Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2016, 05:43 PM   #41

Interesting thread. I have a Dometic 3 way fridge (only a year old). Did not know about the heater strip around door. "if " I have the strip

2015 Coachmen Prism 24J MBS
USN-R '01-present
MarsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:20 PM   #42
Site Team

Don't think 3 way fridges have such a thing.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarsMan View Post
Interesting thread. I have a Dometic 3 way fridge (only a year old). Did not know about the heater strip around door. "if " I have the strip

Mine's not around the whole door, it just sits between the fridge and freezer doors to keep condensation from building up.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 06-02-2016, 04:47 PM   #44
Learning a lot as I go...

Quote:
Originally Posted by roaddiva View Post
I pulled the 5A fuse that is saw in the manual, and disconnected the solar...so far it appears to have been the problem!
Thank you guys so much!!!
Getting ready to do some dry camping with our 2604WS and ran across this thread

There *IS* a better way to accomplish this than pulling the fuse. My Dometic has a light control switch right in the middle. It is contained in a plastic housing that is held in on the top of the fridge compartment by 2 screws. Remove those screws and drop the housing down.

You will find there are two connectors for wires into a circuit board. One connector has 4 wires and provides 12v, Ground, LAC control, and door light switch.

The other connector has two wires going into it of the same color. That is the offensive "heating cable". Examination of the circuit board shows connections from those two pins over to the 12v and ground pins of the 4 prong connector (this is a trick sometimes used to make wire connections). Just unplug that 2 wire cable to disable the heating cable and remount the switch housing.

I will do some meter measurements later and calculate what the electrical load is for this heating cable. And take some pictures and maybe add a switch to be elegant about this.

Note also the LAC is fundamentally a heating element too. In this case it is a 18 ohm 10 watt resistor on the circuit board in the light switch housing. This should only be an issue in colder outside temperatures where I believe they are preventing the fridge section from freezing. I would not remove that as it is not always on like the heating strip.
stevejahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 09:19 AM   #45

My 2604 Dometic Fridge has a condensation prevention heater that has no switch - it is designed to be always on. The wire to the heater runs through the light fixture inside the fridge. There are two wires, one thicker than the other. Cutting the thicker wire turns off the climate control heater but allows the light to still work. I put an on/off switch on the wire to allow heater to work in case I wanted to turn it back on.

Check this out:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/new-d...-113116-2.html
2008 Toyota Sequoia 2WD
Big Vic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, battery