Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #1

How Cold Can I Go?

I have a Rockwood 2606WS. I am curious as to how early in the season I can use my rig. I winterize the plumbing system in November. I would like to use the trailer in early April in the Catskills. It will easily get below freezing at night but will normally warm to up 30's or lower 40's during the day.

I know there is an under-chassis heating unit to keep the tanks from freezing but I am concerned with other plumbing pipes, especially the low point drain pipes that stick out from under the chassis.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!
Bayviewrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:26 PM   #2
Kanadian Kamper

If you can guarantee the temperatures as you describe, most here will guarantee that your plumbing will perform just fine. As long as daytime highs always go above freezing, you’re in good temperatures for plumbing performance.
The low point drain lines you mention should be empty if you winterized correctly, so no worries there.

This question gets posted more times than one can count. If you really want assurance that nothing plumbing-wise can go wrong…..don’t de-winterize. Use RV antifreeze for toilet flushing, use paper plates and bottled water.

Then there’s how you’re going to provide heat at that time of year.

Enjoy.

Ken and Terry
2018 Sunseeker 2430S-CD, nicely modified and carried by a 2017 Ford E450 Sport
Former Georgetown 330TS owner for 10 years with more mods than I can count, pushed by our 2017 GMC Terrain
kenandterry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2023, 06:27 PM   #3

Different rig here but those temps wouldn't worry me.
Sunseeker16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #4

I've dry camped into the teens with a winterized camper. Unwinterized, I've gone into the mid 20s overnight with no issues and I don't have tank heaters.

If you're unwinterized, open your cabinets around the faucets to allow warm air in. And fill your water tank rather than using a city water connection unless you pay for a heated hose.
pilotpip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 11:06 AM   #5

In late October we were in Arkansas and had temps get down to 19 - 20 at night. Filled water tank and unhooked fresh water, turned on tank heaters and ran furnace at night and no problem. Got up to 40 during the day.
ajlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2023, 10:31 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajlight View Post
In late October we were in Arkansas and had temps get down to 19 - 20 at night. Filled water tank and unhooked fresh water, turned on tank heaters and ran furnace at night and no problem. Got up to 40 during the day.
One note on tank heaters----

If possible turn on the tank heaters before temps go below 35 degrees. Doing so will allow them to start heating as soon as their internal thermostats hit their set point. The water is then warmed and in turn will spread some heat to surrounding space and benefit nearby water lines if present.

Waiting until water is actually frozen will then take hours and hours to accomplish anything.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 07:30 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayviewrr View Post
I have a Rockwood 2606WS. I am curious as to how early in the season I can use my rig. I winterize the plumbing system in November. I would like to use the trailer in early April in the Catskills. It will easily get below freezing at night but will normally warm to up 30's or lower 40's during the day.

I know there is an under-chassis heating unit to keep the tanks from freezing but I am concerned with other plumbing pipes, especially the low point drain pipes that stick out from under the chassis.

Any thoughts or experiences?

Thanks!
I did an overnight where the night time temp outside dropped to 19F. The cabin was heated, but there were no tank heaters. When morning came everything from the campground water supply to the faucets were not functioning. I am not sure where the freeze line in the camper plumbing was.

The event surprised me since I didn't get any weather forecasts. The end result was no discernable damage once the plumbing thawed out.
Old 02-15-2023, 08:42 AM   #8

The "tank heaters" in my Roo (note the quotation marks) simply heat the bottom of the tank area around the drains and the drains themselves not the tanks. Bet yours are similar.

If worried don't de-winterize until you're on site or a couple of days before you go. At worst there are the bathhouses.

Side story: I just had the laundry room in my home remodeled and noted all the house plumbing was Pex pipe. Plumber informed this was the preferred pipe because if it froze it would just expand and not burst like copper pipe. All the plumbing in my Roo and no doubt your trailer is Pex so catastrophic damage is less likely.

-- Chuck
Old 02-16-2023, 08:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker16 View Post
Different rig here but those temps wouldn't worry me.
Same here. I have noticed the underbelly usually stays eight degrees warmer than ambient even with a slight wind.
I have now run a heat duct to my underbelly for when getting down near or in the teens.

Even then I have the fireplace and LP heat on and try to set it so the LP comes on periodically. There is no magic number as it depends on temp and winds.

Mid to low twenties for extended periods I will be sure I have some water in the tanks and heaters on for the effects of the heated tanks warming the surrounding area.
Open a cabinet door near your low point drains if you have one. Can't hurt. I have mine wrapped with insulation. Does it help? Don't know but it can't hurt.
Husky CenterLine WDH
GolfingDave is offline   Reply With Quote