mount and BALANCE the new GOODYEARS.

Seems the balance the trailer tire issue is a whole 'nother can of worms.

I say, any tire on any vehicle that will travel at hiway speed should be balanced.

Personally, I believe dynamic balancing is best as in the Centramatic balancing rings, which will correct the whole spinning assembly, but at the least, I'm going to have the new tires balanced on the wheels.

Good input from everyone as always!

Thanks!!
The "can of worms" is usually raised by people that don't want to pay extra for balancing trailer tires.

Balancing can cut down on all kinds of wear and tear on a trailer as vibration can shake everything from the bottoms of drawers loose to re-arranging your cupboards and refrigerator contents.

As for "dynamic balancing", every off car balancer built since the mid 70's is a "Dynamic" balancer and a lot less expensive (to the consumer) than adding the "rings".

The bright side of balancing today is that tires are a lot more uniform than decades ago. I haven't seen a tire recently that takes anywhere near the weight some did back in the 70's.

Old 08-21-2020, 12:30 PM   #49

I Say Yes To Balancing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irene D View Post
I switched to GY one week after getting my new trailer home. Went to a Goodyear shop an hour away (they had plenty of the Endurance tires available, where others were out of them). They said no need to balance...which I wondered about. Because my other tires were new with less then 100 miles on them, I was able to sell those to a landscaper - the Castle Rocks won't get the weight and long distance driving that they can't handle, one a lightweight slow moving local landscape trailer. My total cost for 3 new tires after selling the Castle Rocks for $175? Slightly under $125. I would gladly have paid for balancing except the guy who has run the shop for decades was adamant they did not need balancing. I admit I would feel better if they were balanced...
I drive big trucks for a job and same story in the big truck world... "don't need to balance"

What? Why not. They arrive brand new with balance weights on the wheels.

I will say this, having just had the GY's put on the Rockwood. I had them spin balanced and they had to use quite a few stick on weights on each wheel to get them true. So, if not balanced they would be rolling down the road out of balance.

I don't know where that kind of thinking comes from at some shops, and hey you are the customer willing to pay, so balance the tires.

Any tire on any vehicle rolling at highway speeds IMO needs to be balanced.

Oh and the other issue that pops up is the hub vs stud balancing.

Some say the wheel center is not the true center of the wheel. Well I don't see wheel center caps wobbling off center.

When they balanced the 14" Rockwood aluminum wheels, they put them on the machine using the cones through the hub wheel center and while spinning on the machine, the wheel was spot on true, so I have no worries about that.
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:58 PM   #50

I've been convinced to go the Goodyear trailer tire route now for a few months. First, was waiting until I could find the tires at my preferred local shop. The second reason, I just purchased 2 new trailer tires that I didn't plan on purchasing, within 5 days of one another.
My boat trailer takes the same wheels / tires as our Puma 29QBSS. A 225/75-15, with an E load rating. Great, I got 2 spares then between 6 tires when I travel most of the time. Well, coming home from the lake about 4 weeks ago (only a 20 mile drive) I blew a boat trailer tire. TowMax (china bomb) tires, that were 2 years old, and had less than 1,000 miles on them. Always kept to 60psi, carrying a 4,000 lb boat. Thought about replacing that 1 with the same make of tire, or replacing both with the GY tires. They didn't have the GY's, so went with a direct replacement. Five days later, on my trip to Broken Bow lake in OK, (450 miles away) we had the other side blow on the boat trailer. That was a Friday late afternoon. Took in first thing Monday morning to the Discount Tire in Broken Bow, and they only had direct replacements. GY's were on National backorder in that size. So now is my delima... When the GY's are back in stock, do I replace the 4 on the camper, and the 2 on the boat trailer, and use these 2 new china bombs as my spares? Or do I replace the 4 on the camper this coming winter, and replace the 2 on the boat trailer in October 2021, thinking that the surely 1 year old TowMax's will be fine for 1 year... Meanwhile, I have some bodywork I need to do on the boat trailer now, along with some new paint...
Other toys: 2007 Rinker Captiva w/Monster tower & rack
GXPWeasel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 01:09 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by GXPWeasel View Post
I've been convinced to go the Goodyear trailer tire route now for a few months. First, was waiting until I could find the tires at my preferred local shop. The second reason, I just purchased 2 new trailer tires that I didn't plan on purchasing, within 5 days of one another.
My boat trailer takes the same wheels / tires as our Puma 29QBSS. A 225/75-15, with an E load rating. Great, I got 2 spares then between 6 tires when I travel most of the time. Well, coming home from the lake about 4 weeks ago (only a 20 mile drive) I blew a boat trailer tire. TowMax (china bomb) tires, that were 2 years old, and had less than 1,000 miles on them. Always kept to 60psi, carrying a 4,000 lb boat. Thought about replacing that 1 with the same make of tire, or replacing both with the GY tires. They didn't have the GY's, so went with a direct replacement. Five days later, on my trip to Broken Bow lake in OK, (450 miles away) we had the other side blow on the boat trailer. That was a Friday late afternoon. Took in first thing Monday morning to the Discount Tire in Broken Bow, and they only had direct replacements. GY's were on National backorder in that size. So now is my delima... When the GY's are back in stock, do I replace the 4 on the camper, and the 2 on the boat trailer, and use these 2 new china bombs as my spares? Or do I replace the 4 on the camper this coming winter, and replace the 2 on the boat trailer in October 2021, thinking that the surely 1 year old TowMax's will be fine for 1 year... Meanwhile, I have some bodywork I need to do on the boat trailer now, along with some new paint...
If I had thought of it, I might have kept one of the Castle Rocks as a spare, just so if it gets stolen, no big loss. Have you tried to go to Goodyear direct, and put in the tires you want? That will give you a list of the closest dealers that have those tires. I was striking out everywhere until I went direct to Goodyear, and the dealer that had them had a whole stockroom full of them. Don't go by the price on the Goodyear site (which actually was comparable to the prices on other sites that were out of stock). Instead, call the listed dealers that have them in stock. I got mine for $119 each last week, no charge for mounting, where Goodyear listed $19 each for mounting. Cheaper then on Amazon!
Old 08-21-2020, 03:38 PM   #52

Sounds like you made the right choice, 6CatDaddy. I just ran into this highlighted cautionary note in my Dexter axle information:

"CAUTION: Replacement tires must meet the same specifications as the originals. Mismatched tires and rims may come apart with explosive force and cause personal infjury to yourself or others. Mismatched tires and rims can also blow out anc cause you to lose control and have an accident which can result in serious injury or death."

Sounds like changing tire size could negate the benefit of switching from the CRs to the Endurance!

I am about to make the same move. One of my Castle Rocks just blew at the start of my current trip. I had checked the pressure an hour earlier and hadn't covered 15 miles on the road, most of it at 45mph. Got on the Interstate at 60 mph and less than two miles down the road, it blew.
Servant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 12:53 AM   #53

👍

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servant View Post
Sounds like you made the right choice, 6CatDaddy. I just ran into this highlighted cautionary note in my Dexter axle information:

"CAUTION: Replacement tires must meet the same specifications as the originals. Mismatched tires and rims may come apart with explosive force and cause personal infjury to yourself or others. Mismatched tires and rims can also blow out anc cause you to lose control and have an accident which can result in serious injury or death."

Sounds like changing tire size could negate the benefit of switching from the CRs to the Endurance!

I am about to make the same move. One of my Castle Rocks just blew at the start of my current trip. I had checked the pressure an hour earlier and hadn't covered 15 miles on the road, most of it at 45mph. Got on the Interstate at 60 mph and less than two miles down the road, it blew.
Thanks. Yeah I feel better now the GY's are under the wagon, you will too probably when you get your's set up.

Take care!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 08:52 AM   #54

Yes go with the bigger tires. I did and it was a good move. I have the 215/75-14 now and have over 10,000 miles just in the past 3 months. I do find it rides over bumps better. And they are rated for 2205 lbs each as opposed to 2039 lbs for the 205's.
cobaltpap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 10:45 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobaltpap View Post
Yes go with the bigger tires. I did and it was a good move. I have the 215/75-14 now and have over 10,000 miles just in the past 3 months. I do find it rides over bumps better. And they are rated for 2205 lbs each as opposed to 2039 lbs for the 205's.
What's your axle rated for?

It's nice to have tires capable of carrying the load but the 205's will carry more than what the axle's rated for and THAT will be the limiting factor for weight carrying.

Old 08-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #56

My RPod came with Westlake 235/75/15’s. Since the the major tires everyone talks about (GY, Maxxis & Carlisle) only come in 225 vs. my stock 235, will this be a problem?

Also, it seems the only tire talked about in this thread is Goodyear - why no discussion about the other two?
Old 08-22-2020, 02:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR51 View Post
My RPod came with Westlake 235/75/15’s. Since the the major tires everyone talks about (GY, Maxxis & Carlisle) only come in 225 vs. my stock 235, will this be a problem?

Also, it seems the only tire talked about in this thread is Goodyear - why no discussion about the other two?
I use Maxxis on my boat and travel trailer. When I bought my last set of Maxxis, the Endurance was only out for 8 months so wasn't ready to be a Beta tester.

Carlisle is made in China so those tires are out for me.

My bet is that your tire is not an ST tire and is instead an LT tire. If that is the case, a 225 75 15 ST tire will have WAY more load capability than the tire you have on their now. You may just want to stick with an LT tire...they are cheaper.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2020, 02:27 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I use Maxxis on my boat and travel trailer. When I bought my last set of Maxxis, the Endurance was only out for 8 months so wasn't ready to be a Beta tester.

Carlisle is made in China so those tires are out for me.
Hey, thanks for the help.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:58 PM   #59

Thanks everyone, great discussion.
I just got home from picking up my 19RR TH and the trip was white knuckle all the way, the first thing to go will be the tires! I want to go with Endurance 215’s for the extra bit of ground clearance but will there be more side/wall flex with the 215 over the (stock) 205’s? Or is that a non-issue with that stiff a tire? Also, does everyone still run 65psi?
Elemental is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 06:14 PM   #60
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR51 View Post

Not sure I'm understanding this comment. The title of the thread is "Goodyear Endurance question".

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote