Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #1

Hooking up the satellite

I just purchased a new rockwood 8280WS and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up the direct tv box? The dealer said to plug the satellite into the outside jack and to run a coax from the jack labeled TV to the satellite receiver. I then ran RCA cables from the receiver box to the three jacks marked cable, but can not get the tv to pick up a signal from the box. I would hook it up directly from the tv, but I can not figure out for the life of me how to get the tv down so I can plug anything into it! I would appreciate any advice given. If someone could just tell me how to get the tv off the wall I would greatly appreciate it.
NBCain2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:27 AM   #2
Lottery Non-Winner

If you are using RCA cables between the satellite decoder/receiver and the TV, be sure to tell the TV to look for signal on those cables. There should be a selection within the TV's menu choices where you can set it to one of the other inputs. In this case, the RCA cables.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #3
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCain2 View Post
I just purchased a new rockwood 8280WS and was wondering if anyone could tell me how to hook up the direct tv box? The dealer said to plug the satellite into the outside jack and to run a coax from the jack labeled TV to the satellite receiver. I then ran RCA cables from the receiver box to the three jacks marked cable, but can not get the tv to pick up a signal from the box. I would hook it up directly from the tv, but I can not figure out for the life of me how to get the tv down so I can plug anything into it! I would appreciate any advice given. If someone could just tell me how to get the tv off the wall I would greatly appreciate it.
Does your camper have an outside plate like the one displayed? and an inside plate like this?

If so, the only connections that will work for you is the SAT on the outside to the SAT on the inside to your SAT receiver. Then run cables to your TV's AUX input.

If you do not have a dedicated SAT line (prewired like above) a Simple mod will allow you to use the single exterior cable connection for your satellite receiver. (attached) Remember if you use the CBL connection on the exterior of the camper the Roof Antenna amp must be OFF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CBL and SAT inputs.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	7831   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sandpiper Cable connections Bedroom.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	7832   Click image for larger version

Name:	SATTV DIAGRAM.jpg
Views:	537
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	7834  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf satellite_rewire.pdf (957.8 KB, 54 views)
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #4

I really appreciate the help and the pictures especially. What they have shown me is that it appears.... Note again, appears.... That I have done it correctly, which scares me. That would mean that there is a break in one of the circuits. If I could figure out how to get the tv off the wall I would hook the box up direct with an HDMI cable. All if the TV sets hung in my house consistently just lift up from the wall mount and pull away. I've lifted and pulled so hard on the one in the RV that I feel like I'm going to tear the wall down. I tried to call the dealer yesterday, and they are usually open till 5 on Saturday's, but tropical storm lee had everything closed up tight as a drum. I am in south Louisiana and bought the RV in Lafayette. I guess they were nervous. I remember before Katrina and Rita, a tropical storm in sixth Louisiana was just another day. Nothing really changed unless a storm grew to a Cat 2. Guess people are still shell shocked. I don't really blame them.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBCain2 View Post
I remember before Katrina and Rita, a tropical storm in sixth Louisiana was just another day. Nothing really changed unless a storm grew to a Cat 2. Guess people are still shell shocked. I don't really blame them.
that and the media hype. lots of over sell right now.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 10:47 PM   #6

You have to have the radio/DVD player on av1 or av2. I have a rockwood too. The tv will come out if you lift straight up. I am from south la too if you need more help message ms and I will give you my phone number might be able to walk you through.
mstell2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 06:12 AM   #7

Thanks! You were right. I just kept lifting and it finally broke free. I hooked up an HDMI cable to the back of the tv and went straight to the sat box. I couldnt get a signal through the gaming, tv switch.
I thought it lifted up, I just needed a little reassurance. It was a tight little booger!
Thanks again,

Nate Cain
Old 09-06-2011, 07:56 AM   #8

My tv's mounting bracket has a lock bar/theft bar across the top of the mount to prevent tv from being lifted off or bouncing loose while traveling. It's kind of hard getting my fingers in there but giving a good pull on bar pulls it out then TV can be lifted straight up and off.
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote