Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 07:44 PM   #1

have trouble feeling the love.

we are getting ready to take our new 2018 8299BS out for the first time tomorrow. sure seems there are some what I would call design flaws.
the level control for the jacks is in the front pass through storage, you can not stick your head in there to see what button you are pushing to raise or lower the trailer to mate up to the 5th wheel hitch and see if you are high enough or not. seems like a bad place to put it as you can not see around the door well enough to see the hitch. our old trailer had the raise and lower button out under the front over hang. what a pain it looks like it will be, maybe when I understand the buttons and where they are it will be easier but this sure looks like a fubar to me. then the water filter and access the bypass valves is behind a panel that runs all across the trailer in the pass thought storage area, so to remove the screws and the panel it looks like you have to unload the storage compartment to get the screws and panel out. sure looks like another fubar. I have a ton of stress in my life from other things right now but the new trailer is sure not looking very user friendly. I guess it will all work out in the end but it is sure not looking very easy.
also seems like for what you pay for these things they could give you a manual that is for what you bought. all the manuals I have seen so far will make good fire starter cause they sure do not deal with details. very high level info. like I said having trouble feeling the major dollar new trailer love.
going to dewinterize it in the morning and hit the road around noon.
bcnu53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 07:51 PM   #2

Prob get worse tomorrow. I always stress out until all unhooked and set up and I crack my first beer, then its all worth while.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:15 PM   #3

I don’t know anything about fifth wheels, cut could you read the information using a mirror, like the dentist does? Just a thought.

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:31 PM   #4

I own a 2017 8299BS. Yes, the water filter is behind the driver side cargo wall. 4-5 screws and abt 3' of wall hinges out, after you have emptied out that side of the cargo area. Winterization valves are behind there also. The buttons inside right side of cargo area operate the auto-levelling system. Should still be a switch on driver side under overhand to run the front stabizers up and down. Hope this helps.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:39 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcnu53 View Post
we are getting ready to take our new 2018 8299BS out for the first time tomorrow. sure seems there are some what I would call design flaws.
the level control for the jacks is in the front pass through storage, you can not stick your head in there to see what button you are pushing to raise or lower the trailer to mate up to the 5th wheel hitch and see if you are high enough or not. seems like a bad place to put it as you can not see around the door well enough to see the hitch. our old trailer had the raise and lower button out under the front over hang. what a pain it looks like it will be, maybe when I understand the buttons and where they are it will be easier but this sure looks like a fubar to me. then the water filter and access the bypass valves is behind a panel that runs all across the trailer in the pass thought storage area, so to remove the screws and the panel it looks like you have to unload the storage compartment to get the screws and panel out. sure looks like another fubar. I have a ton of stress in my life from other things right now but the new trailer is sure not looking very user friendly. I guess it will all work out in the end but it is sure not looking very easy.
also seems like for what you pay for these things they could give you a manual that is for what you bought. all the manuals I have seen so far will make good fire starter cause they sure do not deal with details. very high level info. like I said having trouble feeling the major dollar new trailer love.
going to dewinterize it in the morning and hit the road around noon.
Use the switch on the front to run the landing gear for the hitch up part. Right beside the bay door on the video here

https://youtu.be/4SjAib7TsZg

7 seconds above the battery vent.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #6

not sure what 7 seconds is but
the switch by the battery vent is for the hitch hook up light
Old 04-12-2018, 11:31 AM   #7

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:

not sure what 7 seconds is but
the switch by the battery vent is for the hitch hook up light
watch the video, 7 seconds in you can see the switch

Other option is to go back to the dearer and get a proper Pre Delivery Inspection
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 04:52 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
watch the video, 7 seconds in you can see the switch

Other option is to go back to the dearer and get a proper Pre Delivery Inspection
That switch is NOT for the front landing gear!!
sparkycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:15 PM   #9
Do It Yourselfer

We just purchased a Cherokee 294rr and the water heater bypass values are behind a panel in the cargo pass thru on the drivers side. The only cargo door is on the passenger side, or climb under the bed to access for winterization.
Just like bcnu53 stated getting to the valves next winter means removing the cargo and panel. That is, if your small enough to get in there.

There is no antifreeze inlet either. Getting to the bypass valves is one thing, adding antifreeze would be real fun.
I'm in the process of adding a "T" fitting and bypass valve in the line with an outside port before stowing the cargo. Still have to climb in there to change the valves.

Also how much more would it cost to add a light to the cargo area?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
It's Easy to take 'Liberty' for granted, When you have never had it taken from You!
wuffwuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 05:30 PM   #10

With my finger on the button I can see the hitch to unhook. When ready to hook press to have it raise by memory where unhitched and drop it down one inch.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:05 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
With my finger on the button I can see the hitch to unhook. When ready to hook press to have it raise by memory where unhitched and drop it down one inch.
question
if you go back to memory then why do you have to drop down 1 inch ? seems memory is not correct ?

I can not see my hitch with my finger on the button but am getting better at it. hard to change from what you know with the old unit. this new one will be ok once I get it all figured out. you know how we are with change.
Old 04-15-2018, 09:14 AM   #12

Quote:
question
if you go back to memory then why do you have to drop down 1 inch ? seems memory is not correct ?

I can not see my hitch with my finger on the button but am getting better at it. hard to change from what you know with the old unit. this new one will be ok once I get it all figured out. you know how we are with change.
So the pin rides up to avoid a possible high hitch situation. When you unhitched the pin was about 1/2" or more above the plate.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:19 AM   #13
Denver To Yuma In 90 Days

I am completely convinced that the designers of these RV's personally don't own an RV and have probably never even spent one night in an RV in their lives.

JohnD10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:57 AM   #14

just took our CC fifth wheel on the maiden voyage.

It likely took us 3 hours in the rain to set up the first time. Took a half hour to get the grill going. Rained the next four days. We spent the time learning about the rv. Time well spent.

Thank you FR for the cd manual. However, the only thing that does not work on our fifth wheel from the factory is the cd player!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Could be operator error.

Make your first day a very short driving day. Take your time.

Have an easy meal planned. Lots of time for a cold one, perhaps a series of them. It will work out easy, sort of.

Go to bed early. The sun will come up in the morning.
tomkatb is offline   Reply With Quote