Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #1

Cool Hot Water Heater Maintenance

This may be a silly question. When you are adding water to your camper through the city water connection, does the hot water tank fill first? My husband read online that it is a good idea to clean your hot water tank with vinegar. It said to pump it into the tank using the city water connection. Has anyone ever done this?
roxie1824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #2

Sure is going to make the Water Filter taste like Apples! Have him remove the A-rod and drain the W/H! Then cut off a old or New washing machine water supply hose and screw 1/2 of it on your garden hose and place it in the W/H drain hole! Hold on to it and watch the (White Crud) come out of your heater! A BIG bottle brush inserted at the same time will help bring the Crud to the Exit hole! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:39 AM   #3
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Hold on to it and watch the (White Crud) come out of your heater!
Close the HWT bypass valves before you do this!

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:01 AM   #4
Site Team

To answer your question. No the water heater tank doesn't fill first. It fills at the same time as the rest of the plumbing. In fact, to get water into the tank you have to open the hot water valve on a faucet so that the air or existing water will be displaced with water from the supply.

removing the drain and cleaning it that way is a better idea than pouring vinegar into the city water connection.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:26 AM   #5

Also make sure the water heater has been off long enough for the water to cool down before you try to empty it Ask me (or rather my DH) how we know
2014 Wildwood 231RBXL - Traded Her In
2016 Days Camped = 5; Reserved = 14 so far
2015 Days Camped = 24 / 2014 Days Camped = 23
Mrs Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:04 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
To answer your question. No the water heater tank doesn't fill first. It fills at the same time as the rest of the plumbing. In fact, to get water into the tank you have to open the hot water valve on a faucet so that the air or existing water will be displaced with water from the supply.

removing the drain and cleaning it that way is a better idea than pouring vinegar into the city water connection.
This is bad advice, you should open pressure relief valve on the water heater to fill and purge air.

Why you ask?
It's very possible that the water heater is bypassed, therefore you'll still get water out of the hot side faucet but the tank is still empty.
so if you turn on the electric element it will blow since there's no water in the tank.

TURBS
08 duramax tuned n modded
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:21 PM   #7

Check out RVgeeks on YouTube for great step by step videos that will answer your question.
Center Point suspension
2018 Ram Laramie 3500 6'4" box 2WD
Demco AutoSlide 18k
Telstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 12:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
This is bad advice, you should open pressure relief valve on the water heater to fill and purge air.

Why you ask?
It's very possible that the water heater is bypassed, therefore you'll still get water out of the hot side faucet but the tank is still empty.
so if you turn on the electric element it will blow since there's no water in the tank.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
I appreciate that, but you shouldn't be energizing the heater if it's bypassed. In fact, you should make sure it's not bypassed before energizing the element.
Old 08-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I appreciate that, but you shouldn't be energizing the heater if it's bypassed. In fact, you should make sure it's not bypassed before energizing the element.
My point is if it's forgotten or told that it was un bypassed.
Or you thought you un bypassed it but didnt.
And lastly we've seen on this forum several times where the handles were turned to un bypass the water heater but the inside valve did not turn so water heater remained bypassed.

TURBS
2011 32bhok Sabre
2015 camping "24 nights"
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #10

I made a short wand with a garden hose connector. Small copper pipe, cap soldered on and a couple of small holes drilled axially. I take the anode rod out, shove this up into the tank and let er rip. Just like a holding tank flush wand, but a mini me. I drain and flush the hot water tank at the end of every trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
prestonj12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 01:54 AM   #11
Just a member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie1824 View Post
This may be a silly question. When you are adding water to your camper through the city water connection, does the hot water tank fill first?
Not always - depends on it's proximity to the city water connection. Note the advice in the thread that relates to ensuring the HWT is in fact full and bled of air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxie1824 View Post
My husband read online that it is a good idea to clean your hot water tank with vinegar. It said to pump it into the tank using the city water connection. Has anyone ever done this?
This may be what DH was referring to:

kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Sure is going to make the Water Filter taste like Apples! Have him remove the A-rod and drain the W/H! Then cut off a old or New washing machine water supply hose and screw 1/2 of it on your garden hose and place it in the W/H drain hole! Hold on to it and watch the (White Crud) come out of your heater! A BIG bottle brush inserted at the same time will help bring the Crud to the Exit hole! Youroo!!
Thanks youroo I knew there was a use for my unused washer hook up and it's right there next to my hot water tank. Thanks again for the tip.
mud yapster is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, maintenance, water, water heater