Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #1

Hot water heater use

Hey gang! Getting ready to take our first trip in the 2109s and I'm not quite sure how to correctly use the hot water heater. I know it is gas/electric but I seem to remember in the walk through the tech telling us about some sort of pin we had to pull to to use it on electric (or was it the gas?). Anyway, since cold showers might take a little fun out of the trip, I was wondering if someone could give me a quick how to. Sorry if this seems obvious...
Thanks...and we are very excited to get camping!!
ddepr1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Open up hw heater door lookon lower left switch and pin.
gas option is inside camper lighted toggle switch.
can use one or the other or both at the same time.
dont forget to fill with water first.
and bleed out air
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Oh and dont forget to turn on bypass valve before filling
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:24 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
When you are ready to-----------

When you are ready to shower, turn both electric and gas on to heat water faster. when you are finished with your shower, turn the gas heat off. You have to keep in mind the hot water tank is only six gallons which will not last very long. Take a navy shower, turn water on adjust to right temp, wet down, turn water to a "dribble" by using the button on the shower wand ( the reason you let it dribble, it will keep the temp adjusted, otherwise you will get a "Shot of hot water"), soap down, turn back on, rinse.

A lot of us have made a mod to the ele system for the hot water tank. I installed a 110V AC switch with pilot lite in the kitchen just under the ele outlet between the sink and stove. The switch is available at home depot.
The hot water tank plugs into an outlet near the tank. If you are good at electrical, you can isolate the outlet with the switch. Another words, run the ele that goes to the outlet to the switch, then from the switch to the outlet.
Now you do not have to go outside to turn the ele off and on. You will have the pilot to remind you the ele is on to the tank.

Some simply turn the small switch on and leave it on, turn the tank ele off at your power supply by tripping the circuit breaker.

Good luck.
TST Truck System Technologies TM-507SE
DAYS CAMPED 2023 69 DAYS
[SIGPIC][/SI[SIGPIC]
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Site Team

since we dry camp most of the time, we have to use the propane to heat.
so, since they've explained the electric part, just in case you won't have electric hookups, here's the propane side.

you should have what's called "DSI" or direct spark ignition.
this is so you don't have to go outside to light the pilot light for the WH, like you used to do.
turn your propane tank on and go inside to purge any air in the lines, by lighting the stove burners. this will also purge the lines for your fridge and furnace to use the propane.
your battery supplies the spark by turning the red toggle switch inside, usually by your water pump switch and the tank monitor panel.
the water heater pilot will light and the toggle switch will be lit for as long as the propane takes to heat the water. once it reaches the correct temp, the switch will go dark.
we usually turn the switch off if we're going to be gone for awhile. the water will stay hot for quite awhile in the heater's tank.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 08:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Oh and dont forget to turn on bypass valve before filling
Good one to remember! To make it easier though, maybe say "close the bypass valve" to keep water from bypassing the tank.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:19 AM   #7

Good discussion and photos are included in this link also.
Many other links w/ a search for "WATER HEATER".

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ter-14639.html