Old 05-01-2018, 08:57 PM   #1

Hitch weight?

Hi everyone. I have bee lurking for about a year now and have a question. My wife and I have narrowed our choice of a new TT to the 2504 or 2509. I have experience with a popup TT and extensive towing experience from work. We would prefer the 2504 but are finding it is easier to locate a 2509. Anyway, my question is this. In looking at the 2504 specs, the trailer weight and hitch weight are different each year. I see comments about the manufacturer specs not being very accurate but am wondering why the dramatic changes each year for the same layout? I ask because we are thinking of buying a TT this fall. My current vehicle is a 2005 Nissan Xterra. In looking at the models, the 2016 model specs show the trailer would be at the very limit of my vehicle and every other year is over. Now, before everyone starts on the TV problem, we are going to buy my in-law's Lincoln Navigator and use it as the primary TV. However we have been waiting for them to find a replacement and would like to hit some close places in the mean time. We live in western Colorado and are a couple of hours from some really cool places, not to mention we could hit a few places within 30 minutes. My point is that we might look for a used 2016 2504 if I can count on those specs being close and just do some short trips around here.

Snowbum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:02 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Hello,

Pulling is not a problem. Stopping is the problem. Buying a used trailer make sure the brakes are redone or checked.

As far as weight my rule of thumb. If the Gross Weight of the trailer can not be towed by the TV than it is a no go. Full Stop. The argument of using it for short trips doesn't fly in today's ligation based get even society. Why risk it?

B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:19 PM   #3

Thanks. Gross Weight would leave me about 900 lbs to pack. Again, if the manufactures specs are close, which is why I asked the question. Good point on the brakes. Thanks for pointing it out.
Snowbum007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:25 PM   #4

spec weights don't include options and upgrades. if you are not planning on cross country trips make your own choices. The only thing better then the weight police are the law suite police. In 20 years of working in and with law enforcement I have never seen or heard of a police officer investigating a non commercial vehicle for being a few hundred pounds over weight. If you love the other floor plan and cant find one new order it.
Kimber45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:31 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to B and B
It s easy to spend your money. I towed overweight thinking we were fully covered by all accounts. Real weight was over. Many good posts and ideas here. I am in Canada and have never heard of reconstructing a accident for being over weight.
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:54 PM   #6

If the cargo capacity of the vehicle won’t handle 15% of the gvwr for a tounge weight its a no go
If the vehicle is t rated to tow the gvwr its a no go
If the frontal area is larger then the max allowed its a no go

You would be surprised how fast 900mobs of cargo capacity in a camper can go
Figure if you need to haul water there is 200 to 300 lbs
The battery isn’t included in the weight as well as any options
What do you plan to cook with eat with are you going to keep clothes in the camper food and beverages camp chairs a stove for outside cooking

Heck I know I have at least 100 lbs of cast iron for camp cooking myself
Old 05-01-2018, 10:06 PM   #7

Don't go by the dry weights or truck towing capacity weights ever. Advertised numbers are best case and never correct.

For the TV since you cannot weigh with the trailer you are left stacking up hitch weights against a payload sticker. Start with say 1500lbs payload (likely lower for the Lincoln so check the yellow door sticker).

Figure tongue weight. Take gross weight of trailer (dry+cargo capacity) and figure 10-15% to get this. Many just use 12.5%.

Add you, your wife, a WDH, gear, and tongue weight and that should be under the payload number. Pretty sure you will be over.

In the end once you get it all together weigh your rig to make sure you are under axle max weights and payload is less of a concern.

For trailers Dry weights mean nothing. I assume full weight (full cargo) the way I load it up. Realistically you would need to add 500-1000lbs to the dry weight with gear minimum. Remember water weighs 8lbs a gallon and you have a 43gallon tank so that's 344lbs. Add battery (75lbs) and propane (55lbs ea) and you are at 525 roughly without gear as dry weights include none of these. You don't have to fill the tanks for travel in every case and you can also unpack some things if at full weight.

Why do weights change? Different materials and material densities, different wiring and installers doing things different. Simple axle placement will change the tongue weight. Tires can weigh 5lbs more on one model than another.

Your experience towing will make you more comfortable but what do you have experience towing? This TT will test your TV limits if you were not towing anything like a large box before with a 1/2 ton truck know that this will be a very different experience not that it cannot be done just that it is different.

For me my 6600lb trailer I feel is too much sometimes for my 1/2 ton truck so I am upgrading to a 1ton. The other option was to look at trailers under 5500lbs...there are many options there as well. I learned the expensive way, try to learn from my mistake.

Stopping is important too so do get brakes checked.

Sorry for the length and best of luck! When you get it you will love it.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 11:53 PM   #8
Site Team

Snowbum, you need to post more than just Lincoln Navigator.
Need year, engine size, rear end ratio, factory tow package or not, payload capacity.

But if your intention is to use the Xterra temporarily, NO way!🤤

ESPECIALLY in Colorado.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
Equalizer WDH
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:23 PM   #9

I am the owner of a 2016 2504s. My tounge weight is 650 pounds with 3 group 31 12volt batteries right behind the full twin 30 pound propane tanks. That measurement was also made with an empty fresh water tank. One of the reasons that newer 2504s are heavier is because Rockwood switched to a 5/8 plywood floor with an enclosed underneath. Mine has the luan floor and a open underneath. I hope this helps with some of of the confusion. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 09:05 AM   #10
Grammar Pedant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbum007 View Post
[...] My wife and I have narrowed our choice of a new TT to the 2504 or 2509. I have experience with a popup TT and extensive towing experience from work. We would prefer the 2504 but are finding it is easier to locate a 2509. [...] My point is that we might look for a used 2016 2504 if I can count on those specs being close and just do some short trips around here.
2504S vs 2509S ... Check, that was me.
Previous experience with popup ... Check, that was me.
Prefer 2504S but much easier to find 2509S ... Check, that was me.
Living in Colorado ... Check, that is me (albeit on the eastern front range ... Erie)
Looking for a used 2504S ... Check, that was me.

As mentioned, use the trailer's GVWR as the expected weight. Ignore the dry weights. It's about as helpful a number as daily bigfoot sightings in the Oregon Cascades. You'll be hitching up and pulling a number that is very near the GVWR, so just use that.

Nissan Xterra in Colorado + 6,200 lb trailer = No way, never, absolute bat-$h|t crazy. I wouldn't tow that combination on a dare. Borrow your in-law's Navigator until that situation stabilizes, but don't use your Xterra in the interim.

Good luck finding a used 2504S. I never did. I see a few listed on RVTrader, RVUSA, etc., but they are few and not local. They are also not priced well enough to be interesting.

Trailer market in CO is jacked up ... I drove to Wichita to buy my popup and I drove to IN to buy my trailer. I hope you find what you're looking for. Let me know if you have any questions.

RV: 2018 Rockwood Mini Lite 2504S
TV: 2019 F-350 Lariat 4WD CCSB 6.7 PSD 3.55, 3,591 lb payload
Former RV: 2007 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Former TV: 2005 F-150 King Ranch 4WD SCrew 5.4L Tow Package
67L48 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch, weight