Old 04-12-2017, 12:30 PM   #1

Greetings - 8288 maiden voyage this past weekend

Greetings all, excited owners of a 2017 Rockwood Signature 8288WSA fifth-wheel and though we've previously owned a 2004 and 2014 Winnebago Class C and A respectively, we're most excited about how this 5'er trailer has the living quarters laid out.

Just finished our maiden-voyage, shake-out trip this past weekend, to the Washington State coast, sustained winds and gusts were expected to be in the 50's to 60MPH and we weren't disappointed. Friday night, I decided to hitch back up to the truck for a bit more stability and indeed made it a bit easier to sleep.

Here's my first of likely many more questions to come.

Upon arrival at the campground and getting parked, DW entered the trailer and turned on the gas furnace, temps were in the low 40's.

At about this same time, I had also finished connecting to shore power and then proceeded to finish other outside details, unhooking and leveling, etc.

After about 15 minutes or so, other campers walked by and mentioned the entire campground was without electricity, likely due to the winds already being enough to blow your cap off your head. They continued on their way and I stuck my head in the trailer and DW mentioned the furnace wasn't coming on, neither heat nor blower.

Lights worked fine, no obvious breaker tripped or fuse out and maybe 10 minutes or so after this, electricity to the campground was restored, microwave display lit up and magically, the furnace blower and heater kicked on.

I had not given thought yet to the power outage and shore connection being associated with the furnace not working.

Since being home and running on just battery, furnace still works normally.

I'm thinking I can try to duplicate the issue at hand, but was curious if one of you has encountered something similar? Can't say I've come across something like this before.

Anyway, we're excited for the camping season to settle down and temps to come up a bit?

FCCank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:33 PM   #2
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Maybe needed to purge air out of line.......Light stove first....

bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 12:46 PM   #3

DW was proud of herself for thinking to light the stove burners and mentioned that they lit right away.

Odd thing about the furnace/blower is that they never came on, or cycled on/off as if the furnace was even trying to light the gas. I left the thermostat settings as set and when the electricity was restored to the campground, bingo, 'HEAT'
Old 04-12-2017, 04:37 PM   #4

Furnace problem during shore power outage?

well, the furnace still operated normally while connected to my shore power here at home, but with the 30amp breaker for that circuit switched off.
Not sure that simulated what really was occurring at the campground last weekend anyway.

I guess I'll file this one away just on the chance there should ever be the odd power-outage in the future.