Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2019, 04:55 PM   #21

I know the Andersen Leveler video shows the driver pulling forward off the high end of the leveler, but his axles are wide apart with plenty of room to prevent that from happening to his tires, ... I've used my Andersen Levelers for over four yrs, with axles as close or closer than yours and have never had that happen or even come close to happening, ... if you roll backward off the small end of the leveler the high end of the leveler will be coming up between the tires, ... but if pull forward off the high end as it appears you did, then the small end will be coming up between the tires and can jam as it did, ... just always roll off backward, don't drive forward off the high end and you should have no more problem, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:37 PM   #22
As long as I can!

This happened the first time we used ours. Husband backed up and did not stop so the short one slid up between the wheels. Had to pound it out with a shot hammer.

Went out and bought another set of Lynx Levelers. Should be able to use them much more easily.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:44 PM   #23

Was thinking about getting this...glad I saw your post. Now I'll stick with the plane plastic ramp one...Thanks for the post!
Old 07-11-2019, 08:09 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilltraveling View Post
This happened the first time we used ours. Husband backed up and did not stop so the short one slid up between the wheels. Had to pound it out with a shot hammer.

Went out and bought another set of Lynx Levelers. Should be able to use them much more easily.
That's what I'm using and had to buy and extra set because we went from a single axle to tandem axle. The hardest part for me is getting the spacing correct.
Ruggybuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:30 PM   #25

Would that take the axles out of alignment?
Feba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:12 PM   #26

From this day on this condition should be known as...... wait for it......

Giving your trailer a wedgie.

2018 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT Duramax
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:14 PM   #27

I assume the OP solved his problem. Would be nice if he posted how.
Ron750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:23 PM   #28

So we’ve just purchased a tandem, which we’ll get in 4 weeks. We currently have a pop up. Do we need to raise both wheels when leveling size to side? I see the OP just used one leveler. Would raising just one wheel put undue pressure on either axel?
2011 Ford Flex Limited
campkeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron750 View Post
I assume the OP solved his problem. Would be nice if he posted how.
Ron, read further down his message. He posted the solution in the original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsideup View Post

Macgyver move #1, which was to release the air out of both tires, didn't budge the thing.

MacG move #2 did the trick...using the tow truck's factory jack, I eventually was able to remove a wheel and get things back under control.

By the way, those anti-sway bars on an Equalizer hitch don't enjoy being jacked around...
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:26 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkeri View Post
So we’ve just purchased a tandem, which we’ll get in 4 weeks. We currently have a pop up. Do we need to raise both wheels when leveling size to side? I see the OP just used one leveler. Would raising just one wheel put undue pressure on either axel?
I don't think the OP used just one. I think you just see the one that ended up between the tires. You should raise both wheels, not just one.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:30 PM   #31

Quote:
Since I'm still posting away... on my tandem I raise both axles. It seems to be more stable (to me) and I figure that since it normally sits on two, why not level two? It may be okay from an engineering standpoint to level just one wheel, but it isn't that much trouble to do both.
david_reaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #32

Ok. It didn’t make sense to me to level just one wheel.
2011 Ford Flex Limited
campkeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 11:17 PM   #33

Quote:
Ok. It didn’t make sense to me to level just one wheel.
It doesn't. In fact, it won't raise the trailer much since there is an equilizer unless the trailer has torsion axles.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:02 AM   #34

I thought of getting those but found some old cutting boards from restaurants work really well, easy for me to get as I repair restaurant equipment.
Chris Pastuzyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:50 AM   #35

Another dumb thing

Drove 40 miles down the road got a text , where r the car keys, it was in the street when we left. The key were in my pocket. Had drive back to the house. Cost me a hour and a half. Need to get a spare set for the house.
Dave Bulkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roberte52 View Post
Glad I have spread axles on my Freedom Express

No worries, spread axles with my Freedom Express as well 😀
Vimax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:28 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vimax View Post
No worries, spread axles with my Freedom Express as well 😀
Just make sure you check your spring hangers and the frame area they are welded to on a regular basis.
babock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #38

Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsideup View Post
These curved wedges, available in both poly and metal, are popular and effective as either jacks or leveling devices. Usually carried to be a jack, my use yesterday was to up-level one side just a few inches...but my spotter got distracted by a visiting dog for just a few seconds...so when I got my "STOP" yell, it was just too late. This is a picture of what I saw, in a zero cell signal environment, and that thing was wedged in TIGHT between the tires. So what to do?
I can't drive either forward or backwards because each tire is imparting a different directional force making matters worse.
Macgyver move #1, which was to release the air out of both tires, didn't budge the thing.
MacG move #2 did the trick...using the tow truck's factory jack, I eventually was able to remove a wheel and get things back under control.
By the way, those anti-sway bars on an Equalizer hitch don't enjoy being jacked around...

Of all the lists I keep, the most important one, the one that curiously isn't written down anywhere, is entitled "things to remember".Attachment 208862
Throw that thing into the first trash can you see.
jjrrtt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 PM   #39

As the OP, I'm glad I could provide a bit of warning as to what can happen with this device if proper oversight care isn't used. Many of the comments have been interesting, if not entertaining.
I am compelled to state that I acquired this device in 2015 firstly as a emergency tire-off-the-ground jack, and it does that job quite well on my trailer. Having dual axles (torsion type), it has been deployed mostly as a time saving tool allowing me to pull forward or backward a foot or so to raise the same side wheel off the ground to service the bearings and brakes.
Although I have used this wedge jack to level one side on occasion (successfully too!), for the record, I mostly rely on an extensive Lynx block kit to raise both wheels on one side.
We will be more carefull in the future, but this device still has a place in my on-the-road tool arsenal as a effective and simple jack.
metalsideup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 11:00 AM   #40

No Worries

I don't think it matters how long a person has been "at it", every once in a while dumb stuff is gonna happen.

The stuff you have go over and over like a loop in your head afterwards, and you punish yourself cause you know better...

Stuff happens...
6CatDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote