Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2019, 05:26 PM   #41

Buy the Goodyear Endurance tires. You will not regret that decision. It will give you years of "peace of mind".

Instead of a back-up camera, try fitting your tow vehicle with side mirror extensions. They work even better than a back-up camera. You won't have to think twice when deciding whether to look in the rear-view mirrors, or the tiny screen of typical back-up cameras. It will become part of your normal "reflex" motions when towing.
Jakieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM   #42

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Camera, Buy some Sailun tires if available in your size. They will outlast the over advertised derigible tires hands down, save you money too!
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 06:06 AM   #43

TIRES!
twdenman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 08:17 AM   #44

My first two enhancements to my 21FBRS were the Furrion observation camera and TST Color TPMS system. I don’t use the camera so much for backing up as much as I do for acting as my rear view mirror. With the TST, I can watch what’s happening with my Castle Rock tires - and I got extra caps to monitor the truck also.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2019, 12:27 PM   #45

TIRES! The camera is a convenience. The tires are a must and could cost you a lot of money if one of them fails. Been running Goodyear for the past 4 years and love them!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 10:47 PM   #46

Observation camera for sure. If you have the tires with the right pressure you shouldn’t have any problems in the first year. We have gotten several years out of original tires on 3 trailers.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:54 AM   #47

Camera.
Artspe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:41 AM   #48

Thanks for all the input everyone, the opinions and justifications are interesting. I ended up buying some Goodyear endurance tires, the trailer is only two months off the lot, I’m going to list the Chinese tires for sale on Craigslist and put that money towards the camera
Sweedish15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 08:03 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakie-Boy View Post
Buy the Goodyear Endurance tires. You will not regret that decision. It will give you years of "peace of mind".

Instead of a back-up camera, try fitting your tow vehicle with side mirror extensions. They work even better than a back-up camera. You won't have to think twice when deciding whether to look in the rear-view mirrors, or the tiny screen of typical back-up cameras. It will become part of your normal "reflex" motions when towing.
Having used both, cameras and mirrors, I would have to disagree. Mirrors can not see around corners, neither can a camera. But the Rear View Safety camera, it has 170 degree view at the back of the trailer. It has the advantage of seeing the blind spot at the rear. Quite often, a vehicle will come up on you into the blind spot before pulling out to pass. You can see that with the camera and anticipate what the other driver is going to do. It can also see the front of the vehicles in adjoining lanes. When you can see the front bumper in the camera monitor, you know you have cleared. pulling further ahead, you can safely change lanes. With side mirrors, it is an educated guess.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2019, 06:16 PM   #50

After reading so many interesting comments, I decided to add my own to the debate.

I see no reason to rush to the nearest Goodyear dealer, as soon as you pull your new camper off the lot. While I do intend on replacing the factory tires eventually with GY tires, I think its possible to get some good miles on factory tires as well. The key is to get a quality TPMS system and check your tires on a regular basis. Nobody wants the potential damage caused by a blowout, but you can't just spend more money on better tires and then ignore them either. When I do replace my tires, I will still run with TPMS and check them often.

With regard to an observation camera, I think its a "must have." I've towed trailers without one, but installed one as soon as we got our mini lite. It's a game changer! Towing a trailer through Atlanta mid day is never fun, but the ability to see behind the trailer made changing lanes so much easier. We've put over 5k miles on our mini lite since getting it, and road trips are much better with the camera always on.

Just a few thoughts. Enjoy your rig! Happy camping!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:45 AM   #51

Well .... if you're planning on a 2000 mile trip in 70 to 90 F. ambient temperatures and driving at 75 MPH then I would think the tires would be a definite priority. But, I also think you might reconsider your plans. New tires might not stand up to that treatment very well either.

If it's really just a normal (my kind of normal) ... 100 to 200 miles (at a time) leisurely miles at nothing more than 50 to 60 MPH the tires should be fine.

The main thing ... and I'll bet those who report terrible things happening haven't done it .... is to CHECK tire pressures constantly! Over or Under pressure tires are dangerous. Your stock tires should be fine ... as time goes by, just look carefully for cracks in the sidewalls. I've experienced that over the past few years with North American made tires! Thankfully, I've never had a blow-out. Need I mention ... it's also imperative to torque your wheel lugs regularly.

Oh - Oh .... I almost forgot ... Wheel balancing! Mention it to an RV dealer, at least around my location, and they look at you as if you had holes in your head! NOT SO .... it's one of the most important things to do. Not only are 'out-of-balance' wheels hard on the tires, just imagine what bouncing along the road does to your electrical connections, water connections and GAS connections. Don't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously folks ... do that. I have an automotive garage that accommodates the trailer now, but one time I took two wheels at a time off in my driveway and had them balanced locally. Whatever ... Do IT!!!

The Observation Camera is a great investment. Furrion, now... (much to my envy as I just bought one last year) has audio added to the monitor. Certainly helpful for backing into sites with the help of your spotter without walkie-talkies or cell phones.

Cheers, best of luck, happy travels and camping.

John
Old 05-18-2019, 10:54 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a v View Post
Well .... if you're planning on a 2000 mile trip in 70 to 90 F. ambient temperatures and driving at 75 MPH then I would think the tires would be a definite priority. But, I also think you might reconsider your plans. New tires might not stand up to that treatment very well either.

If it's really just a normal (my kind of normal) ... 100 to 200 miles (at a time) leisurely miles at nothing more than 50 to 60 MPH the tires should be fine.

The main thing ... and I'll bet those who report terrible things happening haven't done it .... is to CHECK tire pressures constantly! Over or Under pressure tires are dangerous. Your stock tires should be fine ... as time goes by, just look carefully for cracks in the sidewalls. I've experienced that over the past few years with North American made tires! Thankfully, I've never had a blow-out. Need I mention ... it's also imperative to torque your wheel lugs regularly.

Oh - Oh .... I almost forgot ... Wheel balancing! Mention it to an RV dealer, at least around my location, and they look at you as if you had holes in your head! NOT SO .... it's one of the most important things to do. Not only are 'out-of-balance' wheels hard on the tires, just imagine what bouncing along the road does to your electrical connections, water connections and GAS connections. Don't leave home without it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Seriously folks ... do that. I have an automotive garage that accommodates the trailer now, but one time I took two wheels at a time off in my driveway and had them balanced locally. Whatever ... Do IT!!!

The Observation Camera is a great investment. Furrion, now... (much to my envy as I just bought one last year) has audio added to the monitor. Certainly helpful for backing into sites with the help of your spotter without walkie-talkies or cell phones.

John

with good tires rated at high speed like the endurance or carilse's weather your running 2000 miles at 75 or 200 won't make a difference . since i run cross country twice a yr i would have a hard time if i could only go 200 miles a day . Avg is 400 to 550 miles a day from speeds of 65 to 75 avg 70 . tires do fine .
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 06:59 AM   #53
KnP

I never replaced tires on mine, still using the OEMs. Never had an issue with any of them. Bought the camera and cannot be any happier, makes it so easy to back up and perfect to weave in an out of traffic. However, when it comes the time to replace the tires, will get the Goodyear.
Old 05-19-2019, 02:37 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by john a v View Post

John

Tire balance is a great point. We have had tire dealers tell us there is no need to balance the tires on trailers or on the rear of a vehicle. Makes you think you have an honest dealer. Not so, unbalanced tires are constantly hammering the pavement and causes cups in the tires. When that happens, you will hear a tire noise. We balance the spare as-well. When we rotate tires, we have them check the balance on all tires. Even tire ware will save you money in the long run and definitely give your rig a smoother ride.

Take notice when you are on the highways and see how bad the tires bounce on even commercial vehicles when the tires are out of balance. Those tires have the appearance of a rotating cam shaft.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 03:19 PM   #55

Wow, amazing to see all the GY Endurance love. When I bought ours last year they were relatively new and most of the threads I read were apprehensive about them and so many people were recommending E rated truck tires.

As far as which to get first, I got a Furrion backup camera first, then a year later got the tires. My reason for that is the tight cover I back it into, see pic below. I just kept an eye on the pressures and the D rated 15" Chinabombs survived just fine. The 16" Endurance tires I put on are visibly much beefier and much more piece of mind. The hardest part about backing it into the cover, is I have to approach it at an angle, which is why the bu camera was a must.

https://www.forestriverforums.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic98816_1.gif
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:12 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
New trailer can only afford one at a time. New Goodyear endurance tires right away or buy a furrion back up cam and use the Chinese tires for 6 months?
Get proper tires I would say. Your family's and others' safety may depend on it
mattdebruyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:14 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweedish15 View Post
New trailer can only afford one at a time. New Goodyear endurance tires right away or buy a furrion back up cam and use the Chinese tires for 6 months?
Definitely tires. You don't want to take the chance of a blowout. We got the backup camera and have yet to use it.
Mevd58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:17 PM   #58

Tires first, is my suggestion. On my second set of Goodyear Endurance and very satisfied.
Enjoy the new trailer!
Kell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:25 PM   #59
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kell View Post
Tires first, is my suggestion. On my second set of Goodyear Endurance and very satisfied.
Enjoy the new trailer!
How many miles did you get on the 1st set?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 06:27 PM   #60

Biggest problem with tires is not maintaining tire pressure and driving faster than there rated for.I still have my factory tires with 6000 miles.Only one flat with a screw in it.
dperky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires