Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 PM   #1

Got our new 2509S

Got our camper last night in last minute dash before the shutdown. But we got it home so happy with this I had to pull it home without my WDH and I swear it pulled better than my old hybrid 21 ft camper.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0871.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	414.1 KB
ID:	225809

Old 03-26-2020, 07:06 PM   #2

Looks great,Congratulations and Welcome from New Jersey

Chris Pastuzyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2020, 07:14 PM   #3

Congratulations! Nice looking rig. Now you'll have plenty of time to 'customize' it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:16 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverse_snowbird View Post
Congratulations! Nice looking rig. Now you'll have plenty of time to 'customize' it.

Yeah I found out Iím off till the 13th so Iíll be setting it up.
Old Yesterday, 12:02 PM   #5

Nice looking camper. Looks like a bunkhouse. Congratulations! I miss the big cargo access door on our old bunkhouse. Now you'll drive yourself crazy ugrading and adding stuff. I think we all do. Of course, that's one of the fun things of owning an RV. I still need to get our fifth wheel out of mothballs from the 2019-2020 winter which never materialized here in PA.

2014 Rockwood Signature 8282 Ultra-Lite
2008 RAM 3500 HD DRW Laramie Megacab
6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Grapehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:07 PM   #6

Looks really Great, Ive heard nothing but praise for that model.

Im sure you are Thrilled, and rightly so!
Old Yesterday, 12:10 PM   #7

congrats....how do you like the way the tundra pulled it? I pull a 2511s with a tundra . interested in others experience with similar TT.
bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #8

Nice looking trailer! But your Tundra might not be rated to carry the weight (cargo capacity) of the 2509S! Look at your yellow door sticker for your cargo capacity. Our 2509S has a tongue weight of 950# with WDH. I believe that the Tundra's cargo capacity is around 1200# That only leaves 250# for 2 passengers!

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM   #9

I was very happy with the way it pulled. I pulled it home from the dealer without my distribution hitch and actually felt good. Yesterday I installed my hitch and pulled to a vacant parking lot to check level. It felt pretty good. The proof will be when I fill the water tank.
Old Yesterday, 01:09 PM   #10

Nice Rig

Congrats on your new Mini. We love our 2502KS and our Toyota Tundra!! Wishing we were planning a trip but are sheltering at home for as long as we need to in order to save lives. ENJOY!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20A0A774-2C6D-49D5-BC78-C40886E7CD26.jpeg
Views:	24
Size:	364.8 KB
ID:	225840  
CYAH OUT THERE! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by uno676 View Post
I was very happy with the way it pulled. I pulled it home from the dealer without my distribution hitch and actually felt good. Yesterday I installed my hitch and pulled to a vacant parking lot to check level. It felt pretty good. The proof will be when I fill the water tank.
I think what 45RPM is suggesting is to check your cargo weight rating on your drivers side door pillar of your tundra to see if your cargo capacity is pushed by the weight of the trailer's tongue. Trailer tongue weights are notoriously under-estimated by manufacturers, as they usually represent an empty trailer. If your truck's cargo capacity is just a few hundred pounds more than your trailer tongue weight, then you'll be legally "overweight" if you just put a second passenger in your truck or add any gear to the trailer or even fill your propane and/or water tank(s).

I believe that if you have your truck and trailer weighed at a weigh station (CAT scale) you will get the best information as to whether your truck is a bit over-matched by your trailer or not. The CAT scale will tell you the weight that's on your TV's front wheels and rear wheels, as well as the weight on the trailer axles. Driving your trailer home from the dealer on a sunny day is very different from navigating steep, twisting downgrades with an overloaded trailer or navigating an interstate highway in high winds.

We have a big diesel RAM dually one ton pickup and pull a supposedly lightweight "half ton towable" Rockwood fifth wheel (7,700# empty) and when we went to a CAT scale, we found we were dangerously close to being overweight. Hard to imagine but very common in the RV world.

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45RPM View Post
Nice looking trailer! But your Tundra might not be rated to carry the weight (cargo capacity) of the 2509S! Look at your yellow door sticker for your cargo capacity. Our 2509S has a tongue weight of 950# with WDH. I believe that the Tundra's cargo capacity is around 1200# That only leaves 250# for 2 passengers!

-Rich
is that 950# an actual weight that you measured?
bigred123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM   #13

As you stated a Ram dually and close to over weight with less than 10k. I imagine your PW to be around 2k and payload at least 4000#. That is usually the 1st number that runs out.
What year is your truck? Iím guessing a diesel. It is hard to imagine you are running close. My 2019 F350 dually has lots of cushion puling 16k with a payload of 5598 and 31,000 pull weight. Scales loaded including full water and auxiliary fuel tank pw is around 3400 and gvwr of truck and trailer scales between 25,200 and 25870. What is different on your truck? I thought you would have a lot of cushion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grapehound View Post
I think what 45RPM is suggesting is to check your cargo weight rating on your drivers side door pillar of your tundra to see if your cargo capacity is pushed by the weight of the trailer's tongue. Trailer tongue weights are notoriously under-estimated by manufacturers, as they usually represent an empty trailer. If your truck's cargo capacity is just a few hundred pounds more than your trailer tongue weight, then you'll be legally "overweight" if you just put a second passenger in your truck or add any gear to the trailer or even fill your propane and/or water tank(s).

I believe that if you have your truck and trailer weighed at a weigh station (CAT scale) you will get the best information as to whether your truck is a bit over-matched by your trailer or not. The CAT scale will tell you the weight that's on your TV's front wheels and rear wheels, as well as the weight on the trailer axles. Driving your trailer home from the dealer on a sunny day is very different from navigating steep, twisting downgrades with an overloaded trailer or navigating an interstate highway in high winds.

We have a big diesel RAM dually one ton pickup and pull a supposedly lightweight "half ton towable" Rockwood fifth wheel (7,700# empty) and when we went to a CAT scale, we found we were dangerously close to being overweight. Hard to imagine but very common in the RV world.
CaptnJohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 05:48 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred123 View Post
is that 950# an actual weight that you measured?
Yes, tongue weight is put to the scale. Includes a WHD and 2 full 30# LP tanks.

-Rich
45RPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #15

CaptnJohn, my one ton dually has a cargo capacity of 2,387. It's
a 2008 Dodge RAM 3500 Megacab dually with a 3.73 rear, a six speed transmission, and a 6.7 l. Cummins turbo diesel.

My front axle has a weight rating on the door sticker of 5,200#. When I weighed my truck and RV on a CAT scale, including my wife and me, our three big greyhounds, and some gear, the front axle weighed in at an actual weight of 5,100#.

I don't want to hijack this thread and talk about my truck. I am just suggesting that trucks are often perceived as more capable than what they are for what they can haul and trailers are often under-rated in terms of their actual weight. A CAT scale tells all.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RAMSticker1.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	225867  

6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Old Yesterday, 11:21 PM   #16

Good looking rig. I hope you really enjoy it. Isnít there a outside kitchen under those bunks? Jay
Old Today, 08:45 AM   #17

All the weight issues aside, congrats on your new rig! We've had our 2509s for 2 years and absolutely love it. Get out there and use it as much as you can, once all this craziness dies down. Have fun!!
Old Today, 11:23 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay2504 View Post
Good looking rig. I hope you really enjoy it. Isnít there a outside kitchen under those bunks? Jay

Yes there is itís pretty awesome stove and fridge. It also has a griddle that attaches on the side and a little counter that attaches next to the griddle.
Old Today, 11:24 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ Midwest View Post
All the weight issues aside, congrats on your new rig! We've had our 2509s for 2 years and absolutely love it. Get out there and use it as much as you can, once all this craziness dies down. Have fun!!

Thank you looking forward to getting out there. Right now itís sitting in my drive way just looking pretty.