Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-02-2020, 01:19 PM   #1

Hardwired EMS in Rockwood 2608BS

Hi Everyone,
In the process of purchasing a new Rockwood 2021 2608BS and am interested in installing a hardwired EMS system. I'm looking at purchasing the Hughes Power Watchdog 50amp hardwired model but have a few questions. I haven't picked up the TT yet so don't have it to look at for reference.

Is there a good place in the 2608BS to install a hardwired EMS?
Anyone who has done this in a 2608BS have any tips or advice?

Thank you.
mwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 01:35 PM   #2
Part-Time Campground Host

I don't have a 2608BS, but our camper is similar in that our power panels are under the fridge. I recently installed an EMS with no issues. I'm almost certain you have plenty of space to the right or behind your power panel, the converter is probably under there also. As you probably know you will be able to access the shore power cable on the power panel. It's the 6 gauge wires.
Here's a couple of pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200831_172228.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	384.9 KB
ID:	238224   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200831_094906.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	348.6 KB
ID:	238225  
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:16 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I don't have a 2608BS, but our camper is similar in that our power panels are under the fridge. I recently installed an EMS with no issues. I'm almost certain you have plenty of space to the right or behind your power panel, the converter is probably under there also. As you probably know you will be able to access the shore power cable on the power panel. It's the 6 gauge wires.
Here's a couple of pics:
Thanks for the feedback and the pictures. I see you have the PI unit with the display. Looks like a nice clean install. I'm considering that as an option as well.
Old 09-02-2020, 05:12 PM   #4
Part-Time Campground Host

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Thanks for the feedback and the pictures. I see you have the PI unit with the display. Looks like a nice clean install. I'm considering that as an option as well.
I would totally recommend the PI. It works great. If you have any questions please contact me. PM or I'll give you a phone # by PM.
Equalizer Hitch w/4-Point Sway Control

Days camped since 2015(retirement): 1659
cboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cboss View Post
I would totally recommend the PI. It works great. If you have any questions please contact me. PM or I'll give you a phone # by PM.
Thanks! I will do that.
Old 09-03-2020, 06:17 PM   #6

I have an older version of your trailer, bed is oriented differently and my bath is a pass thru...
Anyway, for me there was lots of room under the fridge to install the EMS. Lots of slop in the wires also, I was able to pull the power center out far enough to easily work on it.

Unlike Cboss, I mounted my display on the door side of the fridge cabinet. I'm able to check the display from outside while I hook up and it's easy enough to see while inside.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2020, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailorSam20500 View Post
I have an older version of your trailer, bed is oriented differently and my bath is a pass thru...
Anyway, for me there was lots of room under the fridge to install the EMS. Lots of slop in the wires also, I was able to pull the power center out far enough to easily work on it.

Unlike Cboss, I mounted my display on the door side of the fridge cabinet. I'm able to check the display from outside while I hook up and it's easy enough to see while inside.
Thank you for sharing this information. I plan to install under the fridge as well. With the fridge cabinet right by the door it does give some mounting options for the display.
Old 09-08-2020, 09:11 AM   #8

We have a 2020 2608bs. I've installed the PI ems behind the breaker panel. It was cramped but doable. Hardest part was mounting it to the floor. I made sure to set the off delay the way I wanted it beforehand. Nothing but good things to say about it. It prevented a possible issue on the first outing by keeping the ac units off ( as well as the rest of it ) while the cg power came and went several times in just a minute or so.
whirledpeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledpeaz View Post
We have a 2020 2608bs. I've installed the PI ems behind the breaker panel. It was cramped but doable. Hardest part was mounting it to the floor. I made sure to set the off delay the way I wanted it beforehand. Nothing but good things to say about it. It prevented a possible issue on the first outing by keeping the ac units off ( as well as the rest of it ) while the cg power came and went several times in just a minute or so.
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered the PI EMS-HW50C. Did you use screws to mount the unit to the floor? From my understanding there is 5/8 tongue and groove for the floor so should be safe to put in short screws. I'll have to check the owner's manual on the A/C to set the delay. What value did you have to use?
Old 09-08-2020, 01:56 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhite View Post
Thanks for the feedback. I've ordered the PI EMS-HW50C. Did you use screws to mount the unit to the floor? From my understanding there is 5/8 tongue and groove for the floor so should be safe to put in short screws. I'll have to check the owner's manual on the A/C to set the delay. What value did you have to use?
You are welcome! Yes I screwed it down. I should have said "on delay". There's only two settings on the EMS. I chose the longer one - 136 secs iirc. The other is 15 secs.
whirledpeaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rockwood