Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2020, 02:26 PM   #21

Congrats and welcome to the GY Endurance gang.

Hope Amazon sends you tires that are relatively recent production, not an older date code.

Mike
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #22

Now you just opened a new can of worms with the people that say you can't balance a non hub centric wheel. I have my popcorn out.

I do balance mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CatDaddy View Post
Amazoned the Goodyear Endurance 205 75r14's.

Gonna have a local car shop mount and BALANCE the new GOODYEARS.

Seems the balance the trailer tire issue is a whole 'nother can of worms.

I say, any tire on any vehicle that will travel at hiway speed should be balanced.

Personally, I believe dynamic balancing is best as in the Centramatic balancing rings, which will correct the whole spinning assembly, but at the least, I'm going to have the new tires balanced on the wheels.

Good input from everyone as always!

Thanks!!
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 02:29 PM   #23

Tires Are Here

Update...

I Amazoned the 20575r14 GY Endurances.

Only took 3 days and FedEx dropped them off.

REAL HAPPY that all 4 tires have a date code that were made July 20th, 2020.

Whew! I was worried they would be old stock, but no.

Now Monday gonna get them swapped to trlr wheels at a reputable local car repair shop.

One thing that is a little weird, I felt kinda funny going to a tire shop to get the GY's swapped thinking the tire shop is thinking where'd you get the tires?

Oh well... nothing is easy.

Should go smooth Monday, of course I have about 9 things scheduled to do on Monday, but aint that how life goes? !!

And, yeah, I could use another day but we need it done this week and Monday is the best so...

I will post back how the process went and how the GY's are compared to the Castle Rocks, but I think everybody knows how that will go...

I will say though, on our three different MiniLites we put about 6k miles on Castle Rocks with no problems, but just always in the back of my mind the whole chinabomb deal.

I know every and any tire can pick up a nail and go flat, but the chinabomb blowouts were just too much for us to think about at turnpike speeds.

Y'all stay safe and strong!
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:04 PM   #24
Site Team

Quote:
Update...

Tires don't have an actual day produced on them, but a week and year. The last four digits of the DOT code will be the week (first two digits) and year (last two digits) the tire was nade

Ex. 0720 would mean the tires were manufactured the seventh week of 2020.....which would be in February.

3218 would mean the thirty second week of 2018.

You shouldn't feel awkward about getting internet tires installed at a tire dealer. We do them all day long for tires purchased off Amazon, tire rack, discount tire, Walmart. Thats just how business has evolved and most all tire stores will install them.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:37 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
Tires don't have an actual day produced on them, but a week and year. The last four digits of the DOT code will be the week (first two digits) and year (last two digits) the tire was nade

Ex. 0720 would mean the tires were manufactured the seventh week of 2020.....which would be in February.

3218 would mean the thirty second week of 2018.

You shouldn't feel awkward about getting internet tires installed at a tire dealer. We do them all day long for tires purchased off Amazon, tire rack, discount tire, Walmart. Thats just how business has evolved and most all tire stores will install them.
Yeah, not the "day", the 30th week of 2020 I shoulda posted, but close enough.

Thanks, that tire store info is helpful. I guess I should not have felt funny, hey it is a cash job walking in the door, right?

The car shop I'm gonna use is where I get our vehicles State inspected, old school family business with modern equipment, good honest shop, so I feel good with them doin the swap
Old 08-15-2020, 05:51 PM   #26

while they have one of the old tires off the rim, push down from the top of the carcass, then push down from the top of the GY tires.... quite a bit of difference in stiffness, and feel the weight difference also, much more than merely a size up from 205 to 215 would justify...

you will be glad to get the GY on and rolling
that stiffness difference will make the tires track much better when pulling

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:28 PM   #27

Quote:
Update...

Now Monday gonna get them swapped to trlr wheels at a reputable local car repair shop.

One thing that is a little weird, I felt kinda funny going to a tire shop to get the GY's swapped thinking the tire shop is thinking where'd you get the tires?

Oh well... nothing is easy.

Should go smooth Monday, of course I have about 9 things scheduled to do on Monday, but aint that how life goes? !!

And, yeah, I could use another day but we need it done this week and Monday is the best so...

I will post back how the process went and how the GY's are compared to the Castle Rocks, but I think everybody knows how that will go...

I will say though, on our three different MiniLites we put about 6k miles on Castle Rocks with no problems, but just always in the back of my mind the whole chinabomb deal.

I know every and any tire can pick up a nail and go flat, but the chinabomb blowouts were just too much for us to think about at turnpike speeds.

Y'all stay safe and strong!
What company within Amazon did your tires come from? I haven’t seen them available for Amazon Prime. I been watching Amazon for this exact size since June. eCustomhitch seems to be one of the few companys that carry this size, I was afraid of getting old stock. Thanks!
Squatchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 06:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squatchin View Post
What company within Amazon did your tires come from? I haven’t seen them available for Amazon Prime. I been watching Amazon for this exact size since June. eCustomhitch seems to be one of the few companys that carry this size, I was afraid of getting old stock. Thanks!
Came from Ft. Myers Fla, tire warehouse Not sure of the name but the Ft Myers I remember...
Old 08-15-2020, 07:17 PM   #29

Quote:
Came from Ft. Myers Fla, tire warehouse Not sure of the name but the Ft Myers I remember...
Thank you! Yes that is from eCustomhitch store then. Placing my order now.
Old 08-17-2020, 03:55 PM   #30

They are on!!

WooHoo!

The ST205/75R14 Goodyear Endurance's are on and ready for action.

Folks, although all the numbers are the same, the GY'S over the Castle Rocks difference is night and day.

At the shop, after Castle Rocks came off rims, if I put my fist in the center of the tread, I could easily push down on tire, the tread pushed in the sidewalls collapsed and bottom of tire pushed flat.

The Goodyear's, before mounting when I pushed down on tread...
Nothing gave. Hardly any tire movement.

Also GY'S a noticeable bit heavier tire.

So, cost a little bit but now all those pics of blown out CR'S are not going to be on my mind at turnpike speeds.
Old 08-18-2020, 01:48 PM   #31

Didn't Happen W/O Pictures

I even feel better with it sittin on GY's in the driveway...

Just an FYI cause I did not know what kind of sensors the TST tpms used, they are not on the valve stems they are little plastic boxes secured to middle of rim with a huge hose clamp
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_143811.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	453.0 KB
ID:	236862   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200818_143801.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	236863  
Old 08-18-2020, 01:55 PM   #32

Quote:
I put my fist in the center of the tread, I could easily push down on tire, the tread pushed in the sidewalls collapsed and bottom of tire pushed flat.

The Goodyear's, before mounting when I pushed down on tread...
Nothing gave. Hardly any tire movement.
That was what I first noticed about them...

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 07:28 PM   #33

Quote:
Just received my tires from FedEx with a manufactured date of 2520. Thank you for your assistance! I would still be waiting for backordered tires going through tire rack, and paying more.
Old 08-18-2020, 08:01 PM   #34

Nice!

Glad it helped!!

Take care!!
Old 08-18-2020, 08:07 PM   #35

There wasnt but two fingers between the tires on mine. I send to the D range but had to stay with the 205s with the torqueflex axles
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 08:18 PM   #36

Quote:

Just an FYI cause I did not know what kind of sensors the TST tpms used, they are not on the valve stems they are little plastic boxes secured to middle of rim with a huge hose clamp

With that weight on one side of the wheel good reason to balance them.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:55 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by babock View Post
I put 215/75/14 on my trailer that originally came with 205/75/14. The reason I went up to the 215 at the time was to get a little more load rating. At the time, Goodyear Endurance tires had not been out that long so stuck with the Maxxis and they didn't have a D rated version available.

The 215 tire is 0.6" taller which also means in a tandem axle they will be 0.6" closer together. In my opinion, not worth worrying about.
I also went with the 215s over the stock 205s. At Sam's Club the difference in price for the 215 over 205 GY Endurance was only $5 per tire. So for $20, I got an extra theoretical load capacity increase of 800 lbs on the set of 4. (if I remember correctly) That was too much margin of safety increase to pass up. Spacing between tires was very ample so I wasn't concerned. We have made cross country round trips (MI to UT) and (MI to MT) on the tires so far, with no issues. Tire wear looks very normal. I am running at about 60 psi cold.
2014 F150 SCREW 5.0L
2016 Mini-Lite 2506S
sytsmasj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #38

Quote:
Gonna doit.

I can't not change out the Castle Rocks to GY's after seeing folks post pics of the blowouts with Castle Rocks on low mileage well maintained tires...

Personally, we have not had issues with the CR's, but the whole time we are on turnpikes and interstates I can't stop thinking about those wagon wheels, even with normal TPMS readings.

My question is, if I go with the GY's, my current tire size is 205/75 r14 load range D, for a few dollars more each, there are 215/75r14's. Load range D.

I am familiar with the load ratings and axle weights, but am thinking the 215's would be a better choice...

What I would like to know is has anyone out there done this swap and how do the 215's fit and look on the aluminum wheels?

Our current trlr is a 2205s.

It is not that big a jump in tire width, but I don't want them to look like big fat donuts on narrow wheels...

Thanks for input if you have made this switch!!
My castle rocks blew out with less than 5000 on them at 50 mpr in Nevada...truck n trailer rolled ( Grey Wolf 27RR ) ...6 wks in hosp...first thing I did with my new 25 pack 12 was GOODYEAR ENDURANCE....safe travels my freind !
juice5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 12:37 AM   #39

I changed over to Goodyear Endurance as soon as I returned home with my new camper.
Shadow Stalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 09:41 AM   #40

Had our 1st Castle Rock blowout back in June on our 2018 Greywolf with only a little over 1000 miles on the trailer.

Had planned another trip planned for August and checking the camper the one beside the blowout was flat, so that makes 2.

Had enough and was fixing to leave for the trip and my tire guy had Carlisle's in stock so I went with those. When he changed them a third tire had a broken belt! So that is 3 out of 4!

I firmly believe the Castle Rocks are inferior tires and in some cases severely under weight on the rating. In my case with the Grey Wolf the GVWR is 7621#'s dry, so not a stretch to round up to 8000#'s loaded. The ST205/75R14 CR's are rated for 1,760-lb max load at 50 psi, so x 4= 7040#, which does not even cover the dry weight, much less loaded.
King Ranch FX4 Lariat 6.7 Diesel
jshrop6004 is offline   Reply With Quote